10 yrs old arrest for cutting her lunch with a knife.

Good news about the charges being dropped, but like many of you said, she's already traumatized. I just hope she doesn't go off the rails later on if she doesn't recieve counselling now.

To me it seems that America's living in fear on every levels. Is that healthy?, I wonder

I think justice would be well served if the teachers who resorted to calling the police on this poor child were ordered to pay for her counseling services.

And, no, Miss D....living in fear is decidedly not healthy. Look what someone's irrational fear caused this child to endure.

I agree with you about teachers shouldering the counselling cost. But we both know they won't because they have blanket cover (if this is the right term) as they will claim they were doing their job.

I just wonder how the Americans will cope after years of living in fear in every sphere.

I agree with you about teachers shouldering the counselling cost. But we both know they won't because they have blanket cover (if this is the right term) as they will claim they were doing their job.

I just wonder how the Americans will cope after years of living in fear in every sphere.

Here is an example of what happens. Last Halloween, a man shot a teenaged girl who was with a group of her friends. Rumor had it that the deserted house next to his was "haunted", and they were out on a Halloween ghost hunt. The reason he shot this child with a shotgun? He was afraid of the group of teenagers and felt threatened by their presence.

Just outside of the town I live in just a few months ago, a teenager was shot and killed. Why? He was looting a bail of straw (cost about $2.00) from his neighbor's yard to go archery target practicing with. When the man came out of his house, the kid jumped in his friends truck and they attempted to drive away. The man fired a high powered rifle through the windshield of their truck, killing the kid in the passenger seat. He was 17 years old, and a student of my nephew's. Granted, the kids were wrong for trying to steal a $2.00 bail of straw, but it is not an uncommon prank for a couple of teenagers. And I don't think the loss of the straw justified his shooting at them and killing one of them. A life for a $2.00 bail of straw. They obviously were no threat to him, as they were attempting to drive away (without the straw, BTW) when he shot at them.

It is disturbing when people have talked themselves into so much fear that they resort to violence to supposedly protect themselves from something that was never a threat to them in the first place. Irrational fear is truly something to be afraid of.

Here is an example of what happens. Last Halloween, a man shot a teenaged girl who was with a group of her friends. Rumor had it that the deserted house next to his was "haunted", and they were out on a Halloween ghost hunt. The reason he shot this child with a shotgun? He was afraid of the group of teenagers and felt threatened by their presence.

Just outside of the town I live in just a few months ago, a teenager was shot and killed. Why? He was looting a bail of straw (cost about $2.00) from his neighbor's yard to go archery target practicing with. When the man came out of his house, the kid jumped in his friends truck and they attempted to drive away. The man fired a high powered rifle through the windshield of their truck, killing the kid in the passenger seat. He was 17 years old, and a student of my nephew's. Granted, the kids were wrong for trying to steal a $2.00 bail of straw, but it is not an uncommon prank for a couple of teenagers. And I don't think the loss of the straw justified his shooting at them and killing one of them. A life for a $2.00 bail of straw. They obviously were no threat to him, as they were attempting to drive away (without the straw, BTW) when he shot at them.

It is disturbing when people have talked themselves into so much fear that they resort to violence to supposedly protect themselves from something that was never a threat to them in the first place. Irrational fear is truly something to be afraid of.

Crikey. Some people sure are trigger-happy.

I think the pot's gonna be stirred when I ask this...

Do you reckon the America's gun laws needs more tightening?

I think that might be a good idea. Australia did that after 96 or 97 Port Arthur Massacre.....

thats School have to take action any kind of weapons or hardware which are against law in school.. its law..
I applaud the school take action.. to show good example to others that its not safe also follow rules.. if the school neglect or didnt take action.. image this.. more kids will think its ok to bring.. what happen if they have rage..

scary thought..

anyway :)

I think the pot's gonna be stirred when I ask this...

Do you reckon the America's gun laws needs more tightening?

I think that might be a good idea. Australia did that after 96 or 97 Port Arthur Massacre.....

I don't think its the gun laws that are the problem. It is society's attitudes. We have become so indiviudalistic and self-centered that we have lost all empathy and concern for anything or anyone other than ourselves. Private citizens owned guns 50 years ago, and things like this weren't happening. The social climate was different.

For example, I grew up with guns in the house. My father and my brother were both hunters. I was taught to shoot at the age of 6, because my father believed that if there were going to be guns in the house, the children should know how to use them in order to prevent accidents from happening. No one in my family ever considered using those guns as a weapon against another human being. But, as well as being taught how to use a gun, I was taught responsibility and concern. I was given the message that I have an obligation as a human being to be fair and just and caring toward my fellow man. I was taught that if I feel that another has done me wrong, before I take action to get revenge, I need to try and see the situation from the other person's viewpoint. Perhaps they had a very good reason for their actions, perhaps they were in a position that meant they could not do anything differntly, perhaps they had not been taught that certain actions were hurtful toward others, etc, etc, etc. In other words, find out the reason, and then do something positive to change their behavior. Striking back only means that you are engaging in the destructive behavior as well, and as the old saying goes, "Two wrongs do not make a right."

Here's a story: my family owned a deli and market when I was younger. This was back when soda pop bottles were made of glass, and were returned to the store for a nickle deposit. When customers would return their bottles, my father would store them outside in back of the building until the delivery man came to pick them up.

