Why my wife and I want our children to hear and speak a little.

Cheri said:
LOL no, I was just curious, I'm surprised to see someone's mom is on a message board. I wouldn't want my dad here. :Ohno:

LOL

Yes, I'm his mom -- This board helped open my mind up to CI, so thanks everybody! No more narrowmindness in this house! I'm first generation deaf out of three generations.

:D :lol: Cheri, Fragmenter & greema.

I would not want my Dad know too much about me here... :D

Boult said:
Yeah, same here, the implant is underutilized so about 10% is used and lots of room for future processors.

Yep, that is indeed the case. The logic is that it is a whole lot easier to upgrade the processor instead of the implant. If they can help it, they don't want to mess with the implant as the cochlea is a mite fragile. I did however have a nice discussion with my audi about the potential to get a new implant down the road. She mentioned with technology going so fast that there may be a time where the advantages are so great that it would be worth getting such an upgrade. I believe we were talking about 20 years down the pike. I will deal with that then. I was reassured that I don't have to do it at all as these implants are built to last the rest of my life which is very nice to know as well.

Fragmenter said:
;) If AB can do it, then Cochlear can do it down the road! I read somewhere they're only using 5 to 10 % of their implant hardware right now.

I'm looking forward to your experiences with the new processor!

actually cochlear jsut came out with a new processor. Your son should be able to get either a body processer, a bte that uses 3 dispoable batteries or the new mini processer which only uses 2, the mini does not have the boot for accessories like the i pod or cd player so you would have to use regular headphones with it I suppose. You'd have to go to their web page to see the annoucnement I think to get more information. I think they also came out with some different programing options but not really sure on that.

I'm not sure what you get in your CI package, mine included 2 bte processer, personal listening cable, tv/stereo cable, batteries, extra battery cages, extra magnet thingy, extra mic covers .....think that's all.

but if you get to pick two processors you might want to get 1 mini and 1 normal bte. They were supposed to be available the 1st of July.

Just my luck 2 months after I get mine they come out with a smaller one. :ugh3:

jag said:
Just my luck 2 months after I get mine they come out with a smaller one. :ugh3:

*Sigh* It would have been nice when I got mine last year but I know I can get that or whatever better thing they got when I upgrade at some point in the future...heck, I'm looking forward to big time colors too! :D

Liebling:-))) said:
:D :lol: Cheri, Fragmenter & greema.

I would not want my Dad know too much about me here... :D

Ha ha! (curious if your dad is hearing or deaf?)
We don't keep secrets from each other in our family... (well, there had been stuff while the kids were growing up (uh, like having overnight swimming parties, boozing, etc. while we're sleeping -- remember we're deaf) -- BUT they eventually told us of those things when they got older and felt comfortable telling us)...

greema said:
Ha ha! (curious if your dad is hearing or deaf?)
We don't keep secrets from each other in our family... (well, there had been stuff while the kids were growing up (uh, like having overnight swimming parties, boozing, etc. while we're sleeping -- remember we're deaf) -- BUT they eventually told us of those things when they got older and felt comfortable telling us)...

Oh the things they eventually tell you. one of mine told me she and her friend would go out her window and sit on the roof, the roof slopes fairly steeply there. ACK!!! kids. Gotta love'em. :cheers:

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=28109

No offense, but that is precisely why our children are going to an oral school right now.

I know us deaf people can do anything if we set our minds to it... but to a limited degree. The world will never cater to us so we gotta do what we gotta do.

I am a product of an oral school. I lost my computer programming job 3 years ago after 10 and half. Your kids might have problems in finding jobs unless we do something about the job discrimination against deaf people.

A lot of people, including my hearing brother-in-law, lost their computer programming jobs 3 years ago after 10+ years. That is not any type of proof that you were discriminated against because of your hearing impairment.

Sheri

I am a product of an oral school. I lost my computer programming job 3 years ago after 10 and half. Your kids might have problems in finding jobs unless we do something about the job discrimination against deaf people.

A lot of people, including my hearing brother-in-law, lost their computer programming jobs 3 years ago after 10+ years. That is not any type of proof that you were discriminated against because of your hearing impairment.

Sheri

I was just going to say the same thing. Layoffs and firings have been happening in the IT field ever since the silicone valley boom went bust - one of my best friends worked in NYC for 15 years and lost his job last year, and he's hearing.

While I agree that we deaf people have a harder time of it looking for jobs I also know quite a few hearing computer programmers who are out of work at the moment too. One friend only recently got employment again after about 3 years of dabbling here and there. Another one went all the way to Singapore to get work. It's not an easy climate for you guys unless you specialize in some very highly sought after programming language.

