Aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

I saw on TV that Julia Roberts had some conversations with victims in New Orleans saying how much they've been through and what they feel about the country's treatin them and all so it seems alot of them has lost respect and faith in the government and even as for Bush, who has barely even been prepared to give out every food and water to the victims in new orleans after the hurricane has slammed the city there so it looks like bush doesnt seem to care too much about the problems there even though it would cost millions, if billions of dollars to repair whole city...of course takes like 3 or 4 months for New Orleans to be all back to normal *shook my head*

bush is most definetly the biggest embrassassment for running our country like that.
huh, funny, all those “victims” and not one claiming responsibility for their own lack of preparation. It just is so much easier to blame one individual that owning up to your own mistakes.

Furthermore, this global warming can’t be to solely to blame for a hurricane….Hurricanes have been happening for as long as there has been history. Bush wasn’t even around then, so I guess you are going to blame him prior to his existence?

And oh, puleeez, Julia Roberts and Sean Penn? They are your personal authorities? The only advice I would take from those two would be regarding their acting skills.

The fault lies with mother nature.

Eve, be careful what you say about them. It will come back to you someday.

Eve said:
which "them" would you be referring to?

Ur ways of putting people down when they try to ummm speak up which it happens often. I like you but not enjoy debate here with you.

Sorry you don't care for my style, but this is who I am. Very opinionated, yes. Very direct, yes. Although, I didn't feel that my previous statement was putting anyone down. Generally, I do attempt to refrain from put downs unless I feel they are in order and called for by other's statements. I am not always successful in my attempts.

Ok I'm going to rant after remaining silent throught this whole ordeal on AD.

Politics or finger pointing has no place in midst of a personal human tragedy.

I've not seen an ounce of compassion on this thread but nitpicking, blaming, critcizing and making harsh judgment.

Get it...we re all humans....Bush, Brown, FEMA, refugees and everyone else. Its a time to unite in name of compassion, love and peace.

Drag through this muddle and seek out what your heart and soul can gain from this catastrophe...I repeat, with HEART, not MIND.

So shut up and reach out with compassion.

In addition, don't forget Mississppi people. They suffered as much as Louisiana people. I'm sick of all focus on New Orleans where New Orleans is just a part of the entire tragedy.

PH2005090901197.jpg
Michael Brown speaks in an Orlando, Fla. file photo from March 16, 2005. Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown is being removed from his role managing Hurricane Katrina relief efforts. (AP Photo/Brian Cleary, File) (Brian Cleary - AP)

FEMA Chief Relieved of Katrina Duties

By LARA JAKES JORDAN
The Associated Press
Friday, September 9, 2005; 2:24 PM

WASHINGTON -- Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown is being relieved of his command of the Bush administration's Hurricane Katrina onsite relief efforts, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff announced Friday.

He will be replaced by Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad W. Allen, who was overseeing New Orleans relief and rescue efforts, Chertoff said.

Earlier, Brown confirmed the switch. Asked if he was being made a scapegoat for a federal relief effort that has drawn widespread and sharp criticism, Brown told The Associated Press after a long pause: "By the press, yes. By the president, No."

"Michael Brown has done everything he possibly could to coordinate the federal response to this unprecedented challenge," Chertoff told reporters in Baton Rouge, La. Chertoff sidestepped a question on whether the move was the first step toward Brown's leaving FEMA.

But a source close to Brown, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the FEMA director had been considering leaving after the hurricane season ended in November and that Friday's action virtually assures his departure.

Brown has been under fire because of the administration's slow response to the magnitude of the hurricane. On Thursday, questions were raised about whether he padded his resume to exaggerate his previous emergency management background.

Less than an hour before Brown's removal came to light, White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Brown had not resigned and the president had not asked for his resignation.

Chertoff suggested the shift came as the Gulf Coast efforts were entering "a new phase of the recovery operation." He said Brown would return to Washington to oversee the government's response to other potential disasters.

"I appreciate his work, as does everybody here," Chertoff said.

"I'm anxious to get back to D.C. to correct all the inaccuracies and lies that are being said," Brown said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

Asked if the move was a demotion, Brown said: "No. No. I'm still the director of FEMA."

He said Chertoff made the decision to move him out of Louisiana. It was not his own decision, Brown said.

"I'm going to go home and walk my dog and hug my wife and, maybe get a good Mexican meal and a stiff margarita and a full night's sleep. And then I'm going to go right back to FEMA and continue to do all I can to help these victims," Brown said. "This story's not about me. This story's about the worst disaster of the history of our country that stretched every government to its limit and now we have to help these victims."

Pain sees no colours

Alrighty, like Meg, I wasn't going to post in this thread at all, apparently I have no willpower.

As of late, a lot of people have been pointing fingers about what's causing the fallouts in NOLA and surrounding locations from Katrina's after-effects. Some of the fingerpointing that people do make me cringe because it borderlines at being racial. What they don't realise that pain sees no colours. Pain does not differentiate between one race class to another. Those who suffered from Katrina and her cruel lash can be supported by monetary value.

Granted, there are others that cannot afford monetary value but do have others to offer. Good for you!! Offer what you can offer because there are people that do need them. The very last thing we need are couch potatoes sitting on their butts whining, pointing fingers about what should have been done in NOLA.

Think of this.."pain sees no colours".
ribbonblk9ve.gif
You could be next. *hugs*

The only positive I see from the "whining" is that it will make us think forward and how we can prevent similar issues from arising in the future. Hind sight is always 20/20 and I am sure we can all learn from what has transpired.

