am I the only one? NO BASHING!!

really, so how long before you started noticing the bass? How is music for you now? That's great news, it's hard listening to everything for too long right now as it sounds so static / high toned.

audiology was also saying bass / music will sound better if I get a second implant - I opted for one as I'm not sure if I wanna destroy what's left of those nerve endings for a possibility at natural hearing restoration - even if it is a long wait.

Bass takes time. You were just implanted. Implant users perceive bass via harmonics. Your brain has to work it out. I was very concerned about bass prior to activation. I really do have few complaints now.

AB is constantly working on expanding the technological ability of the internal implant, so it's very likely there will be more channels.

It took me MANY years to get used to mappings. After each mapping session I used to cry and hide in a very quiet room for a few hours while I got used to it. I got used to all the mappings and wearing the CI about 2-3 yrs post implant. Now almost 12 yrs post implant, I only wear my cochlear on a part time basis(10 hours a day at work=5 days a week), for the past year or two. This is purely by choice.

Bass takes time. You were just implanted. Implant users perceive bass via harmonics. Your brain has to work it out. I was very concerned about bass prior to activation. I really do have few complaints now.

AB is constantly working on expanding the technological ability of the internal implant, so it's very likely there will be more channels.
Lower frequencies are located deeper in the cochlea. The high pitch comes first.. So, insertion depth is probably what determines how "low" you can hear..
Normal insertion depth is plenty to cover the frequencies used for speech.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyenMluFaUw"]Here's an interesting animation[/ame] showing how/where frequencies are registered in the cochlea.. (hope you can hear the music, that starts after the cochlea unfolds..)

really, so how long before you started noticing the bass? How is music for you now? That's great news, it's hard listening to everything for too long right now as it sounds so static / high toned.

audiology was also saying bass / music will sound better if I get a second implant - I opted for one as I'm not sure if I wanna destroy what's left of those nerve endings for a possibility at natural hearing restoration - even if it is a long wait.

I have very good music. I'm one of those that isn't limited to what he knew before going deaf. I never had the high pitched/mickey mouse sound, but I was lucky. Music started to sound good about a month activation and continued to develop over a year. The best advice I can give you is to listen to music everyday. Just put it on, possibly direct connect, and go about your day. Gradually, you'll be surprised at how it works itself out and you start hearing new details and familiar details begin to surface.

Lower frequencies are located deeper in the cochlea. The high pitch comes first.. So, insertion depth is probably what determines how "low" you can hear..
Normal insertion depth is plenty to cover the frequencies used for speech.

Here's an interesting animation showing how/where frequencies are registered in the cochlea.. (hope you can hear the music, that starts after the cochlea unfolds..)

Yes... Cochlear implants technically have their limit at middle C due to insertion depth. That's not very low at all. What happens is the brain begins to take the harmonics of the bass notes and use it to fill in so you actually hear/perceive bass much lower than middle C. It isn't as simple as once you go lower than middle C a CI user can no longer hear. It is true for pure tone testing in a booth, but the world isn't made up of pure tones, thankfully. I was very concerned about this prior to activation. The reality is pleasantly surprising.

One thing about AB though, the channel steering capabilities of the internal implant means they can direct current much deeper into the cochlea as well as add more channels. So they aren't limited to the insertion depth of the electrodes.

One thing to keep in mind... the static may actually be auditory information that isn't being mentally processed yet. Listen to it and see if it's something else. Also, I initally had a time limit on how long music wouuld sound good. You best bet is early in the day following the initial waking period. You may notice you are able to listen to one song before it degenerates and ceases to sound good. This window will get wider until you can go hours easily. Another thing to keep in mind is your processor volume.... you may need to turn it up a bit to get better resolution. Use your judgement and listen to songs you know well. If you notice something missing or very dim that should be there, try turning up your processor slightly just enough so that you notice it is easier to understand lyrics or hear certain instruments. Be conservative in your music volume as well. Blasting it only makes it more difficult until you are more advanced.

If you got your worst ear implanted, it may take a while. I had my best ear implanted, so that's why it was relatively quick for me.

I had my dead ear implanted, and been activated for 2 months now. I've just recently started listening to music with the implant alone. Yes, music sounds way weird and different right now, but hey it's going to take time. I'm going to direct connect to the ipod as often as I can so I can listen to music and let the brain figure out everything. Electronic sounding, but that's to be expected for me. I could care less about the bass, I never much cared for extra bass before with the hearing aid on the right ear, so I doubt I'll ever care much for the bass with the implant too.

OK I hope I am able to opine to you & you'll get a chance to read this. I am from the Richmond area & I hear folks from NoVa say the same thing that you do. I believe this is a mapping issue. Please go to VCU audiology dept & get Sean to do your mappings. In telling other folks this same thing they are now in love with sound. Let me know!!!

I had my dead ear implanted, and been activated for 2 months now. I've just recently started listening to music with the implant alone. Yes, music sounds way weird and different right now, but hey it's going to take time. I'm going to direct connect to the ipod as often as I can so I can listen to music and let the brain figure out everything. Electronic sounding, but that's to be expected for me. I could care less about the bass, I never much cared for extra bass before with the hearing aid on the right ear, so I doubt I'll ever care much for the bass with the implant too.

By "Electronic sounding" is this robotic or just like beeps? I have one non-hearing ear and one with an HA. Just curious how it is being able to compare the to or if you can have both active at the same time?

Back