I agree with both of you.

Limiting yourself to one language is like putting a high school diploma on your job resume and leaving the rest blank... especially when the language is ASL.

There is nothing wrong with ASL, it's just that you need to have the ability to communicate with the hearing people efficiently to boost chances of being successful.

You are so right. Both of my children have been raised orally. In middle school they have learn sign language on a social level. My daughter actually interpeters a lot for the parents of her friends. My daughter has a lot of friends that only know sign language. When my daughter and her friends are out alone, my daughter is the one that is interpeting for them in stores and other such places. By my daughter having a soild base in oral language has help her deaf friends that just signs.

You know it's to bad that you have to say "no offense" I can't understand why this would be offensive. You are making choices that will give your children the tools and skills they need to make it in the world. And yes, it's to bad that the hearing world is not as accomidating to the deaf community as some would want it to be, but you know what, Life is not fair. It's not fair to many (not just the deaf). Hell, I can't tell you how many times life has kicked me in the balls and I am white hearing man. I say more power to ya. And with what I have learned here, I would say just don't abandon ASL and keep the kids active in the deaf community.

You are so right life is not fair and this is lesson that I try to teach my children that life is not fair and we have to learn to live in the life we have and the community we live int.

Speech isn't hard at all if you've been doing it all your life which is the case for my children. I didn't say jaw-flapping in the first place but you twisted it into that.

Literacy? Why do most deaf people that didn't waste their time with speech training struggle with literacy?

If you want to talk about jobs, then click on the link in my first post and come back here. I'm lucky to hold a nice job myself and I know I worked twice as hard as the next hearing person for that opportunity. I still work twice as hard to keep it.

About the personal attacks, isn't "jaw-flapping" a put down? This is not a one-way street, you peabrain.

You are so right. A deaf person raised orally, it isn't hard for this person to use oral language. It is second nature for them since this is what they have been doing all of their lives. I talk from experience since both of my teenagers are deaf and have been raised orally.

What did I call you?

Besides, "jaw-flapping" is a just a joke in the hearing world. It's not a put-down.

I can understand a deaf person who is doesn't have oral skills either by choice or because he/she was never interested in oral skills using this term with another deaf person but what gives you the right, you are hearing, you are not married to a deaf person, or have deaf children.

It is like and I hate saying this, I am just trying to make a point but it is like a white person calling a Mexican person beaner or wet back. I use these terms because I am Mexican-American and since I look white I have had white people use these terms with me towards other Mexicans. And you know what I do, I turn around and tell them that I do not speak English and only speak Spanish. But if a friend who is also Mexicans uses this term towards me or friend it is different because we are both Mexicans. We are no insulting each other we are just joking around. Your intention is to put down deaf people that are oral.

I'm afraid but aren't you guys hearing? You don't know what it's like to live in a silent world.

Not all deaf people want to be deaf so why can't their feelings be respected?

You are so right. It is your choice. It your child. As long as you make an inform decision, which it looks like you are doing research. CI's have worked really well for my children but I know they are not for everyone.

:grouphug:

This is my dream -- deafies from all walks of life getting along with each other AND with the hearing people! Props to everyone in this thread :dance2:

WOW, this is all that I ever want for my oral deaf children. I want to be part of the Deaf community. I do not want them to be rejected. I want people to accept for who they are. This is what I cannot understand why can't both sides accept each other and learn from each other.

We are positioning them to have the most opportunies possible in any occupation. Don't worry, Mookie; leave the burden of worrying to us :deal:

Mookie is kind of right it is hard for my children to understand people with heavy accents but this is where we as parents teach our children. I have taught my children that if they do not understand somebody to ask them to repeat themselves. If again they do not understand to tell the person I am deaf and am having a hard time to understanding you could you please say it again in louder clearer voice. When my children have told people they have always made it a point to speak in a clearer more understanding voice.

I was just going to say the same thing. Layoffs and firings have been happening in the IT field ever since the silicone valley boom went bust - one of my best friends worked in NYC for 15 years and lost his job last year, and he's hearing.

Actually I work in the IT industry - its simple you don't keep up with technology you WILL find your way out the door. This is why it is essential to keep up with technology and your field. Don't assume what you know will be enough - you have to keep on learning otherwise you will end up unemployed. I have worked in the technology field for over 11 years - and have been blessed. Technology is a rapidly turning environment and there are alot of unemployed individuals deaf and hearing - because they didn't keep up. I have interviewed plenty of candidates and they didn't qualify because they weren't keeping up with technology and were clueless they were still back in the dinosaur ages.

Back