A Cure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different CIs offer different features, but my daughter's type of CI has 22 electrodes, and users can distinguish 161 different pitches. Normal hearing can potentially distinguish up to 1400 different pitch steps, but that's usually achieved through a great deal of musical training, most can't perceive pitch differences at anywhere near that level. Still, that's a HUGE difference.

But I've never heard anyone who knows what he or she is talking about claim that a CI provides exactly what a human ear is designed to do naturally. Just because the access to sound via a CI is different from what most people hear with fully functioning ears doesn't mean it is "horrendous."

People bought and watched and enjoyed a whole lot of TVs before there was high def. We may look at a grainy old black and white TV from the 60s and wonder how we could watch that, and people will look back on the televisions we watch today and wonder how we could have watched those. But I can still watch and enjoy a Hitchcock film today, even without the CGI special effects we have now.
Thank you. Now you see why I don't want a CI... I enjoy real hearing.

My daughter hasn't ever experienced real hearing, but she insists on her CIs each morning on her own -- she likes sound. You can get a good sense of how CIs sound to people who have had hearing by reading any number of blogs from late-deafened adults. Although most no longer post here after choosing CIs and being subject to a whole lot of argument, there are a few who are active.

I doubt that. Most babies aren't born understanding English. They are trained to listen while still in utero and continue for quite some some as they learn to listen and develop an understanding of the sounds around them. The reason pre-lingual CI kids need training is to rapidly catch them up with all that time lost.

My daughter was born hearing and she used hearing aids and now has a CI. The signal she received through her hearing aids was so poor that it was impossible for her to understand spoken language. She was implanted and started to understand speech the same day. The sounds she is hearing through her CI are "a million times clearer" than her hearing aid. She can hear and understand all sounds of speech, not just tell the difference between a car and a radio.

My daughter was born hearing and she used hearing aids and now has a CI. The signal she received through her hearing aids was so poor that it was impossible for her to understand spoken language. She was implanted and started to understand speech the same day. The sounds she is hearing through her CI are "a million times clearer" than her hearing aid. She can hear and understand all sounds of speech, not just tell the difference between a car and a radio.

:) I didn't list all the stuff I heard.. After telling some people what I could hear in these times... I've been told I was a liar.

THe point of this thread is cure for deafness... I'm simply saying there is something else that is possible, other than mechanical. No need to get butt hurt over what you have done.

That "something else" i speak of.. is much less invasive... Because I seriously believe its a "on and off" switch... But where? Where is it?

There are 400 genes for deafness... It's all in dna sequences.. its either on or off. 0 or 1. Trigger that, then you have your hearing...

Sound comes in waves... HA and implants lump all the sounds into one sound. While the finesse of the sound waves makes it more tuned to separate sounds...

For me, that is just so much better than anything mechanical.

yes, I agree. The only thing that is a cure and when I want to be hearing if I was hearing(or have a hearing gene) from the moment I was conceived (I hope I use that term properly).

whats the most channels of sound does CI provide? 32 these days? with the norm of 24? Adn how many can a person fully attain? 20-22 with the 24 channel?

The hearing spectrum is from 300hz up to 20,000 hz.. You hear sounds at exactly 1000.53 hz if it were 1000.53hz, is that possible with the implants? I doubt it.

These people who are late deafened and then implanted.... what exactly are they happy about?

NOW.. Understanding sounds around me.. Like I said, it was instant. English.. That's another deal. If I was hearing for a week, i'll say that I pretty much can understand at least 80% without looking. No joke.

Hearing true sounds is just THAT CLEAR.

Now.. With the implants, how grainy is it?

Look at your monitor settings... change it to 256 colors.
That's what I can imagine sounds to be like... I mean.. 24 channels and "blurring it in" some what.. have 10 extra "channels" from technology of the processor per channel, so 240 channels or so...

THAT is what i am implying with a CI sound.. You can see the pictures and such, but it is not clean, smooth, crisp, and clear.

AB has 120 virtual channels and the average user can hear 460 pitches in the speech range. And yes, even though there are only a finite number of electrodes, they stimulate the entire cochlea and you can hear the intermediate sounds, not just the specific electrode spots.

THe point of this thread is cure for deafness... I'm simply saying there is something else that is possible, other than mechanical. No need to get butt hurt over what you have done.

That "something else" i speak of.. is much less invasive... Because I seriously believe its a "on and off" switch... But where? Where is it?

There are 400 genes for deafness... It's all in dna sequences.. its either on or off. 0 or 1. Trigger that, then you have your hearing...

Sound comes in waves... HA and implants lump all the sounds into one sound. While the finesse of the sound waves makes it more tuned to separate sounds...

For me, that is just so much better than anything mechanical.
I am not an expert but I don't believe that changing DNA sequences will cure all forms of deafness due to the many different causes. With all due respect, I just don't think in my personal opinion it is as easy as you have said.

AB has 120 virtual channels and the average user can hear 460 pitches in the speech range. And yes, even though there are only a finite number of electrodes, they stimulate the entire cochlea and you can hear the intermediate sounds, not just the specific electrode spots.

ok. 460 pitches... not bad, not enough though

ok. 460 pitches... not bad, not enough though

yes, think of all the flavors and blending of food... 460 taste is not going to be enough.

most CI are tone deaf. If you try humming a song, Some of them will have a difficult time recognizing the music.

yes, think of all the flavors and blending of food... 460 taste is not going to be enough.

most CI are tone deaf. If you try humming a song, Some of them will have a difficult time recognizing the music.

Actually, that isn't true. If a CI user is exposed to music and do music therapy, they actually perform well with music.

I was talking about tone deaf. Humming a song can show if a person is tone deaf. I can hear musics with my CI, but I am still tone deaf.

I was talking about tone deaf. Humming a song does show if a person is tone deaf. I can hear musics with my CI, but I am still tone deaf.

Tone deaf would imply that you can't follow a tune. So you can't sing on key or tell if someone else isn't.

Oh, and plenty of hearing people are tone deaf!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back