And like sand through an hour glass... these are the days of our lives... lol

It has been stated (not in this thread for people who are literal thinkers) that child molesters and killers are people who have mental illnesses . So?

:dunno: Just seems sad to me.

All I can say is if someone tries to fake some of us out then there gonna be hell to pay for.. but I can only say sorry bubba (or sister in that case) and tell them to kindly mosey off and not do the mind games.. Sunny did show something that told me mind games but wasnt sure till now.. ehh how I hate mind games and my tingling sense does ring on me a bit so ah.. hopefully that Sunny will learn a valuable lesson and not fool anyone again .. ever.. or not.. whatever to that...

you posted a dictionary definition of empathy meaning ability to share and understand feelings.

:dunno:

edit: mbrek said that what people like sunny do is akin to emotional rape. that jumped off the screen at me because that's exactly how i felt after learning the truth about another AD member but didn't have the words for it till mbrek said it. It's pretty hard to feel sympathy empathy compassion whatever against someone who violated you like that.

I feel much the same way and I feel sad for those people who lost sleep over the supposed goingons in their fake friend's lives. I would be outraged to find out it's all a lie.

Where do we draw the line at emotional deception? At what point should we define emotional rape?

If someone gives you a gift is it OK for you to accept it? A person will argue that they didn't ask for the gift and the other person gave it willingly. Did Sunny ask for help or did people offer it willingly? Is there no responsibility of prudence on the side of the gift giver?

To put it another way, if you buy a house you cannot afford is it your fault or the bank? Are the Madoff victims who were getting 15% return when everyone else in the country is getting 3%(if that) bear no culpability?

Con artist exist and certainly they deserve all the blame, but does that absolve a person from the responsibility of practicing common sense?

IMO, you still have to protect yourself. This means realizing the risk and, if you still want to go through with it, accepting the outcome. You can't blame yourself for getting scammed, but you can be a little smarter the next time around. If I gave someone $20 and they didn't give it back, it's the best $20 I ever spent because it cost me so little to find out someone is a scumbag.

The people on this site did what they did because they are good people and I think that is the only thing that should be taken away from this. Sometimes good people get burned, it happens. Getting mad about it isn't worth it, we learn and move on.

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

Question:

Is the currently posting member "Squirt" the same person as Byrdie's supposed "nephew?"

Where do we draw the line at emotional deception? At what point should we define emotional rape?

If someone gives you a gift is it OK for you to accept it? A person will argue that they didn't ask for the gift and the other person gave it willingly. Did Sunny ask for help or did people offer it willingly? Is there no responsibility of prudence on the side of the gift giver?

To put it another way, if you buy a house you cannot afford is it your fault or the bank? Are the Madoff victims who were getting 15% return when everyone else in the country is getting 3%(if that) bear no culpability?

Con artist exist and certainly they deserve all the blame, but does that absolve a person from the responsibility of practicing common sense?

IMO, you still have to protect yourself. This means realizing the risk and, if you still want to go through with it, accepting the outcome. You can't blame yourself for getting scammed, but you can be a little smarter the next time around. If I gave someone $20 and they didn't give it back, it's the best $20 I ever spent because it cost me so little to find out someone is a scumbag.

The people on this site did what they did because they are good people and I think that is the only thing that should be taken away from this. Sometimes good people get burned, it happens. Getting mad about it isn't worth it, we learn and move on.

I would think it's the con artist's job to bypass those defenses. Even Robert Hare, a forensic psychologist, who has studied psychopaths for many years has been fooled by some of them. If there's anyone who should know better, it's him.

I don't think it's a good hearted thing to try to pretend to be something you aren't or to play with other people's emotions for amusement or just to cause chaos to relieve boredom at all.

Quite a few people lost sleep over a certain banned poster's allegations of being brutally beaten and raped by her BF. Imagine how they felt when they learned it was all a lie. I would be angry at being exploited like this.

