A Cure

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the original question, I think "cure" would mean being born without deafness, and never knowing a moment of what it felt like.

Oh, no! Have you already forgotten about that magic pill!?? :lol:

For the original question, I think "cure" would mean being born without deafness, and never knowing a moment of what it felt like.

So, whatever this "cure" would be would have to happen before birth.

Hearing in crowds. Trying to speech read people in a group, ect.

I also wasn't just talking about children. I was talking about adults who grew up oral without ASL. I'm talking about HA users AND CI users. I'm talking about many different situations, FJ. I can and do agree with you that most children (the ones I know about at least) have done very, very well with their CI. There is no denying that, but there is also no denying that the technology, no matter how great, has it's drawbacks in certain situations.

If those were downsides to amplification it would mean that unamplified deaf people would do better in those situations. So, do unamplified deaf people "hear better in crowds"?

Wirelessly posted

You are asking which sounds better to my child, a "pixilated" - as you put it, not inaccurately - version of sound, or what she hears naturally. She greatly enjoys that CI-generated sound, which she receives very accurately according to her grasp of pitch. She can gear an airplane engine up close without her CIs. That's pretty much it. She doesn't dance and sing to airplane engines.

ok gotcha. However the post was targeted towards hearing people, not CI users.

If those were downsides to amplification it would mean that unamplified deaf people would do better in those situations. So, do unamplified deaf people "hear better in crowds"?

hell yeah, by far. Unless they were blind too.

So, whatever this "cure" would be would have to happen before birth.

That's impossible, FJ. Due to the many circumstances deafness can result from. I think Bott threw that out because this discussion is rather a silly one. Talking about a one size fits all...

There will never been a single cure for deafness due to the many causations. I humored you at first and answered your original question, but really, it's a silly question. There may never been a cure for every cause of deafness.

The people here also don't feel the need to search for that elusive cure. You should know that by now. Cures are meaningless when you're happy living your life the way you live it.

I'll be the first to admit that I would not want a cure for the birth defect I was born with. I've lived life this way, so what would the point be? Now, would I deny someone else that same cure? No, but this is an indvidual thing. Most people HERE ON THE FORUM are happy the way they are. Other people are disgrunted and search for that elusive "cure".

Which is better? Searching for a cure that's a long way off, or one that may never come, or learning to accept things the way they are, and, being happy living in your own skin?

Why is hearing more important than communicating?

My god, that isn't what I said and you know it. I was talking specifically about amplification. I asked a question about hearing and you responded in a way that was not related to hearing.

That's impossible, FJ. Due to the many circumstances deafness can result from. I think Bott threw that out because this discussion is rather a silly one. Talking about a one size fits all...

There will never been a single cure for deafness due to the many causations. I humored you at first and answered your original question, but really, it's a silly question. There may never been a cure for every cause of deafness.

The people here also don't feel the need to search for that elusive cure. You should know that by now. Cures are meaningless when you're happy living your life the way you live it.

I'll be the first to admit that I would not want a cure for the birth defect I was born with. I've lived life this way, so what would the point be? Now, would I deny someone else that same cure? No, but this is an indvidual thing. Most people HERE ON THE FORUM are happy the way they are. Other people are disgrunted and search for that elusive "cure".

Which is better? Searching for a cure that's a long way off, or one that may never come, or learning to accept things the way they are, and, being happy living in your own skin?

OMG, this is the most self-important post I have ever read :roll:

There could be an actual discussion about it. For example, Bott said that it would have to include never having experienced being deaf. I thought that was interesting point.

There could be an actual discussion about it. For example, Bott said that it would have to include never having experienced being deaf. I thought that was interesting point.

My "flicking on the switch" theory aint interesting? :(

My "flicking on the switch" theory aint interesting? :(

I think that the majority of hearing loss is caused by the hair cells in the cochlea. If those were replaced (and whatever caused the damage in the first place is avoided or repaired) it would restore hearing. That isn't possible at this time, but would one consider that a cure? It would restore the workings of the ear, but if done in an adult, the brain would remain "deaf".

I need a cure against those Steelers!

Anyways, was smallpox totally cured or just prevented by the vaccine?

If one comes up with a vaccine that prevents deafness, I guess that would not be a cure since it could return just like smallpox can if no vaccine?

I think that the majority of hearing loss is caused by the hair cells in the cochlea. If those were replaced (and whatever caused the damage in the first place is avoided or repaired) it would restore hearing. That isn't possible at this time, but would one consider that a cure? It would restore the workings of the ear, but if done in an adult, the brain would remain "deaf".

To be honest... I'm starting to doubt that most of the hearing losses are from the loss of hair/damaged...

And from my experiences.. I greatly doubt the brain will remain deaf for very long if it was on. With my few seconds here and there that I was given... I learned much more than the years I had with my aids.

Now did you come up with that? Especially, when I fundamentally agree with what you've done for your daughter? Self important? No. But, I've been on this forum awhile and I know many on here who are happy being deaf and would never consider a cure should one come about. Just search thru the many threads we've had on stem cells and you'll see that a lot of people wouldn't even consider it.

I have to say I wouldn't undergo a stem cell transplant either for spina bifida. I wouldn't, because, I'm happy. The individual who is happy with being deaf wouldn't go searching for a cure, either.

You're looking at this from the perspective of bettering life for your daughter and that's admirable, but many on here have lived their entire lives deaf. Cures probably don't interest them!

That's fact, FJ. You can accept or not, but that's what I've observed. Read back over this thread from the beginning and you will see what I'm saying.

It's called acceptance which is a beautiful skill to develop

Wirelessly posted

Ms Bott's post has me thinking, too. We've tried to find genetic cause, unsuccessfully, and we can find no indication of an illness, in utero or soon after that may have caused Li's deafness. So "cure", which is usually provided after some illness or damage occurs, vs. vaccination to prevent, seems not be quite the right term for our situation. genetic engineering, maybe?

To be honest... I'm starting to doubt that most of the hearing losses are from the loss of hair/damaged...

And from my experiences.. I greatly doubt the brain will remain deaf for very long if it was on. With my few seconds here and there that I was given... I learned much more than the years I had with my aids.

Why do you disagree with all of the research and scientists? (On both counts) As for the brain thing, then why do people who are deaf for longer periods of time do worse with CI's than those who were deaf for shorter periods of time (either through early implantation or hearing people who go deaf)?

Bott wasn't the only one who mentioned that.

Now did you come up with that? Especially, when I fundamentally agree with what you've done for your daughter? Self important? No. But, I've been on this forum awhile and I know many on here who are happy being deaf and would never consider a cure should one come about. Just search thru the many threads we've had on stem cells and you'll see that a lot of people wouldn't even consider it.

I have to say I wouldn't undergo a stem cell transplant either for spina bifida. I wouldn't, because, I'm happy. The individual who is happy with being deaf wouldn't go searching for a cure, either.

You're looking at this from the perspective of bettering life for your daughter and that's admirable, but many on here have lived their entire lives deaf. Cures probably don't interest them!

That's fact, FJ. You can accept or not, but that's what I've observed. Read back over this thread from the beginning and you will see what I'm saying.

It's called acceptance which is a beautiful skill to develop

You are self important because you think you know me or understand anything about me or my child or life.

I don't think I would choose a cure for my child, and I certainly am not seeking one out. I was attempting to have a philosophical conversation, which clearly failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back