10 yrs old arrest for cutting her lunch with a knife.

Wow.. She should have cutting the steak at home before bring it to school without the sharp knife to school :-S

You know, these days safety has become a more pressing concern than ever before Zero tolerance policies are in place in many schools. It's the parents responsibilities to inform their child about the Zero tolerance policies, or read them the school guiding handbook that they received at the begin of the school year. It should stated that in the handbook. Now, this 10 years old is in deep trouble because of lack of knowledge what she is not supposed to bring to school. I do believe this 10 years old did not mean to harm anyone, just wanted to cut her sandwich in half, but it's not her fault that she is unknown to this rule applied in school, Why didn't anyone including the teachers inform all the class students the policy, why didn't their own parents informed their own children. It's messed up! I would put the blame on the school and the parents. Don't leave the children out, get them involved. They need to know what is allowed and what's not allowed in school.

The problem with zero tolerance is that it treats every case in exactly the same way. A child cutting a sandwich is treated the same as a child that brings a knife to school and threatens another child with it. Those are hardly equal infractions, and punishment is supposed to be meted out according to the severity of the violation.

While I agree that this child violated the zero tolerance policy, and that her parents should be called into school to discuss the situation, and the child should receive some sort of punishment for violating school policy, to have her arrested is going too far, IMO. Have we lost all common sense and as a result see taumatizing children as a good thing? Even a court of law looks at mitigating circumstances and intent.

I agree it's a different world. If you'll forgive a bit of nostalgia, I attended Sweet Grass High School in Montana. The basement of our gymnasium where we took physical education and played basketball was a 50-foot smallbore rifle range. We mostly kept our guns in the rear window rack of our pickups, but now and then when dropped off, we put our rifles in our locker for shooting after school.

Okay, that might seem over the top, but at least half the boys carried knives on their belts, not little ones, either.

There was never a shooting or knife fight.

This different attitude reminds me of the semi-humorous commercial for Kentucky Fried Chicken where an employee using a knife and fork causes panic and screaming in the workplace.

Yeah, the world's different, and just a touch on the crazy side, too.

I agree it's a different world. If you'll forgive a bit of nostalgia, I attended Sweet Grass High School in Montana. The basement of our gymnasium where we took physical education and played basketball was a 50-foot smallbore rifle range. We mostly kept our guns in the rear window rack of our pickups, but now and then when dropped off, we put our rifles in our locker for shooting after school.

Okay, that might seem over the top, but at least half the boys carried knives on their belts, not little ones, either.

There was never a shooting or knife fight.

This different attitude reminds me of the semi-humorous commercial for Kentucky Fried Chicken where an employee using a knife and fork causes panic and screaming in the workplace.

Yeah, the world's different, and just a touch on the crazy side, too.

QTF!

to have her arrested is going too far, IMO..

*nods*

I agree, In the eyes of the school that 10 years old was a criminal, she would be treated like any other felon so I think the arrested was inappropriate. I hate to see kids being in handcuffs it's patently offensive. they're not monsters. I've seen 5 years old arrested for throwing a tantrum in his kindergarten class. What a world we are living in where people over-reacted.

*nods*

I agree, In the eyes of the school that 10 years old was a criminal, she would be treated like any other felon so I think the arrested was inappropriate. I hate to see kids being in handcuffs it's patently offensive. they're not monsters. I've seen 5 years old arrested for throwing a tantrum in his kindergarten class. What a world we are living in where people over-reacted.

**nodding agreement** Its a dang shame the way this country treats children sometimes!:rl:

wow i cant believe that.. shesh.. mom should check twice before give to her.. smh

The zero tolerance policy is a joke. Too many honest citizens get punished these days because of the policy. It's ridiculous.

It's even against the policy in some schools for children to bring in plastic knives. Come on, give me a break. The child shouldn't be punished for violating the zero tolerance policy. She brought the knife in to cut her lunch.

People are really making a fuss over nothing. Now the child probably feel like a criminal because of what happened.