I would think it's the con artist's job to bypass those defenses. Even Robert Hare, a forensic psychologist, who has studied psychopaths for many years has been fooled by some of them. If there's anyone who should know better, it's him.

I don't think it's a good hearted thing to try to pretend to be something you aren't or to play with other people's emotions for amusement or just to cause chaos to relieve boredom at all.

Quite a few people lost sleep over a certain banned poster's allegations of being brutally beaten and raped by her BF. Imagine how they felt when they learned it was all a lie. I would be angry at being exploited like this.

Point taken..

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

Question:

Is the currently posting member "Squirt" the same person as Byrdie's supposed "nephew?"

I saw that, but I think it's a new person. I think that poster's OP yesterday indicated he/she was hearing. The "nephew Squirt" wasn't. At any rate, send it to the mods to have them look into it.

Edit: Sorry, not yesterday, but October. I just saw the post this morning and thought it was yesterday. The original Squirt was here in like 2009 during the whole Byrdie saga?

The original Squirt had his profile deleted. That is why it became available again. Sometimes this is done on accounts believed unnecessary for AD. The downside is the new person has no idea what happened. :aw:

The original Squirt had his profile deleted. That is why it became available again. Sometimes this is done on accounts believed unnecessary for AD. The downside is the new person has no idea what happened. :aw:

Deleting also removes all activity by that member. Since the original Squirt contributed nothing useful, it is an easy way to flush the crap.

If someone gives you a gift is it OK for you to accept it? A person will argue that they didn't ask for the gift and the other person gave it willingly. Did Sunny ask for help or did people offer it willingly? Is there no responsibility of prudence on the side of the gift giver? ...

If someone offers you a box of chocolates, but then you bite into them and find out they're actually wax lookalikes, is that the recipient's fault? No, the shame goes to the person who knowingly tried to pass them off.

Sunny asked for advice. She also brought people into her personal life with details that were all fabricated. To avoid situations like this, you are proposing not letting anyone get close on the chance that this might happen. If that's how you experience life, I feel very sad for you.

If someone offers you a box of chocolates, but then you bite into them and find out they're actually wax lookalikes, is that the recipient's fault? No, the shame goes to the person who knowingly tried to pass them off.

Some people might say "You're stupid for eating chocolates from someone you don't know."

That's a sad state to be in.

I'd rather eat wax truffles than assume that everyone is out to get me.

Some people might say "You're stupid for eating chocolates from someone you don't know."

That's a sad state to be in.

I'd rather eat wax truffles than assume that everyone is out to get me.

Haha, who says you don't know giver? :hmm:

But I agree - I've had more good chocolates than wax ones... it's worth the risk. But still, shame on the person trying to pass off the fakes.

Sunny asked for advice. She also brought people into her personal life with details that were all fabricated. To avoid situations like this, you are proposing not letting anyone get close on the chance that this might happen. If that's how you experience life, I feel very sad for you.

No, I'm not proposing that you never let anyone get close. I'm saying you have to understand that it might not work out the way you want and it's a necessary risk.

Nobody lets their kids eat home made candy apples at Halloween anymore and rightfully so. I'm not happy about it, but it is the right thing to do.

As I said, blame should be laid solely on the perpetrator, but leaving your wallet on the table is just asking for trouble(sad as it is).

No, I'm not proposing that you never let anyone get close. I'm saying you have to understand that it might not work out the way you want it and it's a necessary risk.

Nobody lets their kids eat home made candy apples at Halloween anymore and rightfully so. I'm not happy about it, but it is the right thing to do.

As I said, blame lies solely on the perpetrator, but leaving your wallet on the table is just asking for trouble(sad as it is).

There is a line between trusting for morale's sake and being cautious. As more crime/wrongdoings occur, the area for being cautious gets bigger and bigger. However, I hope trusting someone will never become something that one avoids to do for the sake of being cautious.

Shel- you don't feel the least bit compassionate for a person who thinks so little of themselves that they have to create a whole new personality?.

I honestly do not believe that the problem is how little these people think of themselves. It's how little they think of every body else.

Back