A Cure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's cross that bridge when we get to it...:P

ha my late 50's friend always say that quote to me. In fact, her mom said it to her all the time. haha

Well, the word, "normal", have more meanings. But if it is about healthy and normal people, then my define would say:

- No disability; all five senses, not one missing of any sense.
- Spoken language is the most common in worldwide.
- Healthy, of course.
- Have a normal life as a typical human (yes, I know there are exceptions for harsh and cruel situations).

That is why the dictionary said about disability:

That is how I view. :dunno:

Well my no one in my family had a 'normal' life. so I would not know a normal person if I saw one! LOL!

By those definitions I am not handicapped so therefore need no such "cure".

So, since we all agree that hearing aids and cochlear implants are NOT a cure for hearing loss, what would be?

Yes, nothing that exsists now is a cure, but theoretically, what would be defined as a cure in your eyes?

Does it just have to provide functionality as a hearing person? Perfect hearing? Take away the hearing loss? Restore whatever caused the loss? Or does it just have to provide hearing all the time? From birth?

What would qualify as a cure for hearing loss in your eyes?

I think a cure for deafness is elusive, because, you'd need to figure out the many different causes of deafness.

If you are talking genetically caused deafness, perhaps the much touted stems cells could be a cure one day or genetic engineering of another sort.

But, what about those causes of deafness NOT caused by genetics? Perhaps, vaccines that would do away with German Measles?

Better medications that aren't ototoxic? We can go on and on ....

But, we're also talking about a perfect world, and that, doesn't exist. It's nice to ponder, though, I guess....

But, in the meantime, lets focus on how we treat individuals. The hearing and the deaf are set apart, and it's mostly because the two groups of people don't want to take the time to learn to interact. People don't/won't give the other person a chance. I've seen the bitterness right here on the forum. If it exists here on a forum, it has to be palpable out in the real world. It also makes me sad, because, all it takes is understanding and patience for people to get along.

How do stem cell work? Do they simply try to regrow to fix what been destroyed using their DNA? If so, does that complicate those who are already genetically deaf? that if they try to regrow ear hair,the ear hair cell will simple be the same form they were born with?

A "cure for deafness" would seem to entail a "replacement of cochlea" or "replacement of
nerves which carry "sound"? whatever to the brain". On the immediate horizon?

Implanted-Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

perhaps stem cell therapy may advance or the ability to clone certian body parts such as a cochlea. :dunno:

So, since we all agree that hearing aids and cochlear implants are NOT a cure for hearing loss, what would be?

Yes, nothing that exsists now is a cure, but theoretically, what would be defined as a cure in your eyes?

Does it just have to provide functionality as a hearing person? Perfect hearing? Take away the hearing loss? Restore whatever caused the loss? Or does it just have to provide hearing all the time? From birth?

What would qualify as a cure for hearing loss in your eyes?
From what I've gathered, some of the different choices could be the following...

- Hair Cells Regeneration

- Gene Therapy

- Stem Cells Research

etc

It may actually be here sooner than we think. I can't think of a more credible source than the Stanford University School of Medicine.

Aiming to cure deafness, scientists first to create functional inner-ear cells

Aiming to cure deafness, Stanford scientists first to create functional inner-ear cells- Office of Communications & Public Affairs - Stanford University School of Medicine
Yes, it could possibly happen sooner than expected. Cause sometime inventions do occur "accidentally". For instance, wasn't AG Bell originally trying to create some type of an hearing device for the deaf when he invented the telephone, etc...?

A cure would be the end of mistreatment of deaf people by hearing society.
I'm sorry if you may have had some experience that may have prompted you to have some beliefs. However, sometime it becomes an attraction thing such that when you think about it too much, you may also actually increase the chance of it happening again.

For instance, let's say there are two guys whose face is green and another guy whose face is purple. And one green guy keeps thinking "boy I really have a problem with that purple guy..." and keeps saying it over and over again. While the other green guy would think along the lines of "I like that purple guy" or "not all purple guys are bad...". Who do you think is eventually going to have more of a problem with the purple guy? The green guy who keeps complaining about them or the green guy that would say nice things about the purple guys in genera, etc...? You get the picture.

Just some constructive advice that's all.

Yes that Tousi guy is often somewhat sarcastic and hostile. If he has a problem with some of the posts or doesn't agree with them, he could just simply make some counter viewpoints in a discussion sense rather than do it the way he does.

If you are talking genetically caused deafness, perhaps the much touted stems cells could be a cure one day or genetic engineering of another sort.

But, what about those causes of deafness NOT caused by genetics? Perhaps, vaccines that would do away with German Measles?
You brought up some good points. However some deafness were still a result of the damage to the hair cells regardless of whether or not it was genetic or cause of the measles or other diseases, etc.

Audist.gif

You brought up some good points. However some deafness were still a result of the damage to the hair cells regardless of whether or not it was genetic or cause of the measles or other diseases, etc.

Which pretty much renders this whole discussion hypothetical.

There are many causes for deafness. Many. So, the real questions aren't "How do we cure deafness?" But, more along the lines of.."How can the deaf and hearing come together?" I have been on this forum since 2004 (minus my 18 mos ban between 06-08), and I've seen the division. I've always tried to remain open minded while believing that ASL should be a given for the deaf (even though I'm fully hearing and have been from birth). I've been misunderstood. I've been discounted because I'm hearing (which I can appreciate to some degree, because, I truly DON'T know what it's like to be deaf and never would try to say that I do). Yet, SOME people on here have been rude to me simply because I agreed with the stance that ASL should be a given. Others have been rude to me simply because I'm hearing.

Why is this? Well, no. I know why this is. It's because the deaf have been treated like crap for centuries, but here's what bugs me. Don't judge ME based on someone elses' behavior. Just because someone treats you badly, it does NOT mean that we ALL will.

This is the issue I have with some deaf. They have a chip on their shoulder and they have a right to some degree, but when are WE as human beings, going to STOP assuming the worst about people?

I would go so far as to say that some on here have the right to BE bitter, but, ask yourself. What does it serve to be angry and bitter?

Really. It serves no purpose at all except to make one feel even more horrible. I hope that one day the deaf and hearing can come together and learn from each other. That would truly be a great day!

** steps off soapbox**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back