which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
to Frankiesmom, you are making the right choice for you son! and I am very glad that you are able to sit back and watch and even laugh at the people who, in my opinion, realize that they have made mistakes, but don't want to admit it... so they try to put down everyone who hasn't made that same decision. Not implanting your son is the best decision you can make for HIM, especially with the other delays he has, a surgery at his age is not good for him. Keep up the good work, and keep being a GREAT mom! if later on he asks for a CI, then it can happen, but right now, and with his level of loss, HA's should be more than sufficient.

Growing up I had HA's, still have them actually... but I was also told there was something wrong with me because of me being HoH, I can tell you won't tell your son that. You will help him be a strong and confident boy and man, You love him unconditionally... and THAT is what a mother should do! Good luck on learning ASL and becoming a part of a great and thriving Deaf community!

i mentioned in my other thread that we found out today that our baby has severe hearing loss in both ears. i spoke to the audiologist that will be fitting him for hearing aids today, and she said that they will try the hearing aids for 90 days and if those aren't helping, they want to go ahead with the cochlear implants. my husband has reservations about the implants and wants to wait until he is old enough to decide, and i honestly have no idea what is best. i was surprised because the lady who did his sedated abr said that he had to have profound hearing loss for the implants, but i guess that wasn't so.
thanks!

Studies show that the earlier a child in implanted the greater the success rate but that does not mean all are 100%. Those of us with CI's that got them later in life can tell you that things/sounds do not sound like they did with "normal" hearing and I for one can not even remember what Normal is. Just think of one thing, when you are born, and you hear, the noise means nothing to you. You learn the sounds and their meaning as time goes on. A child with CI learns to associate the same way.I for one can not say that a high "C" sounds the same to everyone and frankly I kind of doubt that they do, but it has meaning to every hearing person whether normal or CI or HA. If you look at it from that perspective you can see where early implant could be a distinct advantage as the child connect with the sounds as he interprets them or hears them. Those of us that lost hearing over a long time have many different attachments to sound and how we deal with it. For myself with CI's on both sides, it is a continual learning curve and for me at my age, slow but I do see progress and would have it no other way. I do some things that I just could not do w/o hearing. I realize I don't have to do some of the things but I enjoy so?
D

Studies show that the earlier a child in implanted the greater the success rate but that does not mean all are 100%. Those of us with CI's that got them later in life can tell you that things/sounds do not sound like they did with "normal" hearing and I for one can not even remember what Normal is. Just think of one thing, when you are born, and you hear, the noise means nothing to you. You learn the sounds and their meaning as time goes on. A child with CI learns to associate the same way.I for one can not say that a high "C" sounds the same to everyone and frankly I kind of doubt that they do, but it has meaning to every hearing person whether normal or CI or HA. If you look at it from that perspective you can see where early implant could be a distinct advantage as the child connect with the sounds as he interprets them or hears them. Those of us that lost hearing over a long time have many different attachments to sound and how we deal with it. For myself with CI's on both sides, it is a continual learning curve and for me at my age, slow but I do see progress and would have it no other way. I do some things that I just could not do w/o hearing. I realize I don't have to do some of the things but I enjoy so?
D
do things that arent possible being deaf, such as?

do things that aren't possible being deaf, such as?

I knew that would come up. I would definitely not want to be in the air when a deaf person is flying a light aircraft. Maybe if they always had someone with them that could hear and understand the radio but otherwise no way. How about a job I once held, control tower operator, again I doubt seriously that a deaf person could hold that job. How about traffic cop? standing in middle of intersection relying on eyes only? The list goes on but does not mean that if one is deaf they can not do many things, just limited to some. D

I knew that would come up. I would definitely not want to be in the air when a deaf person is flying a light aircraft. Maybe if they always had someone with them that could hear and understand the radio but otherwise no way. How about a job I once held, control tower operator, again I doubt seriously that a deaf person could hold that job. How about traffic cop? standing in middle of intersection relying on eyes only? The list goes on but does not mean that if one is deaf they can not do many things, just limited to some. D

I've flown a plane with another Deaf pilot before.

I've actually directed traffic before. Not hard at all.

Control Tower - Obviously, since this is a world full of hearies.

Seriously, pitiful list.

I knew that would come up. I would definitely not want to be in the air when a deaf person is flying a light aircraft. Maybe if they always had someone with them that could hear and understand the radio but otherwise no way.
You don't really need to be able to hear/talk to fly a light aircraft. Many many many airports do not have control towers aka "uncontrolled airports". and many small planes do not have communication equipments.