This is the most craziest thing I've ever read, this 10 years old student had no intention of using it on anyone and she did not threaten anyone with it either, all she did was brought it to school so she can cut her sandwich at lunch, I do not know why she brought it to school or if her parents were aware that she did, maybe her parents should pay a little more attention but the point is, this girl shouldn't have been charged with a felony, and making this child look like a criminal. It was definitely harsh for the school to call the police on this 10 years old child, they should have suspended her instead and this "zero-tolerance" is getting wayyy out of hand lately, they are just children, not adults for crying out loud!!.

I wonder if pencils will be outlawed next since it is sharp enough to stab someone. Is the schools going to use crayons instead? :ugh3:

This is the most craziest thing I've ever read, this 10 years old student had no intention of using it on anyone and she did not threaten anyone with it either, all she did was brought it to school so she can cut her sandwich at lunch, I do not know why she brought it to school or if her parents were aware that she did, maybe her parents should pay a little more attention but the point is, this girl shouldn't have been charged with a felony, and making this child look like a criminal. It was definitely harsh for the school to call the police on this 10 years old child, they should have suspended her instead and this "zero-tolerance" is getting wayyy out of hand lately, they are just children, not adults for crying out loud!!.

I wonder if pencils will be outlawed next since it is sharp enough to stab someone. Is the schools going to use crayons instead? :ugh3:

Yeah, I've heard about this one since last or couple years ago. One of Student who got stabbed by other Bully student using pencil.

Didn't given Bully Student received the press charge.. Just send the student suspend the school for 2 wks. *cough*, Wha..a.. joke? It's 13 to 15 yrs old range of age.. I cannot remmy.

Yeah, I've heard about this one since last or couple years ago. One of Student who got stabbed by other Bully student using pencil.

Didn't given Bully Student received the press charge.. Just send the student suspend the school for 2 wks. *cough*, Wha..a.. joke? It's 13 to 15 yrs old range of age.. I cannot remmy.

Wow, I'm not so surprised.

Oh man...we will have a generation of "innocent" criminals growing up.

The zero tolerance policy is a lazy excuse for school administrators who are afraid to accept the burden of making their own disciplinary decisions. It's much easier to call the cops and let them handle it. Disgusting. :mad:

Chase, I went to high school in Connecticut, and even we townies had a girls rifle team at the school, and the boys carried knives. (I think if they got caught with a stiletto or switchblade it was confiscated by the teacher but no need to call the police.) We never had a stabbing or shooting at any of the schools. Just some fistfights.

Hubby attended high school in the inner city of Lansing, MI, during the racial tension of forced busing '60's. Lots of guys carried knives. Fistfights, yes. Knife fights or shootings, no.

I agree that zero-tolerance policy has gone too far in many ways. It's not necessary to arrest 5-10 years old children for just bringing in a knife. They're too young to understand the consequences til it's too late. Poor girl that the felony record will be there for the rest of her life. Many schools and administrator has gone overboard and paranoid because of the strings of crimes and so many school shootings in the past several years. It's not the same as 10-20 years ago. Very sad for the next generation has to suffer with the harshest discipline action these days.

School need to lighten up, a plastic knife is just for cutting and isn't sufficient to stab anyone, but might have a light cut than metal knifes would cause deep cuts or stab wounds. As for the steak knife, I wish they'd give a warning but they never did give warning, they just call the cops and have them take care of it and treats them like criminals :ugh3:

What wrong with asking a kitchen person to help cutting her sandwich. This is truly sad situation.

I used to work for the kitchen at the private school and the kids asked for help with cutting or peeling the apples. So there is nothing wrong to ask for help.

I agree that zero-tolerance policy has gone too far in many ways. It's not necessary to arrest 5-10 years old children for just bringing in a knife. They're too young to understand the consequences til it's too late. Poor girl that the felony record will be there for the rest of her life. Many schools and administrator has gone overboard and paranoid because of the strings of crimes and so many school shootings in the past several years. It's not the same as 10-20 years ago. Very sad for the next generation has to suffer with the harshest discipline action these days.

School need to lighten up, a plastic knife is just for cutting and isn't sufficient to stab anyone, but might have a light cut than metal knifes would cause deep cuts or stab wounds. As for the steak knife, I wish they'd give a warning but they never did give warning, they just call the cops and have them take care of it and treats them like criminals :ugh3:

:gpost:

Back