There was a family that lived a couple of blocks away that had several children, and a father that was out of work much of the time due to problems with alcohol. The mother worked, but did not make enough to support the family on her own. The social welfare programs were not what they are today...food stamps, aid for dependant children, etc. Anyway, about once a week, two of the older girls from the family would come in with a case of empty pop bottles. They would request the return deposit in cash, and then would use the cash to buy other food items.

My father knew that they were stealing the bottles from behind the store, and then bringing them in to get the money. And every time it happened, he smiled, gave them the money, and then let them purchase whatever they wanted in food. When I asked him about it, after I had witnessed them taking the bottles, he said, "I know they are stealing the bottles." Pressed further, he said, "those people have to eat, Jill. That family is doing the best it can. We have what we need. It doesn't take food out of out mouth to just go along with their game." I asked why he didn't just give them the food they wanted, then, and he explained that this was their way of keeping some sort of dignity in the face of their neighbors. It was bad enough to be put in the situation that they were in, and no purpose could be served by making it worse and humiliating them, and making them feel that they were bad and wrong and worthless. He told me we all had pride, and I would not want to be embarrassed and humiliated in front of my friends and neighbors just because I was having hard times that were not always my fault, and therefore, it would be wrong to do that to another human being.

I also grew up watching my father deliver food baskets at Christmas and Thanksgiving and Easter and then come home and cry because the poor conditions some of these families were living in just broke his heart. Often these were families who had a head of the family who was disabled and unable to work, or were a single parent home due to the death of a spouse, etc. They were doing the best they could. He also delivered toys to undrepriviledged children at Christmas, delivered grocery items to elderly people free of charge, and allowed people to charge items in the store knowing that some of the time, he would never see payment. Never did he make a neighbor go without because they were a few pennies short.

My father did all of this without expecting that he would be recognized for his actions. He did it because he believed it was the right thing to do. He did it quietly, and if anyone tried to praise him for his generosity, he always brushed the praise aside. His attitude was that he did it simply because it needed to be done, and it was the right thing to do.

By the same token, had someone entered the store and threatened my father with a gun and the intent to rob him, he would have been indignant that someone would try to take from him that which he would have simply given if only asked. He would not tolerate that kind of behavior. But would he have shot the person? Only if his life was in danger. My father was also an ex-Marine, and very capable of defending himself. But he was never put in that position. No one ever tried to rob him, because they knew it wasn't necessary. If they needed something, all they had do was ask. If he had it, and it was in his power to provide it, he would. And never once would he look down on you for having the need, or for asking. My father was respected and loved, because he respected and loved others. And he expected that you would behave in a respectful manner.

My father wasn't any different from many of the people I grew up with. Everyone had this attitude. As a consequence, crime rates were lower, homelessness was rare, school shootings and drive by shootings were non-existent, and 17 year old boys did not loose their lives for pulling a prank. Children could cut up their lunch without getting arrested, and if they didn't have any lunch, someone would give them something to eat.

I know I have gone off topic, and on a rant just to answer a question about gun laws, but it was the only way I know to explain that it is not the increased restrictions on guns that we need, it is a change in our attitude toward our fellow man. The change has to come from within us, as people, before we will see any improvement in what is going on outside ourselves.

Thanks for letting me drone on!

No problem, Jillio, you can drone on anytime you wish.

I see what you're saying. Your dad, by the sound of it, a good man who had great ethos he lived by.

If he's no longer alive then he'd hate the sad state of American society today. Not many people would understand his ethos and such.

I just hope Australia doesn't get caught up in the way the Americans are today. Sadly, I reckon that might happen sooner or later. It seems people are trigger happy because they shoot first then ask questions later.

Yup, people do need to improve themselves and the society, but whom do they learn from if they have not been taught or showed as you were?

The Australians are not trigger happy prior to the massacre or are they afterward with the exception of the mob.

I think if they just tighten the gun laws a bit in the US then that'd help somewhat.

Here, you have to apply for a permit to use or buy a gun and undergo pyschological test (I think) before it can be granted or rejected. Very recently, a news reporter went to a gun shop to do a segment and said he cannot hold a gun in there because he doesn't have a permit.
Also the semi-auto weapons are banned here.

I think a combination of being educated in ethos as well living by it and restriction on gun laws would benefit the society in little or big ways. JMO.

No problem, Jillio, you can drone on anytime you wish.

I see what you're saying. Your dad, by the sound of it, a good man who had great ethos he lived by.

If he's no longer alive then he'd hate the sad state of American society today. Not many people would understand his ethos and such.

I just hope Australia doesn't get caught up in the way the Americans are today. Sadly, I reckon that might happen sooner or later. It seems people are trigger happy because they shoot first then ask questions later.

Yup, people do need to improve themselves and the society, but whom do they learn from if they have not been taught or showed as you were?

The Australians are not trigger happy prior to the massacre or are they afterward with the exception of the mob.

I think if they just tighten the gun laws a bit in the US then that'd help somewhat.

Here, you have to apply for a permit to use or buy a gun and undergo pyschological test (I think) before it can be granted or rejected. Very recently, a news reporter went to a gun shop to do a segment and said he cannot hold a gun in there because he doesn't have a permit.
Also the semi-auto weapons are banned here.

I think a combination of being educated in ethos as well living by it and restriction on gun laws would benefit the society in little or big ways. JMO.

Couldn't agree with you more, Miss D. And, BTW, my father is no longer living, but I do my best to pass on the lessons he taught me by living up his expectations and examples.

You honour him by passing down his ethos onto your kid and possibly grandkids someday. Then that could be passed down after you leave the earth. A nice thought, indeed. Well, not the dead part but the way something just keeps on living.

Back