Aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

Okay, Eve and Reba. It could be true what you have said in your posts.

Let us all pray and thoughts about Katrina victims and their families.

I donated 20 EUR ($24.64) for Katrina victims last week via my Bank. Yes, I know 20 EUR is not much but it's useful to support them. I got account number for donation for Katrina's victims thru TV news.

Liebling:-))) said:
I donated 20 EUR ($24.64) for Katrina victims last week via my Bank. Yes, I know 20 EUR is not much but it's useful to support them. I got account number for donation for Katrina's victims thru TV news.

Sweetie, Every penny counts. You gave them what you could and that's enough. ;)

Like Cheri said, every bit counts, and even those of us who do not have the monetary means to contribute, can still donate in other ways....time, food, clothing, volunteer hours, etc.

New Orleans Police Keep Public Trust, Private Pain
Stress, Homelessness Afflict Many on Force

By Ariana Eunjung Cha
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, September 12, 2005; Page A01
During the worst of it, when people were drowning in their homes and dying because of a lack of basic necessities, two officers put guns to their heads and killed themselves. Two hundred quit. An estimated 70 percent of the force is now homeless.

Until Thursday, when the first batch of officers was allowed to take a five-day vacation, the force had been working nonstop for 11 days. They watched people urinate on themselves because no bathrooms were available, they saw babies die of starvation, and they pulled dead bodies from the Superdome and convention center.

One evening last week, about 17 officers of the 6th District gathered around some candles, a makeshift campfire of sorts, in one of their first breaks since the ordeal began.
The conversation was light at first with everyone laughing and joking, especially about their rescues.

Since then, one has returned to the force and two others have asked to come back. Many around the candles called them "cowards," and said they would never be accepted back.

"If you leave the fight and then come back afterwards, you may as well not have come back. At this point, you are no longer a policeman," said Officer Dumas Carter, 30.

For David Holtzclaw, 42, a tough-talking, macho police officer who has been on the force for nearly 25 years and has seen many dead bodies, it's about a baby. He was helping at the convention center one night when a man came up to him carrying his baby in a filthy blanket.

"The baby's lips were blue," he remembered. He hadn't eaten in days, and the mother was unable to breast-feed because she was ill.

Holtzclaw didn't know what to do. There was no hospital, no paramedics to call. He rushed the father and baby into his car, and began speeding west, away from the water. He stopped in St. Charles Parish and called an emergency medical service crew, which picked up the child. He found out later that the baby did not survive.

"I never thought in my wildest fears that this could happen -- that a baby could starve like that in America. I have to think God has a reason," he said.

A few days later, after the National Guard arrived, Holtzclaw saw a huge pallet of baby formula at the police headquarters and he was in agony all over again.

Ideas abound for rebuilding New Orleans?

NEW ORLEANS — The lesson to be learned from Katrina is that there's only one direction that matters for rebuilding New Orleans — up.
Far beyond the French Quarter and Garden District beloved by tourists, New Orleans' architecturally significant neighborhoods are intact, with little structural damage.

But will it be fixed, so that the next huge hurricane doesn't blow away the billions of dollars worth of work?

Those who know about such things — engineers, urban planners, politicians, scientists and economists — say they aren't really sure.

"So much has to happen, so many things have to come together," sighed Craig Colten, a Louisiana State University geography professor and author of An Unnatural Metropolis: Wresting New Orleans from Nature.

"Rebuilding here means so much more than walls and roofs and levees," Colten said.

Most of the neighborhoods from that line to the river are dry now, though the streets are blocked with branches, trees, telephone poles, power and cable lines, and there is no electricity. The water was turned on, but the pressure is too low for firefighters to protect the wooden tinderbox that is old New Orleans. Several properties already have burned, and there is great fire danger because gas lines are on to prevent water from coming in and ruining the system.

Sources: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-09-11-neworleansrebuildingideas_x.htm

If New Orleans will be rebuilt, I think New Orleans should be rebuilt above the sea level that could save their homes from flood waters. It could save millions of dollars in damage. Just an idea of course. ;)

President Bush says he takes responsibility for the federal government's failures in

President Bush says he takes responsibility for the federal government's failures in responding to Hurricane Katrina

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/13/katrina.impact/index.html

I heard, there is over 500,000 homeless. A friend of mine at work, she went to church last Sunday. A lady got a cell phone from the security down in the New Orelens. Her son and brother died. She was freaking out and collapsed in the church. The people comforted her. Oh dear.. She is very angry with Federal because they did not tell those residences in New Oreleans to leave that town when the catagery 5 was on the way.

Sabrina..

I'm sorry about your friend who passed away their love ones...

Geez... Break my heart every minutes...

President Bush says he takes responsibility for the federal government's failures in responding to Hurricane Katrina.
Takes a big man to express his own shortcomings and own up to his mistakes. Way to go, Bush!

