am I the only one? NO BASHING!!

Starting a museum, Boult? Lol!

Gemtun said:
There are some noises that annoy me such as car signal beeping, paper crackling (gives me shivers!), hearing myself peeing (I may never get used to it!) and dogs barking (man, they hurt my ears) and many more....

But nothing will ever take away my ability to hear my girls talking, crying, laughing or screaming. I hear them fighting in the bathroom right now and I am smiling because my CI allowed me to hear all sounds whether I like it or not...the world is indeed noisy and it is a blessing to be deaf sometimes!!! At least I have a choice - whether to hear or not ;)

Awww I know what you mean - the other day I heard my daughter whisper something to me. Normally I 100% lipread in those situations even with hearing aids so it was really funny to actually hear her say the words.

As for the most annoying sounds it would be the static that I have in the background since activation a week ago. The good news is that it does seem to be slowly improving.

R2D2, I'm gonna assume that the more you comprehend of the spoken word, the worse your lip-reading's gonna be, wouldn't you say?

R2D2 said:
Awww I know what you mean - the other day I heard my daughter whisper something to me. Normally I 100% lipread in those situations even with hearing aids so it was really funny to actually hear her say the words.

As for the most annoying sounds it would be the static that I have in the background since activation a week ago. The good news is that it does seem to be slowly improving.

It has been one week already? Wow! I'm so glad for you to be able to hear your daughter whisper to you! :)

Tousi said:
R2D2, I'm gonna assume that the more you comprehend of the spoken word, the worse your lip-reading's gonna be, wouldn't you say?

with CI's you end up relying less on lipreading (though you don't stop using lipreading completely) which is simply the nature of the hearing process. If you don't use something regularly like sign or lipeading you usually don't stay as proficient. My lipreading skills have gone down a bit since getting my CI activated over a year ago, but I have no regrets. :)

Tousi said:

Maybe, it's hard to imagine though as it has been such a big part of my life. I hope I don't lose my lipreading skills as it would be handy for times when I can't wear a CI such as in the swimming pool.

Tousi,

in my case, it lessen the strain on speechreading though... I speechread easier than before because I hear the sounds at the same time and can discriminate which. even if the shape looks same.

you know the book "What"s that Pig Outdoors?" without listening can somewhat confuse which word was used. you know?

neecy said:
with CI's you end up relying less on lipreading (though you don't stop using lipreading completely) which is simply the nature of the hearing process. If you don't use something regularly like sign or lipeading you usually don't stay as proficient. My lipreading skills have gone down a bit since getting my CI activated over a year ago, but I have no regrets. :)

Yep, same here. My lipreading ability has gone south. I really have been able to focus on hearing even when I don't expect it. No regrets either.

The noises will bother you for a little while, your brain needs to map these noises to memory which is a new process and takes time to train. Thats why they might bother you, the brain doesn't know what to do with them. For example, for us hearies, when you hear a growl we get scared and get ready to run or defend ourselves. Your brain has a place mapped specifically for this and its mapped to a response like run or stand and fight depending on who you are. This was how it was explained to me by a professional when I encountered phantom noises during my progressive hearing degrade.

I understand everybody's perspective but try this: we have things that annoys our sight like the sun shining into our eyes, we have things that annoys our taste like the food we don't like, we have things that annoys our touch like rubbing your fingertips together when it's pruned from being too wet and we have things that annoys our nose like skunks.

Point is, there are annoying sounds, but I know the hearing people wouldn't give up their hearing when they hear you scratch a chalkboard :roll:

Noise was more then annoying with me (when I used to wear hearing aids). Some noise was physically painful. I never had that problem with sight even though some low vision aids can give you eye strain, but somehow it's differant as I feel I actually benifit from it so it isn't too bad. I can shut my eyes afterwards and relax with a braille book.

With the hearing aids, It got to the stage that I just couldn't bear to use them at all. Even for listening to music with. I am glad to be profoundly deaf now so everything is nice and quiet.

am I the only one who HATES her cochlear implant?

