am I the only one? NO BASHING!!

suicidegirl

Reaction score
am I the only one who HATES her cochlear implant?

I was implanted two years ago, all expenses were paid by my insurance. for a while, I found it sooo amazing and I fell in love with classicial music. it was interesting to see how I had correctly "imagined" what the sounds would sound like.

but fast forward a year later, the novelty wore off and I began to realize that I didn't really enjoy wearing my implant. I never could get used to the background noise. I spend a LOT of time doing nothing at work, and random sounds bothered me so much. sounds like silverware clinking against eachother, the air conditioner humming, and dogs barking. and people talking? I just couldn't get used to it.

it's been several months since I last wore my implant and I don't regret getting an implant at all. my curiousity was satisified and I guess the adage "silence is golden" applies to me. I just can't imagine being hearing.

Ack, interesting -- environmential "noise" that hearies were talking about. Thanks for sharing.

You are not the only one who hates wearing a CI. There are some members in here who feel
the same way as you do.

I'm glad you enjoyed the CI while it lasted, and I'm glad for you that you enjoy not wearing it.
Guess the noise around "us hearing people" is difficult to get used to. :)

Sorry to hear that but I'm glad you resolved it to what works for you.

I'm the opposite. I can't imagine not hearing sounds. In fact my 2 1/2 week of silence drove me crazy between surgery and hookup. Each to their own...

Sorry it didn't work out.

Did you try auditory processing theraphy to see if you could learn to ignore the unwanted sounds? Just curious. I had that problem when turning the HA up high enough to hear, never did get them programed right to get the background noise down to an exceptable level, I find the CI to be superior in that regard.

I researched theraphy of CAPD when I thought my youngest was having a problem processing sound, she probably is cause she can't leave HA on, kinda like me :lol: , but everything you read says it is only kids with super sensitive hearing that can have it. Somehow I think that kids with hearing problems can have it when you bombard their ears with sound they normally don't hear.

CAPD = central auditory processing disorder, basically normal hearing kids display symptoms of ADD, adhd, autism or others because they can't process the sound , some act out and some withdraw.

Sometimes, it takes years to get used to the implants.

I'm sure you're not the only one.

A lot of people here on Alldeaf don't wear hearing aids for the same reasons that you cited, they prefer silence. Did you wear hearing aids before you had your implant? The reason I ask is that it almost sounds like you haven't been used to background noise etc before.

Glad you posted here - it's important that people see the wide range of experiences with CIs and there are some less positive ones.

It might be one idea to go back to your audie and tell him/her about your feelings and see if it can get remapped to suit those new needs? This is only a suggestion and not to be taken for any sort of pressure for you to continue wearing your CI.

Best wishes.

R2D2 said:
I'm sure you're not the only one.

A lot of people here on Alldeaf don't wear hearing aids for the same reasons that you cited, they prefer silence. Did you wear hearing aids before you had your implant? The reason I ask is that it almost sounds like you haven't been used to background noise etc before.

Glad you posted here - it's important that people see the wide range of experiences with CIs and there are some less positive ones.

It might be one idea to go back to your audie and tell him/her about your feelings and see if it can get remapped to suit those new needs? This is only a suggestion and not to be taken for any sort of pressure for you to continue wearing your CI.

Best wishes.
you beat me to it. I was going to say almost same thing.. :)

VamPyroX said:
Sometimes, it takes years to get used to the implants.

I wore HA's for years and never really got used to the noise. :) I can see how someone who is not used to noise would be overwhelmed. That's why I was inquiring about auditory training. Just can't see how someone who has lived in silence could go to having all the auditory input from a CI and not end up hating it. If I hadn't gotten the suppression programed in when I did I may have gone nuts. :) And I had used hearing aides and had pretty good hearing.

take notes Fragmenter.......you might need them if you get a CI. :)

Interesting, It's not the first time I've ever heard about those who hates to hear noisy sounds, but it is the first time I've heard a CIer stated that. My hearing sister usually tells me that 'You're so lucky that you can't hear this much noises that is going on, because it annoyed the heck out of her. I guess I am lucky. :lol:

But, You did enjoyed it while it lasted. You can always turn your CI off whenever you don't want to listen to the noise. ;)

yeah that what i aware before i decided to get CI. My parents will let me had CI when i was 14 yrs old. But give me 2 years to keep that decision. I'm glad i didn't choose it. Becuz I can't stand the noises or music in my head!

am I the only one who HATES her cochlear implant?

No you are not only one and first. I have been heard about those stories before.

I'm glad that you post here to share your experience with us because I have the feeling that some people don't beleive me and still claim that CI is the best than HA which it's not true...

Hearing people keep on telling me how lucky I am for not hear... :lol:

although i only had my implant activated for 8 months (wow that long already?!?) i still love my implant, although there are some noises i get annoyed of, but i just learn to ingore it, other than that i just take my implant off and i am deaf again.. :whistle:

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that....From what I know its does take alot of time to get use to the noises and sounds but I can truly understand your feeling regarding this...

Back