She is very angry with Federal because they did not tell those residences in New Oreleans to leave that town when the catagery 5 was on the way.
They were warned to leave in plenty of time.

It doesn't matter if you are Deaf or not. You well knew in advance by seeing on the TV that a hurricane came through Florida, heading towards you. Blaming it on your deafness saying you couldn't hear the warning, I think that is like abandoning your own responsibilities and letting the government spoonfeed you. You, alone, are responsible for your own safety whether if the government is there or not. You, alone, are responsible to pay attention to the events unravelling around you and taking actions to avoid dangerous situations.

Reba said:
What happened after? Did they let them go? They were stopping the hearing guys too, right? I wish the rest of the story was included.
i believe they stop the hearing guys too.. i believe every person who try to pass that road.

i believe they're searching for people who stole all the guns in gun shop. and they have fears that they'll bring serious weapons out of NO.. i've heard they stole guns from military.. scary!

Sabrina said:
President Bush says he takes responsibility for the federal government's failures in responding to Hurricane Katrina

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/13/katrina.impact/index.html

I heard, there is over 500,000 homeless. A friend of mine at work, she went to church last Sunday. A lady got a cell phone from the security down in the New Orelens. Her son and brother died. She was freaking out and collapsed in the church. The people comforted her. Oh dear.. She is very angry with Federal because they did not tell those residences in New Oreleans to leave that town when the catagery 5 was on the way.

Yes, I saw on the TV news that Bush admitted his mistake and accept the responsible for neglect to Hurricane Katrina. It upset him and realized that the some of victims have no cars and no money to escape out of New Ocean. How could they? :( Bush learn his mistake and sure will improve his mistake for next hurricance. I :applause: Bush for that.

mld4ds
Execption for Deaf cititzens...

I don't like anyone use their "deafness" as feeble excuse to blame anyone... There're news on TV, newspapers, information at everywhere that you can READ.

[img=http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/8370/bushvacation7dl.th.jpg]

Father and Son Bushs' vacation
Now that is just plain TACKY! This is not the time to be spreading malicious crap like this.

I saw on the news that most of the looters belonged to heavily armed organized gangs that came from other states to rob the stores, museums, and banks. They drove SUVs, and towed boats to New Orleans. They were NOT poor residents seeking food and water.

How do you feel/think about this recent news on
"Grandmother held on looting charge freed" ?

GRETNA, La. - A 73-year-old diabetic grandmother and church elder who ended up in prison for more than two weeks after authorities accused her of looting was released from jail Friday evening.

Merlene Maten said the first thing she wanted to do was visit her 80-year-old husband.

“I thank God this ordeal is over,” she said after being released from the parish jail. “I did nothing wrong.”

Police arrested Maten the day after the hurricane on charges she took $63.50 in goods from a looted deli. Though never before in trouble with the law, her bail was set at a stiff $50,000.

Family and eyewitnesses insist she only had gone to her car to get some sausage to eat when officers cuffed her in frustration, unable to catch younger looters at a nearby store.

Despite intervention from the nation’s largest senior lobby, volunteer lawyers from the Federal Emergency Management Agency and even a private attorney, the family fought a futile battle for 16 days to get her freed.

Then, hours after her plight was featured in an Associated Press story, a local judge on Thursday ordered Maten freed on her own recognizance, setting up a sweet reunion with her family.

“I’m just gonna hug her and say ‘Mom, I’m so sorry this had to happen,”’ Maten’s tearful daughter, Elois Short, told AP shortly after getting the news.

Still faces looting charge
Maten must still face the looting charge at a court hearing in October. But the family, armed with several witnesses, intends to prove she was wrongly arrested outside the hotel.

“There were people looting, but she wasn’t one of them. Instead of chasing after people who were running, they (police) grabbed the old lady who was walking,” said Short, who works in traffic enforcement for neighboring New Orleans police.

Defense attorney Daniel Becnel, family members and witnesses said police snared Maten in the parking lot of a hotel after floodwaters swamped her New Orleans home. She had paid for her room with a credit card and followed authorities’ instructions to pack extra food, they said.

She was retrieving a piece of sausage from the cooler in her car and planned to grill it so she and her husband, Alfred, could eat, according to her defenders. The parking lot was almost a block from the looted store, they said.

“That woman was never, never in that store,” said Naisha Williams, 23, a New Orleans bank security guard who said she witnessed the episode and is distantly related to Maten. “If they want to take it to court, I’m willing to get on the stand and tell them the police is wrong. She is totally innocent.”

Police Capt. Steve Carraway said Wednesday that Maten was arrested in the checkout area of a small store next to police headquarters.

The arrest report is short and assigns the value of goods Maten is alleged to have taken at $63.50. The items are not identified.

