AIM Relay Calls

angryop and tabularasa,

just wanted to let you both know that there is a forum for relay operators
here

I'm so guilty for asking to get a live representative on line when it's not on the option menu :Oops: The reason I asked an operator to try to get me a representative is because none of the option on the menu is what I'm calling for. When the recorder on the other line ask for my phone number, and that is given, the recording repeats back to the menu board. It was very frustrate, it wasn't getting me anywhere to where I want to go. I know it's not the relay operator's fault, it's the company. That's why I ask them politely to try their best to get me a live representative on line, and after many tries, then finally a representative came on the other line. I'm sorry!! :lol:

cheri,

to save time and avoid going in circles with automated menus, i ask the ca to press 1 (or any number) so that i can get *someone* on the line. from there, i tell the person who answers the reason for my call and ask to be connected to the department or individual who can respond to my query. it works much better than having to patiently wade through endless automated menu options.

I want them to stay too! :hyper:

I have so many questions about VRS but I know that this operator cannot help me but am hoping that one day a VRS operator will come online and answer our questions!

cheri,

to save time and avoid going in circles with automated menus, i ask the ca to press 1 (or any number) so that i can get *someone* on the line. from there, i tell the person who answers the reason for my call and ask to be connected to the department or individual who can respond to my query. it works much better than having to patiently wade through endless automated menu options.

Yea that's my plan for the next time when I call their company, now that I know it bugs the relay operator when a deaf caller ask them to get a live rep when it's not on the option menu board. :Ohno: It helps me understand how the relay operator feels, I don't want to tick them off. :giggle:

I find annoying that almost everybody leave "away msg" mode on AIM. Good grief, there should be new a way to not let use AIM as relay until they're "available" mode instead "away msg".

Maybe it's youth make poor decide or forget to turn "away msg" off.

Yea that's my plan for the next time when I call their company, now that I know it bugs the relay operator when a deaf caller ask them to get a live rep when it's not on the option menu board. :Ohno: It helps me understand how the relay operator feels, I don't want to tick them off. :giggle:

:lol:

Is that because when you wander around in the mall and meet stranger when give a bad stare at you? An innocent yourself and smile "eh? hi?"

Very interesting topic. I have never use the AIM or IP relay service. I am still new to the computer and only goes for the easy to communicate like AllDeaf. I still depend on my old TDD to relay to the operator but not the VRS. If in the future, when I get the VRS service or AIM relay service, I will have to learn how to deal with using the "away message" to turn it on and off. Most of us Deafies have a lot to learn about technologies which were very confusing. I am glad that you brought us the attention on what relay opeators try to tell others that it is very ignoring to hear the repeat words like "away message" over and over. Technologies keep changing all the time and we are doing the best to understand what we are suppose to do if we want use this technologies. My husband has a hard time with cellphone which is new to him and he has a lot to learn how to use it just like computer. We may be over the hill but we are determine to learn this new techologies. I hope I am not repeating myself too much. :roll:

angryop and tabularasa,

just wanted to let you both know that there is a forum for relay operators
here

Yeah I stumbled across that one about a month ago before I joined alldeaf. No one seems to post on it very often. I suppose I could tell my fellow operators about it... but I already know who they are and talk to them about it, so it wouldn't be very fulfilling. I was mostly trying to find a way to whine about scammers. But thank you!

Yeah I stumbled across that one about a month ago before I joined alldeaf. No one seems to post on it very often. I suppose I could tell my fellow operators about it... but I already know who they are and talk to them about it, so it wouldn't be very fulfilling. I was mostly trying to find a way to whine about scammers. But thank you!

you're welcome. :)

It's not so much that you're asking, it's that we CAN'T do it. We're not allowed to. Plus, I've noticed a lot of Deaf/HH callers think we can just magically get a live rep. We can't. We don't have all the automated systems memorized and zero doesn't always work.

To be perfectly honest, it's frustrating as a hearing person when we're asked to get a representative on the line, because we do have to wade through those menus. We don't ever have the option of just knowing what we want and magically getting it. That's why it's frustrating.

But again, different relay services, different deals. I know at least one relay company that allows it and sometimes just asks if you want a rep. I also know mine, and others like it, that try to leave the call in the Deaf/HH hands, (no pun intended) as much as possible. I mean, if we hear an option for a representative, THEN we can pick it... if you've asked.

It's not so much that you're asking, it's that we CAN'T do it. We're not allowed to. Plus, I've noticed a lot of Deaf/HH callers think we can just magically get a live rep. We can't. We don't have all the automated systems memorized and zero doesn't always work.

To be perfectly honest, it's frustrating as a hearing person when we're asked to get a representative on the line, because we do have to wade through those menus. We don't ever have the option of just knowing what we want and magically getting it. That's why it's frustrating.

But again, different relay services, different deals. I know at least one relay company that allows it and sometimes just asks if you want a rep. I also know mine, and others like it, that try to leave the call in the Deaf/HH hands, (no pun intended) as much as possible. I mean, if we hear an option for a representative, THEN we can pick it... if you've asked.

i have a question about how you go about typing automated messages.

do you need to keep calling back the original number in order to type the entire message?

i have a question about how you go about typing automated messages.

do you need to keep calling back the original number in order to type the entire message?

It depends, automated systems are usually very fast. Sometimes they're too fast or I just can't understand a word or two, so if it's towards the beginning you may as well redial to try and get everything. If it's progressed along we just have to skip little words or hope there's a repeating option in the menu.

It depends, automated systems are usually very fast. Sometimes they're too fast or I just can't understand a word or two, so if it's towards the beginning you may as well redial to try and get everything. If it's progressed along we just have to skip little words or hope there's a repeating option in the menu.

do you sometimes paraphrase automated messages so that they are easier to type?

hope you don't mind all of my questions.

i'm really fascinated by this discussion. :)

do you sometimes paraphrase automated messages so that they are easier to type?

hope you don't mind all of my questions.

i'm really fascinated by this discussion. :)

Only if we have to, if it's too fast. Otherwise, we have to do our best to type every single word.

And no, I LOVE your questions. I've been wanting there to be a legal way to discuss relay between operators and the Deaf/HH community for as long as I've been one. It could be so much easier!

Only if we have to, if it's too fast. Otherwise, we have to do our best to type every single word.

And no, I LOVE your questions. I've been wanting there to be a legal way to discuss relay between operators and the Deaf/HH community for as long as I've been one. It could be so much easier!

this is *so* awesome having the chance to talk to a real operator and ask questions. i've always wanted to ask ca's these questions, but obviously can't because of business protocol. i reallly hope you'll stick around ad for awhile because i'm learning so much from you! :D

this is *so* awesome having the chance to talk to a real operator and ask questions. i've always wanted to ask ca's these questions, but obviously can't because of business protocol. i reallly hope you'll stick around ad for awhile because i'm learning so much from you! :D

Ohhhhh trust me. As long as the AllDeaf community will have us I think we're all happy to talk about these things. We're the exact same way; we've always wanted to talk about it but can't due to protocol!!

Back