If you really depend on radio communication to fly light aircraft safely, then you shouldn't be flying. You should know that flight training program covers this subject. Seeing is your primary collision avoidance system. Flying emphasizes on visual than hearing.

Flying at uncontrolled airport is no different from driving at Four-Way Stops.

How about a job I once held, control tower operator, again I doubt seriously that a deaf person could hold that job. How about traffic cop? standing in middle of intersection relying on eyes only? The list goes on but does not mean that if one is deaf they can not do many things, just limited to some. D
sounds like you prefer to be blind than deaf??? :dunno2:

i mentioned in my other thread that we found out today that our baby has severe hearing loss in both ears. i spoke to the audiologist that will be fitting him for hearing aids today, and she said that they will try the hearing aids for 90 days and if those arent helping, they want to go ahead with the cochlear implants. my husband has reservations about the implants and wants to wait until he is old enough to decide, and i honestly have no idea what is best. i was surprised because the lady who did his sedated abr said that he had to have profound hearing loss for the implants, but i guess that wasnt so.
thanks!

My best opinion; Have him wait until he's older at maybe like the age of 7 or 8 years old and ask him if he wants a cochlear implant. I mean My parents didn't get me a cochlear implant until they waited until i was old enough to make a decision. My parents explained to me what a Cochlear Implant was when i was about 8 years old and they asked me if i wanted one for my left side because my hearing aid wasn't helping my left side very much. So, before you actually try and consider a cochlear implant, Let your son wear the hearing aids. Let him learn ASL, Let him be a kid of who he wants to be and then consider those choices when he gets older. I mean think about what your child wants first. Does he wants a cochlear implant? or do YOU want him to have a cochlear implant. It's his body. And let him make friends with both worlds, the deaf world and the hearing world. I don't regret having a cochlear implant. It's an amazing device. Hearing aids are too. So, Try out the hearing aids for awhile until he gets older then discuss with your son if he wants a cochlear implant. It might be the best thing to do.

My best opinion; Have him wait until he's older at maybe like the age of 7 or 8 years old and ask him if he wants a cochlear implant. I mean My parents didn't get me a cochlear implant until they waited until i was old enough to make a decision. My parents explained to me what a Cochlear Implant was when i was about 8 years old and they asked me if i wanted one for my left side because my hearing aid wasn't helping my left side very much. So, before you actually try and consider a cochlear implant, Let your son wear the hearing aids. Let him learn ASL, Let him be a kid of who he wants to be and then consider those choices when he gets older. I mean think about what your child wants first. Does he wants a cochlear implant? or do YOU want him to have a cochlear implant. It's his body. And let him make friends with both worlds, the deaf world and the hearing world. I don't regret having a cochlear implant. It's an amazing device. Hearing aids are too. So, Try out the hearing aids for awhile until he gets older then discuss with your son if he wants a cochlear implant. It might be the best thing to do.

my mom did that, back in the late 80's. I said no. It was never discussed again. I thank her for that.

my mom did that, back in the late 80's. I said no. It was never discussed again. I thank her for that.

Thats good for you :) Not all deaf people likes the CI's and I'm not like one of those drama types where they overreact about the CI's its only a matter of fact if they like it or not. case closed.

Six people against one. Take your pick.

Make that 7

I used to think you were an onto bibi superstar but going by your blog your jerk whos been sold a flasher package you are an oral sheeple

yes miss kat enjoys using spoken language as her main communication mode but is every kid with ci/s going to(even with early implementation)NO!!!!

Wirelessly posted

nope, just straight to the point.

with a severe loss it is very unlikely that a child would have access to enough of spoken language with hearing aids to develop the ability to understand spoken language through listening.

if that is not of value, then absolutely do NOT implant. There are plenty of people who don't value that at all. I happen to, but who cares! A person can have a wonderful, successful life without it.

asl and written english can (and do) provide the ability to read and write and communicate. There are tons of Deaf people who are successful every day with those tools.

but again, no action is a choice. Waiting is a decision. That is the truth. And there is nothing wrong with saying that

Oh really? How do you know? I know tons of kids who are functionally hoh with hearing aids who have severe/severe-profound and even PROFOUND losses!!!!!! Every kid is different with how they respond to hearing technology.
God, back in the 80's there were still lots of kids at Clarke/DePaul/CID/St. Joseph's/ other oral programs..........and they were SUCESSFUL?!?!?! Sucessful aqustiion of oral skills did not begin and end with CIs!

Wirelessly posted

he would be missing out on th ability to hear and understand the spoken language of others.

but if that is not of value to you, more power to you. But know, you ARE making that choice.

