A Cure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking about my daughter's situation before and after the CI.

okay, i wasn't talking about your daughter. nor does this discussion revolves around her. The thread is about the cure.. which your daughter obviously doesn't have...

I have this theory that it is much easier than all makes it out to be.

And it's coming to me now.. I'm finding out as we speak.. that I am not the only one.. Hmmm..:hmm:

okay, i wasn't talking about your daughter. nor does this discussion revolves around her. The thread is about the cure.. which your daughter obviously doesn't have...

I have this theory that it is much easier than all makes it out to be.

And it's coming to me now.. I'm finding out as we speak.. that I am not the only one.. Hmmm..:hmm:

Actually, we were talking about CI's vs hearing aids vs natural hearing.

Tone deaf would imply that you can't follow a tune. So you can't sing on key or tell if someone else isn't.

Oh, and plenty of hearing people are tone deaf!

I'm one such person! I couldn't sing if my life depended on it! :laugh2:

Tone deaf would imply that you can't follow a tune. So you can't sing on key or tell if someone else isn't.

Oh, and plenty of hearing people are tone deaf!

they say most hearing people are not tone deaf but lack musical training. tone deafness is rare.

HA vs CI vs natural hearing. You talked about "if HA's are that bad, CI's must be awful". I was saying that I disagree and that the input from CI's are better than HA's.

lol.. first: I was saying that there is a cure for it... that doesnt require mechanisms..

second: Ci as compared to HEARING... not aids. must be horrendous.

Hence the reason I say I prefer REAL HEARING. Nothing to do with your kid. It is adhering to the thread topic.

lol.. first: I was saying that there is a cure for it... that doesnt require mechanisms..

second: Ci as compared to HEARING... not aids. must be horrendous.

Hence the reason I say I prefer REAL HEARING. Nothing to do with your kid. It is adhering to the thread topic.

What cure is that?

HA vs CI vs natural hearing. You talked about "if HA's are that bad, CI's must be awful". I was saying that I disagree and that the input from CI's are better than HA's.

Since you've had neither, how would you know? Let's ask some others on this forum who have had both. I'd be interested in knowing myself.

Since you've had neither, how would you know? Let's ask some others on this forum who have had both. I'd be interested in knowing myself.

I have talked to MANY people who have both. As well as people who were hearing and then got CI's. Many of them say that after a while the CI is as good as their hearing was. (And that is because the key is your brain, not the electrode.)

When I visited my CI audi about getting one, she warned me it would sound far more mechanical than a HA would. And since I've had the benefit of knowing what things sound like through a HA, she knew I would be able to understand what she was talking about.

First, who are you to determine what should be the language of ALL of the deaf?

Secondly, aren't you kind of proposing an "One Shoe Fit All" mentality? Isn't that kind of saying that all that fall within a subculture based on race, ethnicity, demographics, physical appearance, disabilities, etc... have to live in a certain way?

Lastly, seeing that you made 8,000+ posts and also claiming that you're hearing, may I ask exactly what is your relationship to the deaf and hard of hearing? Are you an interpreter or something?

This is exactly What I was talking about in my last post.

Your hostility is palpable and why? Just because I gave an opinion and stated I was hearing? See, you assumed I was deaf, didn't you? Once I said I was hearing, the hostility shows through.

That's just sad.

But, I will tell you. I have friends who are deaf. People I care about very much. I joined this forum back in 2004 because a good friend of mine joined. She's gone from the forum now, but, I stayed because I made friends.

As for the rest of your accusations, that's not what I'm doing at all. I know that the one size fits all approach won't work. I support implantation, but, I also support ASL for all deaf people. Because, the reality is, amplification has it's drawbacks. No matter how good someone is at speech reading, they will miss what's being said. Cochlear implants work very well for the majority of deaf people, but there are circumstances where the hearing is less than optimal. That's been proven, so, say what you will.

I know what I'm about. I know what my intentions are, and I know, what I believe. If you choose to accept what I say or reject it, that's up to you. Regardless, that won't change the fact that I care very deeply for deaf people.

Oh, and btw, just so you know... I've been in a wheelchair from the age of 4, and without the ability to walk from birth, so, I'm not just blowing smoke here. I know very well that one may need to get creative to make something work for them. I've been adapting to life my entire life. It's not a new concept for me.

Have a nice day.

When I visited my CI audi about getting one, she warned me it would sound far more mechanical than a HA would. And since I've had the benefit of knowing what things sound like through a HA, she knew I would be able to understand what she was talking about.

It will at first, but within a few months it will sound better. In fact, you may not understand much for the first few weeks, but it will get better as your brain adjusts.

I have talked to MANY people who have both. As well as people who were hearing and then got CI's. Many of them say that after a while the CI is as good as their hearing was. (And that is because the key is your brain, not the electrode.)

Which sounds better, High end stereo recording of a person talkngi, or a real person talking? remember, it is the CI processor that doing all the work.

As for the rest of your accusations, that's not what I'm doing at all. I know that the one size fits all approach won't work. I support implantation, but, I also support ASL for all deaf people. Because, the reality is, amplification has it's drawbacks. No matter how good someone is at speech reading, they will miss what's being said. Cochlear implants work very well for the majority of deaf people, but there are circumstances where the hearing is less than optimal. That's been proven, so, say what you will.

What are the downsides to amplification? And deaf kids who hear don't need to read lips, that is the point of hearing well.

Which sounds better, High end stereo recording of a person talkngi, or a real person talking? remember, it is the CI processor that doing all the work.

But natural hearing is not possible for deaf people right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back