A Cure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a cure for dhh kids or people who were dhh as kids is never going to be more then rhetorical. It SOUNDS good. But I think we would have to look at cases of childhood blindness to get an idea of what could happen. Oliver Sacks wrote about a guy who was early blinded, and had surgery so he could see. The surgery restored his sight, but what his version of seeing was, was more akin to what a low vision person saw, not what we sighted people think of when we think of sight.
That's what would prolly happen with dhh kids. In fact, it IS what happens with dhh kids with CIs and HAs.
I doubt there's a lot of research going in to cure genetic causes of hearing loss. It's a benign disorder you know. It's not like Alzhimer's or Parkinsons or whatever.

I can attest to saying this from experience... There is a cure for hearing... I just don't want ot be a subject for it. I will refuse to be.

it's like hearing can be flicked "ON" for me at times. :)

But again, if I was offered a billion dollars, I wouldnt give them the day of testing me.

I'll just say this much... Hearing real sounds is at least 1 million times better than hearing aids and any equipments i've wore over the years. I cannot imagine the the quality of CI... It must be horrendous.

And best of all.. I didn't need any training to understand what I was hearing. I understand it INSTANTLY. Hearing aids... it takes a long long time. Right here should tell you a lot about the quality...

This happens once in a while.. I can tell the differences from the radio going, dog barking, the cars driving up and down the street while being inside the house, on top of few other sounds.

I've described the sounds I heard to my mom... I'd say I can easily hear like a hearing person while these episodes are underway.. then its back to deaf.

The choice is easy for me... being able to hear via technology or deaf.... it's gonna be deaf - no questions. Being able to be exactly hearing, or being deaf... I'd still pick deaf. However I can tell the difference.. Being hearing as opposed to being able to hear assisted is just so much easier.

Yes that Tousi guy is often somewhat sarcastic and hostile. If he has a problem with some of the posts or doesn't agree with them, he could just simply make some counter viewpoints in a discussion sense rather than do it the way he does.

Could not agree more!

@ PFH. Good post.

Having been through the gamut of hearing, hoh and deaf - you are correct sir! Prefer deafness over any aid that I have had. Odd though it is for most folks to understand I do prefer full deafness. Much better.

I'll just say this much... Hearing real sounds is at least 1 million times better than hearing aids and any equipments i've wore over the years. I cannot imagine the the quality of CI... It must be horrendous.
My daughter hasn't ever experienced real hearing, but she insists on her CIs each morning on her own -- she likes sound. You can get a good sense of how CIs sound to people who have had hearing by reading any number of blogs from late-deafened adults. Although most no longer post here after choosing CIs and being subject to a whole lot of argument, there are a few who are active.

And best of all.. I didn't need any training to understand what I was hearing. I understand it INSTANTLY.
I doubt that. Most babies aren't born understanding English. They are trained to listen while still in utero and continue for quite some some as they learn to listen and develop an understanding of the sounds around them. The reason pre-lingual CI kids need training is to rapidly catch them up with all that time lost.

I've always tried to remain open minded while believing that ASL should be a given for the deaf (even though I'm fully hearing and have been from birth). I've been misunderstood. I've been discounted because I'm hearing (which I can appreciate to some degree, because, I truly DON'T know what it's like to be deaf and never would try to say that I do). Yet, SOME people on here have been rude to me simply because I agreed with the stance that ASL should be a given. Others have been rude to me simply because I'm hearing.
First, who are you to determine what should be the language of ALL of the deaf?

Secondly, aren't you kind of proposing an "One Shoe Fit All" mentality? Isn't that kind of saying that all that fall within a subculture based on race, ethnicity, demographics, physical appearance, disabilities, etc... have to live in a certain way?

Lastly, seeing that you made 8,000+ posts and also claiming that you're hearing, may I ask exactly what is your relationship to the deaf and hard of hearing? Are you an interpreter or something?

I can attest to saying this from experience... There is a cure for hearing... I just don't want ot be a subject for it. I will refuse to be.

it's like hearing can be flicked "ON" for me at times. :)

But again, if I was offered a billion dollars, I wouldnt give them the day of testing me.

And best of all.. I didn't need any training to understand what I was hearing. I understand it INSTANTLY. Hearing aids... it takes a long long time. Right here should tell you a lot about the quality...

This happens once in a while.. I can tell the differences from the radio going, dog barking, the cars driving up and down the street while being inside the house, on top of few other sounds.

I've described the sounds I heard to my mom... I'd say I can easily hear like a hearing person while these episodes are underway.. then its back to deaf.

The choice is easy for me... being able to hear via technology or deaf.... it's gonna be deaf - no questions. Being able to be exactly hearing, or being deaf... I'd still pick deaf. However I can tell the difference.. Being hearing as opposed to being able to hear assisted is just so much easier.
I'm not sure what you're implying here? Are you saying you either used to be hearing or actually do have a little hearing without any hearing aids?