FJ, I know many deaf people who enjoys just hearing silence. And everybody has a choice. He wouldn't be missing out on anything. he has sign language--the facial expressions, the communication between the group. At night i don't care for sound, i like the silence. Hell i'll even go a week, or even longer than that without sound. I can feel the vibrations with the drumset and the band playing. Cochlear implants are a choice. It doesn't matter if they should get one or not. You're not her son's mom. And I mean, I enjoy hearing. But Cochlear implants are not miracle workers. Cochlear implants are amazing devices that stimulates the sounds. Hearing aids are different. They're like cochlear implants, but it doesn't involve surgery. So really think about that.

Wirelessly posted

nope, just straight to the point.

with a severe loss it is very unlikely that a child would have access to enough of spoken language with hearing aids to develop the ability to understand spoken language through listening.

if that is not of value, then absolutely do NOT implant. There are plenty of people who don't value that at all. I happen to, but who cares! A person can have a wonderful, successful life without it.

asl and written english can (and do) provide the ability to read and write and communicate. There are tons of Deaf people who are successful every day with those tools.

but again, no action is a choice. Waiting is a decision. That is the truth. And there is nothing wrong with saying that

I lost my hearing due to autoimmune hearing loss at the age of 3. I have severe hearing loss. And I have 2 cochlear implants. I lost about the remaining 50% left of my hearing in my right side due to being in winter drumline and i had a hearing aid at the time in that ear and I decided to get another cochlear implant and it's working perfectly fine with me. I both talk and sign at the same time. Don't worry about what other people are doing, worry about yourself.

Wirelessly posted

that shows just how much you don't know about my situation. My daughter was born hearing and slowly lost her hearing. She expressed to us that she did miss hearing.

I slowly lost my hearing too, everybody here on alldeaf has. And we all accept from it and we move on from it. How old is she? Maybe when she grows up she will eventually accept it and move on. I'm not afraid to be deaf at all. And i mean we're overreacting over what we said over a cochlear implant. What done is done. case closed.

Six people against one. Take your pick.

Make that 7

I used to think you were an onto bibi superstar but going by your blog your jerk whos been sold a flasher package you are an oral sheeple

yes miss kat enjoys using spoken language as her main communication mode but is every kid with ci/s going to(even with early implementation)NO!!!!

Make that 8 (and, btw, I'm hearing. The audist attitudes by some on here nauseate me.)

FJ, I know many deaf people who enjoys just hearing silence. And everybody has a choice. He wouldn't be missing out on anything. he has sign language--the facial expressions, the communication between the group. At night i don't care for sound, i like the silence. Hell i'll even go a week, or even longer than that without sound. I can feel the vibrations with the drumset and the band playing. Cochlear implants are a choice. It doesn't matter if they should get one or not. You're not her son's mom. And I mean, I enjoy hearing. But Cochlear implants are not miracle workers. Cochlear implants are amazing devices that stimulates the sounds. Hearing aids are different. They're like cochlear implants, but it doesn't involve surgery. So really think about that.

. How old is she? Maybe when she grows up she will eventually accept it and move on. I'm not afraid to be deaf at all. And i mean we're overreacting over what we said over a cochlear implant. What done is done. case closed.
faire joure, I think that you keep assuming that ALL Deaf Schools/.programs are like the one in Utah. You don't get it. She wants speech therapy for her son. Her son will grow up the way jillo's son did, or the way a kid attending Kansas School or Oregon School did! It's not an either or choice. Many dhh kids can develop oral abilty even if they use ASL, and go to a school for the deaf!

faire joure, I think that you keep assuming that ALL Deaf Schools/.programs are like the one in Utah. You don't get it. She wants speech therapy for her son. Her son will grow up the way jillo's son did, or the way a kid attending Kansas School or Oregon School did! It's not an either or choice. Many dhh kids can develop oral abilty even if they use ASL, and go to a school for the deaf!

??

Coolgirl,the root cause of faire joure's rants against Deaf Schools have to do with the fact that the speech therapy at her daughter's bi bi program was REALLY bad. She does not understand that there are a plethora of schools out there that have accomodnated themselves to the CI, and offer hoh style services to CI and hoh kids.

Coolgirl,the root cause of faire joure's rants against Deaf Schools have to do with the fact that the speech therapy at her daughter's bi bi program was REALLY bad. She does not understand that there are a plethora of schools out there that have accomodnated themselves to the CI, and offer hoh style services to CI and hoh kids.

Ahh okay thanks for clearing that up for me. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back