‘Observed leaving the scene’
“When officers arrived, the arrestee was observed leaving the scene with items from the store. The store window doors were observed smashed out, where entry to the store was made,” police reported.

Maten’s husband was left at the hotel, until family members picked him up. He was too upset to be interviewed, the family said.

Christine Bishop, the owner of the Check In Check Out deli, said that she was angry that looters had damaged her store, but that she would not want anyone charged with a crime if the person had simply tried to get food to survive. “Especially not a 70-year-old woman,” Bishop said.

Short, Maten’s daughter, did not witness the incident. She said her mother has led a law-abiding life. She is a deaconess at the Resurrection Mission Baptist Church and won an award for her decades of service at a hospital, Short said.

“Why would someone loot when they had a car with a refrigerator and had paid with a credit card at the hotel?” asked Becnel, Maten’s lawyer. “The circumstances defy the theory of looting.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9356608

Unfortunately, some of the Katrina evacuees are not so innocent:

Most airlifted evacuees have criminal records
Background checks spark debate over necessity of scrutiny

BY GLENN SMITH
Of The Post and Courier Staff

More than half of the Hurricane Katrina evacuees airlifted into South Carolina have criminal backgrounds, with convictions ranging from petty theft to rape, authorities said.
State Law Enforcement Division agents screened 547 evacuees and discovered that 301 had criminal records. Most had committed only minor offenses and few of their crimes were recent, but the group also included people convicted of aggravated assault and rape, said SLED Inspector Richard Hunton...

"Most of it was old and minor offenses, larceny and drug charges from the '70s and '80s," he said. "What we don't know about are (evacuees) who have come into the state on their own or had some church or civic group bring them in."

...States and communities across the nation are screening Katrina evacuees for criminal records as the displaced are landing on doorsteps in need of help. Among the flood of evacuees may be hundreds of parolees, wanted individuals and criminal defendants. Some 4,500 registered sex offenders were living in 14 Louisiana parishes slammed by Katrina...

"The assumption that when you go out to rescue a bunch of poor, black people, that they are going to be criminals, is racist," said Kevin Gray, president of the South Carolina chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union. "The only plan they ever seem to have for poor people is a jail plan."

SLED estimates that black people accounted for 80 percent of the evacuees who were screened. But Stewart said that SLED was following a system that had been requested by the military and that no one was jailed. Stewart said it was an unprecedented situation; SLED had never been called upon to do criminal background checks on evacuees from natural disasters.

"We had no part in selecting who was on those airplanes," he said. "Our only intent was the safety of the survivors and the citizens of this state."

SLED ran the background checks using whatever identification or information the evacuees could provide. Some other states fingerprinted those without identification so criminal record checks could be run and photo IDs issued.

Only one of the 350 evacuees arriving in West Virginia had a valid identification card. As state police sought to verify identities, they learned that nearly half of the evacuees had a criminal record, including 77 people who had been convicted of at least one violent offense, said state police Lt. Col. Stephen Tucker. Three people were identified as registered sex offenders and another was found to be an illegal alien, he said.

Massachusetts authorities found a man wanted on a rape charge among the 200 Katrina evacuees who landed at a military base on Cape Cod. He is now in custody. Two others left the state while authorities were reviewing whether they needed to register as sex offenders, said Katie Ford, a spokeswoman for the Massachusetts public safety office...

The FBI has opened up its criminal history database to allow free background screenings on any Katrina volunteer, relief worker or evacuee who would have access to children. That means a parent could check an evacuee's criminal history before deciding whether to offer a room. An evacuee with children could do the same before accepting someone's offer of a place to stay.

The checks must be done through SLED, sheriff's offices or police departments, Stewart said. One check SLED conducted Thursday found that an evacuee had past convictions for assaulting a police officer and criminal domestic violence, he said.

"We want to uphold everyone's constitutional rights," Stewart said. "But if someone is coming into a home with a family, they would probably want to know if that person is on the sex offender registry or is a violent criminal."

"People are in need, regardless of their history," he said. "As long as they are cooperative and appreciative of our services, we do not discriminate as to who receives our assistance."

547...Number of Hurricane Katrina evacuees airlifted into South Carolina from the Gulf Coast.

301...Number of those evacuees with criminal records, including convictions for rape, aggravated assault, drug offenses, burglary, petty thefts and traffic violations.

2,977...Number of families displaced by Katrina who have sought assistance from the American Red Cross in South Carolina.

1,300...Estimated number of Katrina evacuees who have received assistance from the Red Cross's Lowcountry chapter.

Sources: State Law Enforcement Division and the Carolina Lowcountry Chapter of the American Red Cross
https://www.charleston.net/stories/default_pf.aspx?newsID=41545

Back