14-year-old girl sues friend over missing iPod

What a ridiclous suit. :P

:( It's ashame that the young lady who owned this iPod, and worked so hard babysitting to save up for, didn't take better care of it. I hope after this lesson learned, she will take better care of what she owns, and think twice about lending expensive items to others.

Update

An anonymous kind soul took it upon herself to buy Shannon Derrik a new iPod Nano, a pink case and a $50 iTunes gift card -- but Melanie McCarthy, Derrik's mother, who filed the lawsuit on her daughter's behalf, is refusing the gift and is going ahead with the case. A package was dropped off for Shannon Derrik, the victim of this terrible, terrible situation, at the offices of The Naperville Sun, a suburban Chicago newspaper that has been closely following the case. The newspaper also reported that both Derrik, and Stephanie Eick, the girl who was entrusted with Derrik's iPod, were invited to appear on the Judge Mathis show, which is taped in Chicago. The respective families had initially accepted the offer, but then McCarthy came to her senses and realized that she'd be ridiculed publicly for putting her daughter through such absurdity.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaconnews/top/2_1_AU31_IPOD_S10831.htm

I think I speak for us all when I say, "WHAT A BITCH!"

if I was her.. I wud never lent her the ipod I wud tell her get her OWN ipod cuz no way I wud let expenvise items go out of my sight like my sk2.. :ugh3:

Why are children allowed to play in court? The girl she is suing should not show up in court. Any judgement against her will mean nothing since she is a minor.

Why are children allowed to play in court? The girl she is suing should not show up in court. Any judgement against her will mean nothing since she is a minor.

well, she got mom to support and got accept enough to get in court.

That is why the school wont allow the kids to bring their expensive item to school in case of stolen or lost. I wouldnt allow my son to bring his expensive stuffs to school. No way!!! I worked hard to get it for him. :nono:

That is why the school wont allow the kids to bring their expensive item to school in case of stolen or lost. I wouldnt allow my son to bring his expensive stuffs to school. No way!!! I worked hard to get it for him. :nono:

well, it happen in late 90s where GameBoy was darn popular and they bring to school :D

Thats called being an adult. Whatever you have a dispute of someone being non responsible for your personal belongings you take em to court.

It's very crazy to lend the expensive iPod to the other people. But it's odd to spend about $500,- to that poor iPod. It's more poor that she've no spare her money for her future. :(

Come to think of it, I wouldn't expect any less from a fourteen-year-old. But her mother? Sheesh. Grow up, lady. =D

That's pretty lame for friend sue friend. lol

Waste money by pay lawyer to get iPod worth less $500.

This story educated us never lend anything to others even if he/she is your close friend.
I hate those who don't care about things borrowed from others. They got no respect to others.:stupid:

if I was her.. I wud never lent her the ipod I wud tell her get her OWN ipod cuz no way I wud let expenvise items go out of my sight like my sk2.. :ugh3:

if I were here..
We all know you definitely have no oppotunity to be her in your previous and rest life. So, get your subjunctive.:rl:

Sue, sue, sue is normal part of American culture.

WTF? Now, that is not true. I am an American citizen and I do not sue people over a mistake that I did.

Anyway, back on topic, I've seen plenty of people in here judge this teen who gave someone her i-pod to borrow, Since when any of you never made that mistake? I'm almost positive sure there are things you've done stupid in your life and regret it. This teen made a mistake, she put her trust into a friend thinking her friend would take care of her i-pod, but this friend who made an irresponsible error cost Sue her i-pod being lost. When you lend someone something, You should return it back just the way it was given to you. So, pretty much I'll say this friend did the dumbiest thing by leaving it on the desk, you think a desk would held on to it?

Back