10 yrs old arrest for cutting her lunch with a knife.

*speechless :jaw:*

@ :gpost: Calvin

Arrest and treat 10 years old girl a criminal is too extreme and far when she did nothing but cut her own sandwiches in manner way... What a :crazy: and pathetic world. It teachs children to be paraniod for anything... *shake my head*

I cannot say anything because the article didn't say anything about school policy over knife etc. The students and parents know the school policy what should they bring or not...

The point, I don't agree for treat students as criminal or suspend students over nonsense things but remove their knife or whatever. The teacher suppose to tell the student off or explain and then remove their things when she/he see it. The student would apologize teacher for misown/misrespect teacher and school policy and will know that she/he will not do that again next time. If the school policy are being ignored then the parents will receive warning letter from school.

Example about my son last year... My son know the school policy for not use mobile phone during lesson time but his mobile phone was rang. He should ignored it but he didn't. He picked his mobile phone from his school bag up and listen and then talk. His teacher caught him and know it's not emergency... Did my son suspended over that? No, his teacher removed his mobile phone and keep it for the whole 4 weeks... It :pissed: my son total because he need mobile phone. My son thought my hubby & I would support him against teacher to get his mobile phone back but we gave his teacher right because we all know his school rule - why ignore it for? He said the mobile phone rang. I said it's no excuse but ignore it and wait until school break time then... After 4 whole weeks over, he got it back and never do that again... :)

I have always hated zero tolerance in a world where kids are taught to have tolerance for others, but yet the schools have no tolerance for children who make an honest mistake.

I grew up in sort of the 'transition' phase from leniency to absolutely zero tolerance by the time I was a senior.

In elementary school it was common for the boys to carry pocketknives. Even the hand book clearly stated that pocketknives could be carried as long it was no longer than three inches. No switchblades though. My brother was once allowed to carry an unloaded shotgun to school for a class presentation. There were no worries. The biggest fear was the chance of the gun getting stolen, not someone using it to blow people to bits.

In my junior high years we had the wave of school shootings, it was no longer allowed to have knives, nothing. They became very tight on what was appropriate to wear to school. If they thought your pants were too big, they made you change into some cheesy sweatpants.

Now my dad who is a teacher says they are very stringent on what goes on. Nothing gets by.

I can recall one year a senior who was going with the class on senior trips took a gun with him on a trip, I think he was going to have it sighted in at Bass Pro Shops or something, but when he returned the police were waiting on him. He was cuffed and taken away. Got off with probation, he was expelled for one year, which left him repeating his ENTIRE senior year which academically he would have passed and graduated on time otherwise.

But as for the girl using a steak knife at school I can see where the concern would be in her using it and cutting herself with it or someone else if she was not careful. But it is WAAAAY overboard to charge her as a felon, when it is clear she had no malicious or violent intentions with the knife what so ever.

The whole thing could have been avoided if the sandwhich was pre-cut before school at home. Or if nothing else have one of the teachers cut it. I bet this is the last time the girl takes a steak sandwhich to school for lunch.

I agree that zero-tolerance policy has gone too far in many ways. It's not necessary to arrest 5-10 years old children for just bringing in a knife. They're too young to understand the consequences til it's too late. Poor girl that the felony record will be there for the rest of her life. Many schools and administrator has gone overboard and paranoid because of the strings of crimes and so many school shootings in the past several years. It's not the same as 10-20 years ago. Very sad for the next generation has to suffer with the harshest discipline action these days.

School need to lighten up, a plastic knife is just for cutting and isn't sufficient to stab anyone, but might have a light cut than metal knifes would cause deep cuts or stab wounds. As for the steak knife, I wish they'd give a warning but they never did give warning, they just call the cops and have them take care of it and treats them like criminals :ugh3:

:gpost:

I agree with you all the way on this one. It seems as if everywhere, you see something that occurs, it turns out go amok. Whether it's over a big thing or a small thing, they definitely have went out of hand on this one.