My daughter hasn't ever experienced real hearing, but she insists on her CIs each morning on her own -- she likes sound. You can get a good sense of how CIs sound to people who have had hearing by reading any number of blogs from late-deafened adults. Although most no longer post here after choosing CIs and being subject to a whole lot of argument, there are a few who are active.

When someone asked, "Why you don't want CI" There's always someone who disagree with their reasons. His reason is because it is not the same as natural hearing. So if you going to respect someone who don't want a CI, you'll have to respect their reasons.

Of course I disagree with some of the reasons why people want an implant (the negative views, that is) . but I know they are going to do be implanted anyway.

Tell the gov't that when they are determine to make English the language for ALL American citizens in Education. You rarely seen an Spanish Dept. of Education that don't focus too much on English as Second Language.

When someone asked, "Why you don't want CI" There's always someone who disagree with their reasons. His reason is because it is not the same as natural hearing. So if you going to respect someone who don't want a CI, you'll have to respect their reasons.

Of course I disagree with some of the reasons why people want an implant (the negative views, that is) . but I know they are going to do be implanted anyway.

I've not disrespected anyone's reasons to implant or not to implant. PFH write that he couldn't imagine what a CI would sound like, thought it would be horrendous. I simply answered that my daughter likes the sound, although she's not got natural hearing to compare it with, and there are many who have experienced it and who write about that experience (pro and con).

And that is good -- that people write about the pros and cons. I considered a CI myself several years ago after a lot of research -- I needed to learn about those same pros and cons as well.

I'm not sure what you're implying here? Are you saying you either used to be hearing or actually do have a little hearing without any hearing aids?

I was born deaf. I dont hear anything without hearing aids.

If you could read and actually put some thinking powers to it, you would see the point I am making in the post.

Hint: The thread topic, and my first few sentences.... :roll:

Secondly, aren't you kind of proposing an "One Shoe Fit All" mentality? Isn't that kind of saying that all that fall within a subculture based on race, ethnicity, demographics, physical appearance, disabilities, etc... have to live in a certain way?

Lastly, seeing that you made 8,000+ posts and also claiming that you're hearing, may I ask exactly what is your relationship to the deaf and hard of hearing? Are you an interpreter or something?

Don't start that crap

Better than having hundreds of deaf people with language delays, isnt it?

I doubt that. Most babies aren't born understanding English. They are trained to listen while still in utero and continue for quite some some as they learn to listen and develop an understanding of the sounds around them. The reason pre-lingual CI kids need training is to rapidly catch them up with all that time lost.
whats the most channels of sound does CI provide? 32 these days? with the norm of 24? Adn how many can a person fully attain? 20-22 with the 24 channel?

The hearing spectrum is from 300hz up to 20,000 hz.. You hear sounds at exactly 1000.53 hz if it were 1000.53hz, is that possible with the implants? I doubt it.

These people who are late deafened and then implanted.... what exactly are they happy about?

NOW.. Understanding sounds around me.. Like I said, it was instant. English.. That's another deal. If I was hearing for a week, i'll say that I pretty much can understand at least 80% without looking. No joke.

Hearing true sounds is just THAT CLEAR.

Now.. With the implants, how grainy is it?

Look at your monitor settings... change it to 256 colors.
That's what I can imagine sounds to be like... I mean.. 24 channels and "blurring it in" some what.. have 10 extra "channels" from technology of the processor per channel, so 240 channels or so...

THAT is what i am implying with a CI sound.. You can see the pictures and such, but it is not clean, smooth, crisp, and clear.

Now that I really think about it... Hearing aids does drain energy when I wore them.. True hearing doesnt drain energy...

Now that I really think about it... Hearing aids does drain energy when I wore them.. True hearing doesnt drain energy...

I can relate somewhat. These days when I wear my hearing aids, it is for environmental sounds so it doesnt drain energy for me. Only when I have to communicate without any visual cues, it become draining.

whats the most channels of sound does CI provide? 32 these days? with the norm of 24? Adn how many can a person fully attain? 20-22 with the 24 channel?

Different CIs offer different features, but my daughter's type of CI has 22 electrodes, and users can distinguish 161 different pitches. Normal hearing can potentially distinguish up to 1400 different pitch steps, but that's usually achieved through a great deal of musical training, most can't perceive pitch differences at anywhere near that level. Still, that's a HUGE difference.

But I've never heard anyone who knows what he or she is talking about claim that a CI provides exactly what a human ear is designed to do naturally. Just because the access to sound via a CI is different from what most people hear with fully functioning ears doesn't mean it is "horrendous."

People bought and watched and enjoyed a whole lot of TVs before there was high def. We may look at a grainy old black and white TV from the 60s and wonder how we could watch that, and people will look back on the televisions we watch today and wonder how we could have watched those. But I can still watch and enjoy a Hitchcock film today, even without the CGI special effects we have now.

I still watch Black and white movies. I grew up with black and white tv. We couldn't afford a color tv even though everyone had color tv in those days. i think I was about 10 or 11 years old when we had our first color tv from the thift store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back