14-year-old girl sues friend over missing iPod

EDGE

Reaction score
You gotta love the litigousness of youth -- especially when there's an iPod involved. A spat over a missing iPod resulted in a lawsuit in Wheaton, Illinois, when 14-year-old Shannon Derrik sued her (now former) friend Stephanie Eick for losing her brand new iPod. It seems that Shannon made the fool mistake of lending her iPod to Stephanie, who decided it'd be a good idea to give back the iPod by leaving it on Shannon's desk rather than waiting for her to return from the restroom to hand it over in person. The iPod managed to disappear -- apparently someone in that classroom had some sticky fingers -- and so Shannon sued for $475 in damages and court fees (she says she did a LOT of babysitting to pay for that iPod). The case was initially tossed because of an improper filing, but it looks like the two girls will finally square off in court in about a month (the word on the street is that they're gearing up for a serious showdown in the cafeteria when school starts up again). Ryan and I will be headed to Wheaton next month to liveblog the entire trial, we really have no choice to put all our resources into coverage of a case of this magnitude

» source

That's pretty lame for friend sue friend. lol

Waste money by pay lawyer to get iPod worth less $500.

10 yrs ago I lent my mountain bike to a new roommate. The roommate disappeared for 3 days and came back w/o the bike. Tells me it was stolen. I filed police report. 3 weeks later I got a letter stating they recovered my bike at a big drug bust. Turns out it was traded in for drugs there was dozens of bikes, lawn mowers, and golf sets among many things in the warehouse room from that particular bust.

So I confronted it with my roommie and he confessed and then I gave him the boot.

Upshot is I dont lend people things other than my vacant land for camping.

Richard

That's lame. She choosed to lent her friend and somehow, she lose it. That's her fault for letting her borrow it... She should use her common sense!

Damn... I wont let anyone borrow my expensive items!

You could if you want to, but the cost can be very expensive with attorneys. That is why you don't see them in small claim court, but I DID couple times. Oh well...

Legal representation is not permitted in small claims cases.

I´m surprised to see that teenagers are allow sue other teenagers in your country which here in Germany, not. Interesting. :eek3:

I can understand that iPod cost $500 for teenger is a lot of money because she work hard to save up. I look at my sons and I would upset when I were her. My teenager sons are exciting when they saw their saving in their bank account grew up and have each plans to buy something what they wish. I teach my sons to not lend money or expensive items to anyone because it could affect their friendship with anyone if it happened to them.

Now she see it and learn her lesson for not lend expensive items to anyone next time.

sure reminds me of a movie "mean girls"...

I do not consider her as mean girl. $500 for teenager is rather "too much" because she work hard to save hard to fulfill her wish.

How do you feel if you lost $500?

my friend lend her dressage show horse to her friend for shows.. but friend sold horse!!! My friend pay out of her pocket to get her horse back!! :pissed: !!!

It is silly to take i-pod to school, to play music most of time???

I-pod is banned in my children's school.

Sue, sue, sue is normal part of American culture.

I´m surprised to see that teenagers are allow sue other teenagers in your country which here in Germany, not. Interesting.

*curious* How much horse cost?

3500.00 >> 17hd Gelding {German line> Warmblood with beautiful movement legs!

Buyer disbelief price so low and buy him fast but find out its was stolen.. Glad buyer accept horse return to owner with refund full price! :ugh:

It is silly to take i-pod to school, to play music most of time???

I-pod is banned in my children's school.

Sue, sue, sue is normal part of American culture.

iPod is more like highly to steal in school, train, subway, etc... :d

I think it's TOO American for these teenage girls.

Back