We all do cut our sandwiches with plastic or metal knives, right? but yet, are we criminals? No. We aren't. Here's what I don't get - this girl in the article was not even using the knife in an aggressive manner. She was simply using it to cut a steak. It's not like the girl had a "murderous" blood in her to strike out at the first person she has sight on.

Like Dixie said, I can also understand why the school was in concern for this but I don't think this zero tolerance they had could even justify this.

What happened? Schools used to leave the discipline to the parents. It seems as if the schools now days are trying to go overboard at this, generally, so to speak.

Hopefully the judge will throw the whole case out of court since the poor girl did not break any laws, only school rules. I agree that it is obvious the schools these days are too lazy or scared to face the consequences of handling this kind of situation with common sense and a warning or calling the parents to come to the school. They'd rather call the police and let them deal with it and they don't care if they ruin some child's life. We had an archery team in school and nobody ever had a problem from it.

Why don't they ban paper? I get paper cuts almost every day at work. Some of them bleed a lot :ugh2: so maybe I should sue because I am in a dangerous workplace unless they get rid of the paper. Maybe I can get a law passed that all pieces of paper must have rubber coating on the edges :dizzy:

Hopefully the judge will throw the whole case out of court since the poor girl did not break any laws, only school rules. I agree that it is obvious the schools these days are too lazy or scared to face the consequences of handling this kind of situation with common sense and a warning or calling the parents to come to the school. They'd rather call the police and let them deal with it and they don't care if they ruin some child's life. We had an archery team in school and nobody ever had a problem from it.

Why don't they ban paper? I get paper cuts almost every day at work. Some of them bleed a lot :ugh2: so maybe I should sue because I am in a dangerous workplace unless they get rid of the paper. Maybe I can get a law passed that all pieces of paper must have rubber coating on the edges :dizzy:

:bowlol:

:gpost:

I agree with you all the way on this one. It seems as if everywhere, you see something that occurs, it turns out go amok. Whether it's over a big thing or a small thing, they definitely have went out of hand on this one.

We all do cut our sandwiches with plastic or metal knives, right? but yet, are we criminals? No. We aren't. Here's what I don't get - this girl in the article was not even using the knife in an aggressive manner. She was simply using it to cut a steak. It's not like the girl had a "murderous" blood in her to strike out at the first person she has sight on.

Like Dixie said, I can also understand why the school was in concern for this but I don't think this zero tolerance they had could even justify this.

What happened? Schools used to leave the discipline to the parents. It seems as if the schools now days are trying to go overboard at this, generally, so to speak.

Yep the teacher and school need to back off in how to discipline children. Saying children can not give hugs, or hold hands, or touch inappropriate (such as butt or breast for example) as kids are playing around. Leave that discipline to the parents. If students brings gun or illegal drugs or weapon, then they can handle that matter and call the cops. But plastic knifes or such things (hugs for example) that are not need to have a form of punishment.

Schools are getting way overboard lately and for sure they need a big overhaul in disciplining children. :pissed:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yep the teacher and school need to back off in how to discipline children. Saying children can not give hugs, or hold hands, or touch inappropriate (such as butt or breast for example) as kids are playing around. Leave that discipline to the parents. If students brings gun or illegal drugs or weapon, then they can handle that matter and call the cops. But plastic knifes or such things (hugs for example) that are not need to have a form of punishment.

Schools are getting way overboard lately and for sure they need a big overhaul in disciplining children. :pissed:

Well, the school policy can do what they wants with their school since the students are in school building and has to obey their rules, no matter either their rules is stupid or not. The children have to learn to respect when there're different form of discipline at school, at friend's parent's house or work place or whatever as our rules. I taught my boys to not compare our rules with other rules but accept the fact that everyone are different and have different rules in work place, school, friends' parent's house, etc. Example, I don't take my children's toys away for a while but my son's teacher took my son's mobile phone and then return it to him within 4 weeks later. All what I do is respect teacher because she has different form of disicpline as me how to handle my boy and her student.

