A Motorcycle Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

do they have Ducati 659/ 696 in USA? the idea is if i have one here, get used to it, then get a similar bike (buy or rent in US then I'd be riding a bike im familar with)

I really want to try that. I love that frame body design.

Co-worker of mine has a '96 Monster like the one above. Small frame makes it a good starter bike, but, it has way too much horsepower for a beginner. He got it up to 140MPH just merging on the highway.

Great bikes to ride, and great to work on if you love spending weeks fixing it....they don't have spring actuated valves, but mechanical ones, so there is no 'valve float' issues...which means you can rev it all the way up to 14K RPM.

They used to have a graduated license (engine size) here, but that has gone away. Anyone of legal age can get a learners permit by just walking in and signing up. No classes, no test, just sign and drive. When the Harley craze was on a few years back you could really tell the new riders. I would not think a big heavy bike is the place to start, but many did and still do. To get your endorsement, you do need to pass a written and driving test, but you can also just keep renewing your learners permit. I know riders who either do not have an endorsement or have had a permit forever.

Having ridden since the 70's I have had many occasions where an auto just does not see you. They look right at you and somehow miss you. No clue on this one. On the same token I have seen riders on days where it is freezing out (icy). Everyone has to make their own call on what they feel is safe I guess. After so many miles over the years, I have seen so many ways to go down that you never see coming, it would seem that they would do everything they could to teach safe riding in conjunction with the endorsement. On the riders part, you just can't fix stupid and there is plenty of that.

Co-worker of mine has a '96 Monster like the one above. Small frame makes it a good starter bike, but, it has way too much horsepower for a beginner. He got it up to 140MPH just merging on the highway.

Great bikes to ride, and great to work on if you love spending weeks fixing it....they don't have spring actuated valves, but mechanical ones, so there is no 'valve float' issues...which means you can rev it all the way up to 14K RPM.

NICE, OH those desomotrics valves

I don't remember if this pic was seen before, but I would like one:

Attachments

• 1506993_586355198106140_1062031944_n.jpg
    1506993_586355198106140_1062031944_n.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 10
I drove to the mountains of NC this morning with a neighbor. Bought a 2008, GL1800 Gold Wing Champion trike with matching tow behind trailer. Mileage is just under 20,000. Rode it back and arrived at 7 p.m. IT WAS COLD! High was 35. With the wind chill at 70 mph, maybe 20?

It is a navigation/comfort model. Engine heat vents along with heated seat and grips. Black with lots of chrome. Lizard lights, accent lights, rear wing led bar that flashes when brakes are applied. Modulating headlights, driving lights. Real cruise control. Luggage bag that attaches to the rack, highway pegs, cup holders, etc. :dance2:

Pictures to follow tomorrow when it is daylight.

I drove to the mountains of NC this morning with a neighbor. Bought a 2008, GL1800 Gold Wing Champion trike with matching tow behind trailer. Mileage is just under 20,000. Rode it back and arrived at 7 p.m. IT WAS COLD! High was 35. With the wind chill at 70 mph, maybe 20?

It is a navigation/comfort model. Engine heat vents along with heated seat and grips. Black with lots of chrome. Lizard lights, accent lights, rear wing led bar that flashes when brakes are applied. Modulating headlights, driving lights. Real cruise control. Luggage bag that attaches to the rack, highway pegs, cup holders, etc. :dance2:

Wow! I am sure the ride's gonna be much more comfortable now for Reba. Y'all oughtta take turns driving!

If you went to the mtns of NC you went right by me ... why didn't you stop by and drop the bike off on your way back?? :laugh2:

Rode it back and arrived at 7 p.m. IT WAS COLD! High was 35. With the wind chill at 70 mph, maybe 20?

I am envious....you got to ride....right now it is 3°F, 5 inches of snow & ice on the roads... hey, wait, if you got a trike, you can ride it in the snow!!!

This morning's pictures:

Attachments

• DSCN0747.jpg
    DSCN0747.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0748.jpg
    DSCN0748.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN0749.jpg
    DSCN0749.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0750.jpg
    DSCN0750.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0751.jpg
    DSCN0751.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0752.jpg
    DSCN0752.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0754.jpg
    DSCN0754.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN0753a.jpg
    DSCN0753a.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
This morning's pictures:

Boy, that's a dandy! Just in case you didn't know, the Gold Wing bikes have, for as long as I can remember, an on board air compressor. Something that might come in handy if you are stranded and need air in tires...yours or someone else's.

TCS, who did the conversion if you know....mine was done by California Sidecar and Trike and they also make the Escapade trailer. Your trailer looks like one of the Escapade models.....

I just got back from my first ride with TCS on the new trike. Whee! It was very comfy (especially the heated seat). We didn't stay out too long because it was cold, dark, and starting to spit rain a bit. We stayed in the neighborhood because I didn't want to get caught in a rain storm.

TCS was out and about by himself on the trike this morning-afternoon. He can tell AD about that. :)

I have to practice getting on and off the back seat. I guess there is a different technique than from a regular bike. :giggle:

TCS, who did the conversion if you know....mine was done by California Sidecar and Trike and they also make the Escapade trailer. Your trailer looks like one of the Escapade models.....

Champion did the conversion. It was not an older Gold Wing mated to a new trike kit. It was originally sold new already finished. The original owner said he wanted one with all the options. The only thing left off was a CB radio.

Boy, that's a dandy! Just in case you didn't know, the Gold Wing bikes have, for as long as I can remember, an on board air compressor. Something that might come in handy if you are stranded and need air in tires...yours or someone else's.

yup! I thought that was a really cool option to have.

Taken tonight. I didn't want to get off it.

Attachments

• DSCN0755.jpg
    DSCN0755.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0756.jpg
    DSCN0756.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0757.jpg
    DSCN0757.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 12
Back