Eve said:
The only positive I see from the "whining" is that it will make us think forward and how we can prevent similar issues from arising in the future. Hind sight is always 20/20 and I am sure we can all learn from what has transpired.

This is true. The important thing is to find ways in which we can make our system better. There is plenty of blame here, and it really belongs on just about everybody who is in a decision-making/policy making capacity. But, enough of the mudslinging. I believe it was you, Eve, that said most of us got ourselves dirty here. None of us is above the other person, and this includes me.

I really am done fussing about this. It's time we turn our attention to those who are suffering and died. We have yet to see exactly how many lost their lives, but when we do, it's going to be horrific. We all need to stop, think, and be thankful what we have, and to those we have around us.

Hug a loved one, and be thankful! Because, There by the Grace of God, go I (or you). It could be any one of us in a desperate situation next.

Liebling:-))) said:
... it's an exactly what African-Americans feel about white Americans. They felt that white Victims come first before African-Americans... I don't want to make any further posts here what I know from TV...
If people on TV are saying that white victims come first, they are absolutely wrong. I have been in a disaster situation in the deep South, and have seen black and white people get and GIVE equal treatment. The "haves" help the "have nots". I have personal experience with this; it is NOT something I just saw on TV.

I've heard what happened, while I was on the roads watching the news and how badly the victims have lost their homes even their love ones.

Angel came up with an idea of using our tips that customers would leave in our tip jars for good service and food, that she would want all her tips for 5 days show in Reno to go to the Katrina's victims. I also one of the person willing to give up my tips too for them, My dad agrees to it and we have made over 3,000.00 in tips for 5 days in a row and my dad is going to equal that amount of tips that the customers have put in the jars for us. We are sending the 6,000.00 to American Red Cross Hurricane Relief, because Angel and I believe they need it more than we do. It breaks my heart to see those victims are going through each day.

I do feel that we all sure use that kindness in us to help others in time of need. ;)

Cheri said:
... We are sending the 6,000.00 to American Red Cross Hurricane Relief, because Angel and I believe they need it more than we do. It breaks my heart to see those victims are going through each day.

I do feel that we all sure use that kindness in us to help others in time of need. ;)
:thumb:

Reba said:
If people on TV are saying that white victims come first, they are absolutely wrong. I have been in a disaster situation in the deep South, and have seen black and white people get and GIVE equal treatment. The "haves" help the "have nots". I have personal experience with this; it is NOT something I just saw on TV.

How could TV say lies because it´s an original? Because it´s THEM who say themselves... All what we do is LISTEN their venting/ranting.

Yes, I withnessed that black victims are helpful. Of course as white victims as well.

I would not deny Katrina´s victims´s venting/ranting/disgust etc but RESPECT them. It´s THEM who have an experience...

How could we ignore Katrina victims´s venting/ranting and also disgust, too how they think of their government´s rule over Tax cuts, greenhouse budget cut, etc. etc. etc. to support Iraq war? All what we do IS share our anger feeling/comfort with Katrina victims. We already made our donation/comfort for them. I don´t blame Katrina´s victims and understand their feeling. Look at my avator: RESPECT Katrina´s victims how they venting/ranting their feeling.

One thing I dont like what the people defend federal government and give the blame on local governors. I tried to convince them in my previous posts that Federal Government is also PART responsible, too BECAUSE New Orlean is belong to United States of America.

Cheri, :thumb:

Angel came up with an idea of using our tips that customers would leave in our tip jars for good service and food, that she would want all her tips for 5 days show in Reno to go to the Katrina's victims. I also one of the person willing to give up my tips too for them, My dad agrees to it and we have made over 3,000.00 in tips for 5 days in a row and my dad is going to equal that amount of tips that the customers have put in the jars for us. We are sending the 6,000.00 to American Red Cross Hurricane Relief, because Angel and I believe they need it more than we do. It breaks my heart to see those victims are going through each day.

I do feel that we all sure use that kindness in us to help others in time of need.
That is very generous of you. Thank you for your thoughtfulness, I am sure it will be very much appreciated by the Katrina’s victims.

I would not deny Katrina´s victims´s venting/ranting/disgust etc but RESPECT them. It´s THEM who have an experience...
There is a difference between allowing others to vent and supporting and PROJECTING lies of racism yourself.

One thing I dont like what the people defend federal government and give the blame on local governors. I tried to convince them in my previous posts that Federal Government is also PART responsible, too BECAUSE New Orlean is belong to United States of America.
NO ONE is innocent. We ALL fucked up. Time to learn from our mistakes and work to correct them rather than continue with the fruitless finger-pointing.

Liebling:-))) said:
...I would not deny Katrina´s victims´s venting/ranting/disgust etc but RESPECT them. It´s THEM who have an experience...
I am not denying the upset individuals who are experiencing frustration and fear. However, that doesn't mean you should believe them when they say, "this is just like slavery." Of course their situation is NOT like slavery. Of course white victims DON'T come before black victims. That person was just very emotional and lashing out.

I don't need to respect so-called "leaders" who get on TV and make racist accusations. They are just trying to stir people up and make political points with their constituency.

Jesse Jackson
jessejackson1988.jpg

Al Sharpton
Reverend%20Al%20Sharpton.JPG

Kayne West
8555.jpg

They should be ashamed of themselves. Nothing but ATTENTION seeking OPPORTUNISTS :madfawk:

let us all pray to their families, their loved ones who lost their loved ones.. the total death toll rose to 400 which includes mississippi and fla. while FLA is only 7 people. mississippi 117 people.. and u figure the louisana..

those families of the loved ones who died.. are in my prayers.

Back