When the children get new teacher so she/he invites parents to attend parental evening to let the parents know what kind of disicpline he/she use on children in her/his classroom.

I personally against to treat children as criminal or suspend them over nonsense things because it's unfair when they did nothing.

I agree, those who are parents ourselves have to watch out for our own kids or they'll be the next criminals in the schools eyes, all it takes is to make one mistake. :Ohno:

First time offense a child will get arrested, a ride in the police car and charge with a felony. :shock:

Calvin talking about 5 -10 years old Liebling and I agree with him the school policy are getting more stricter these days, it takes time for them to understand and respect the school policy, the schools do go way overboard on these punishment if you noticed!!!

They never give these children warnings, they just punished them just like that! It's bullcrap

Well, the school policy can do what they wants with their school since the students are in school building and has to obey their rules, no matter either their rules is stupid or not.

Well, I disagree with you Liebling. This has gone far as you can imagine, there's no first time offender warned is even given, most of the time they go ahead with suspending at the first time offender, or a phone call to the police.

Hugs are not allowed, when children loves to give and received hugs, You know that right? A hug can make all the difference in the world, there is nothing inappropriate for giving hugs or receiving hugs.

It's incredibly sad to see how school policies gets so strict that it doesn't give any kids any rights anymore.

It even confused my own kids when I tell them don't give anyone hugs at school or you'll be in trouble with the school, they asked me why can't they show any affection at school? I tell them It's just the way it is. I hate to see how frighten my kids look when they can't do so much at school because one mistake will get them in trouble, no matter how they look at it. It's what the school will see how it looks to them.

I agree. Like you said, It depends on how serious the situation is (ie; guns, drugs, etc) to be handled with the law enforcement. As for the petty handling forms of behaviors, that should have been left alone to the parents.

If the girl was using the plastic knife in a violent/agressive behavior, then yeah, that'd be understandable as to why the law enforcements got involved. In this case, she wasn't. What baffles me is, she got a felony record just because of that. I mean, isn't it too young to have a felony record at that age? The school should have handled this situation in a different approach. I felt that, to be charged w/ a felony for this situation is by too far for this.

This girl, in this case to be charged w/ a felony is going to be facing a lot of hard obstacles w/ the walks of life as she grows to become an adult and beyond. Just because of one small unknowingly mistake she made at lunch landed her this. What I don't get is, the school should have thought about how the consequences could have been for the child. Isn't the school supposed to help the child (ofc with parents involvements) build her a future for the better? A felony charge can simply drag the child's life for the worse because some employers and whatanots would reject them from getting a job and other things.

I just hope the parents has a very good lawyer in this case. Hopefully the felony charge will be dismissed and replaced with an appropriate form of punishment.

According to the article, It says;

The report will be turned over to the State Attorney's office and they will decide if to follow up with the weapon's charge.

There might be some hope for the girl to get the felony charge off her record. Hopefully the Academia and Judical system can investigate further in this case and clear this up.

HAs there been an update on this story yet?? I just hope the girl isnt slapped with a felony charge for good, it would make simple things such as getting a checking account nearly impossible.

but even then some employers dont even like the fact that some applicants have a 'sealed juvenile delinquency record'. To them it can show a sign of immaturity, compulsive erratic behavior, and the possibility to commit future crimes as an adult - even though this supposed 'crime' took place at the age of 5!

if I was the parent I wud cut steak into many pieces and put it in tupperwave so she don't have to even cut with stupid knife next time cuz that sounded stupid that they made her look like a criminal even tho she needed a knife to cut steak with? ugh... or better idea don't give her a steak for lunch just give her a chicken sandwich end of discussion ;)

I wonder if she packed the lunch herself? Some kids pack their own school lunches. Maybe that's why the steak wasn't pre-cut. :dunno:

Back