Why my wife and I want our children to hear and speak a little.

Nope, my dad and I have an awesome relationship and I wish the same for every father and son in the world.

As for my dad's perspective, he knows there are opportunies other than just the deaf school. He understands that the world is an evolving entity that waits for no one. That is what I love the most about my dad.

He has an open heart and he holds absolutely no grudges against the world. He is a beautiful man inside and out.

I love you, dad.

SxyPorkie said:
GNU... Fragmenter is right in some way... since I learned that there are lots of deafies in his family and relatives.... one of my dearest friends just callled me on VP confessed to me that she had CI implanted not long while ago... She was scared that I would hate her... I do not hate her for this... It was her choice..I had known her for many years .. she wore the hearing aids and always wants to hear lots of things and even tried to learn to play the piano... Now she told me herself she can hear the birds chiirping.... Yet she still is involved with the Deaf Culture.. she still uses the ASL full time... I guess that CI did not stop her from using ASL .. She did consider herself a hearing person... I can assume that Fragmenter still would use the ASL if he has CI implants... SO BE IT !!!!

Thanks!!
SxyPorkie
When did I ever say my ears prevented me from socializing with the Deaf community? :dunno:

When did I ever say my ears prevented me from socializing with the Deaf community?

You mean, your hearing did NOT prevented you from belong to the deaf community? you sign? how did you learn?

Fuzzy

Fragmenter said:
Nope, my dad and I have an awesome relationship and I wish the same for every father and son in the world.

As for my dad's perspective, he knows there are opportunies other than just the deaf school. He understands that the world is an evolving entity that waits for no one. That is what I love the most about my dad.

He has an open heart and he holds absolutely no grudges against the world. He is a beautiful man inside and out.

I love you, dad.

Son, I had Dad sit by me to read this post and after reading it he turned to me smiling. He's proud of you, son!
Mucho lovo
VP later?
:ily:

gnulinuxman said:
When did I ever say my ears prevented me from socializing with the Deaf community? :dunno:

I never accused you about your ears .. I know you have been socialized with lots of deafies...It is great!!!

I just simply told you that Fragmenter was right... That's it...don't put words in my mouth or should I say my eyes and brain...LOL

Thanks!!
SxyPorkie :dunno:

Fragmenter,

I am curious, since you have been researching... so have you decided which brands to go for?

I am guessing you will go for AB since 120 channels will be coming out shortly... :D

Or you waiting for those appts for your kids and yourself to decide which?

so? :D

Boult said:
Fragmenter,

I am curious, since you have been researching... so have you decided which brands to go for?

I am guessing you will go for AB since 120 channels will be coming out shortly... :D

Boult,
Those 120 channels. Isn't that real 12 electroes that each have 10 virtual electrodes?

Cloggy said:
Boult,
Those 120 channels. Isn't that real 12 electroes that each have 10 virtual electrodes?
AB's have 16 channels. 120 is software/processor based. If you read Michael Chorost's website and his article in Wired. that's is what it is.

I believe it is called "current steering" (when I say "current" I mean "electric current" not as "time of day" ) combinded with Virtual Channels

I was told this interview describe best on steering;http://www.healthyhearing.com/library/interview_content.asp?interview_id=720
Osberger: Current steering allows us to create synthetic or virtual channels between electrode contacts to deliver more frequency information to the cochlear-implant user. Prior to this technology, the number of frequency channels was limited by the number of electrode contacts in the array. Through simultaneous delivery of current to pairs of adjacent electrodes, stimulation can be “steered” to sites between the contacts by varying the proportion of current delivered to each electrode, thereby eliciting pitch percepts that are intermediate to the two electrodes. The number of distinct pitches that can be heard defines the number of spectral channels that can be perceived by the cochlear implant user. It is predicted that increased spectral resolution will improve music perception and enjoyment in cochlear implant users.

Read the interview in full for more...
Hope that's clear

Cloggy said:
Boult,

the freedome has 22 or is it twenty electrodes? which with different programming can be but to 120. gives them alot more options when programming. My understanding is all the companies are very close with their technology so whatever choice you make is probably ok. The big thing to look for would be how well they integrate new tech with thier older models, also failure rates tho even they are close between all brands.

Boult said:
AB's have 16 channels. 120 is software/processor based. If you read Michael Chorost's website and his article in Wired. that's is what it is.

I believe it is called "current steering" (when I say "current" I mean "electric current" not as "time of day" ) combinded with Virtual Channels

I was told this interview describe best on steering;http://www.healthyhearing.com/library/interview_content.asp?interview_id=720

Read the interview in full for more...
Hope that's clear
INteresting read, thanks boult.

I only get Cochlear since I live in Australia but I think the AB's new development sounds exciting and I hope that it has success on a large population of users. It's great to have these developments to spur all the manufacturers on!

Boult said:
Fragmenter,

Hmmmm...

We chose the Freedom because it's common and we have not heard anybody say anything bad about it on the internet or in person. So far, I only know of three people who has an AB.

And, what's more, we feel reassured with the Freedom's soft-tip electrode insert. The 120 channel technology advance by AB sounds truly innovative and exciting but we're gonna stick to our guns and bet on Freedom's software engineers to do their job LOL. Maybe when our son is older and somebody comes up with an awesome technology, he's more than welcome to go for it himself :)

What do you think of the 120 channel technology, Boult? If I understand the technology right, you'd have to replace the device if you want that technology?

Fragmenter said:
Hmmmm...

We chose the Freedom because it's common and we have not heard anybody say anything bad about it on the internet or in person. So far, I only know of three people who has an AB.

And, what's more, we feel reassured with the Freedom's soft-tip electrode insert. The 120 channel technology advance by AB sounds truly innovative and exciting but we're gonna stick to our guns and bet on Freedom's software engineers to do their job LOL. Maybe when our son is older and somebody comes up with an awesome technology, he's more than welcome to go for it himself :)

What do you think of the 120 channel technology, Boult? If I understand the technology right, you'd have to replace the device if you want that technology?
yeah, just the new bte processor and my implant is left intact.

I belong to a list that cater to AB users, most of them are in trials. they says when they finish their trials and have to go back to Auria HiRes w/HiResolution programming, they miss the 120 and the new BTE (I know the name but can't reveal)which has lighter rechargeable batter that last longer than the current for Auria BTE (currently slim last 9 hrs Plus last 18 hrs)

I also have a body worn processor which I don't have to replace but replace the software with that new 120 programming. Can't wait!

Fragmenter,

Is greema your mother? for real?

Boult said:
yeah, just the new bte processor and my implant is left intact.

Can't wait!

;) If AB can do it, then Cochlear can do it down the road! I read somewhere they're only using 5 to 10 % of their implant hardware right now.

I'm looking forward to your experiences with the new processor!

Fragmenter said:
;) If AB can do it, then Cochlear can do it down the road! I read somewhere they're only using 5 to 10 % of their implant hardware right now.

I'm looking forward to your experiences with the new processor!
Yeah, same here, the implant is underutilized so about 10% is used and lots of room for future processors.

Thanks, I'll be glad to share...

Boult said:
Yeah, same here, the implant is underutilized so about 10% is used and lots of room for future processors.

Thanks, I'll be glad to share...

Awesome! Good luck, man!

Fragmenter said:
For real. What, you thought we were playing? :)
LOL no, I was just curious, I'm surprised to see someone's mom is on a message board. I wouldn't want my dad here. :Ohno:

Back