I was implanted two years ago, all expenses were paid by my insurance. for a while, I found it sooo amazing and I fell in love with classicial music. it was interesting to see how I had correctly "imagined" what the sounds would sound like.

but fast forward a year later, the novelty wore off and I began to realize that I didn't really enjoy wearing my implant. I never could get used to the background noise. I spend a LOT of time doing nothing at work, and random sounds bothered me so much. sounds like silverware clinking against eachother, the air conditioner humming, and dogs barking. and people talking? I just couldn't get used to it.

it's been several months since I last wore my implant and I don't regret getting an implant at all. my curiousity was satisified and I guess the adage "silence is golden" applies to me. I just can't imagine being hearing.

NO you are not only one.. there are other ADers who had implanted at young age... now they are over 20... they said they hate it... going to have it removed.....
other CIers did enjoy their hearing.... all PROS AND CONS...

I understand everybody's perspective but try this: we have things that annoys our sight like the sun shining into our eyes, we have things that annoys our taste like the food we don't like, we have things that annoys our touch like rubbing your fingertips together when it's pruned from being too wet and we have things that annoys our nose like skunks.

Point is, there are annoying sounds, but I know the hearing people wouldn't give up their hearing when they hear you scratch a chalkboard :roll:[/QUOTE]

I used to lose my temper if anyone scratches on blackboard with a chalk... it is horrible sounds.... i cannot stand...that kinds of sounds gave me goosepimples.... now i am thankful i am now full deaf for 5 yrs now...

am I the only one who HATES her cochlear implant?

I was implanted two years ago, all expenses were paid by my insurance. for a while, I found it sooo amazing and I fell in love with classicial music. it was interesting to see how I had correctly "imagined" what the sounds would sound like.

but fast forward a year later, the novelty wore off and I began to realize that I didn't really enjoy wearing my implant. I never could get used to the background noise. I spend a LOT of time doing nothing at work, and random sounds bothered me so much. sounds like silverware clinking against eachother, the air conditioner humming, and dogs barking. and people talking? I just couldn't get used to it.

it's been several months since I last wore my implant and I don't regret getting an implant at all. my curiousity was satisified and I guess the adage "silence is golden" applies to me. I just can't imagine being hearing.

You are most certainly not the only one. Just don't tell some of the hearing parents about it:giggle: They think they know better tthan you do how to live with your deafness.

It's possibly due to sensory overload. My wife is registered blind and, about 5 years ago, had a new lens inserted with a prescription shape to replace one removed (cateract). She saw more than she could ever remember (which was still less than 99% of people), and found all the new information gave her headaches etc.

On the other side of the coin, I have CAPD which, while I hear fine, my brain just can't process the info. This is like sensory overload in-so-much that my brain can't handle a "normal load", and I often wish I could shut my ears down and have some peace and quiet. However, I'd really hate to never be able to hear music again. It's probably the one reason why I refrain from shoving a large metal poker in both hears to permanently stop the racket!

I've just been implanted with the Neptune after losing my hearing from SSHL and know what you mean. I used to wear hearing aids and found that background noise annoying with them too.
For the CI, I wish we could get some bass! More channels, sigh one day hopefully. When they turned on ClearVoice for me it significantly helped with the background noises (reducing them / sound more natural).

Another re resurrection from past threads.
As for disconnecting my Implant of almost 5 years-no consideration-whatsoever. In the end-one choice. Deafness is real quiet-to say the least-at least to me-so far!!

I've just been implanted with the Neptune after losing my hearing from SSHL and know what you mean. I used to wear hearing aids and found that background noise annoying with them too.
For the CI, I wish we could get some bass! More channels, sigh one day hopefully. When they turned on ClearVoice for me it significantly helped with the background noises (reducing them / sound more natural).

Bass takes time. You were just implanted. Implant users perceive bass via harmonics. Your brain has to work it out. I was very concerned about bass prior to activation. I really do have few complaints now.

AB is constantly working on expanding the technological ability of the internal implant, so it's very likely there will be more channels.

Back