Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it still apply to LWOP. But the term issue they are using AWOL,

check this.
http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...-guidance/guidance-for-shutdown-furloughs.pdf

Look up at F and number Two.

For example, my 4-weeks vacation with my family in Hawaii started on Sept 26th and it ends on Oct 18th. Suppose, the vacation costs $5,000 which is non-refundable. During shutdown, must I cancel it and fly back from Hawaii to report to work if they need me, otherwise I get AWOL? If so, that's not right.

Yeah, you are right about paid time off, even holiday pay not covered during that period. Sad!

What if the employee is on vacation in Europe? Required to cancel it and report to work immediately? I don't think so.

Moms can't take maternity leave during shutdown? That's ****ing wrong.

If you're on vacation out the country and can't make it into work the first day the government shut down, you won't work when you return home. If you're on maternity leave and the government shuts down, you have to go back in or you're not paid when everything is resolved. If you're sick during a shut down - and stay home, you won't be allowed back into the building. During a shut down, you must appear to work every day or you don't get paid when it's resolved. Technically those that were sent home should receive back pay but many people think federal employees are rich and don't deserve to be paid, so there's a risk employees may not get back pay when it opens again. This is why it's so important for employees to know if they're mission critical. If they're not, they get sent home when the government shuts down.

This isn't a happy time for anyone, including those in the general public that require our services and now have no assistance.

For example, my 4-weeks vacation with my family in Hawaii started on Sept 26th and it ends on Oct 18th. Suppose, the vacation costs $5,000 which is non-refundable. During shutdown, must I cancel it and fly back from Hawaii to report to work if they need me, otherwise I get AWOL? If so, that's not right.

Yeah, you are right about paid time off, even holiday pay not covered during that period. Sad!

My former coworker is in just that situation. She opted to willing go on furlough status. At one point, there was a question if she would be AWOL. In the end, they needed to clear her through headquarters and decided that she could go on non work status - by choice, so she did because had been planning the trip for a year and I assume there was considerable money involved.

If you're mission critical and they call you back, yes, you need to return to work or you risk AWOL. If you decide you want to continue with the vacation, your headquater's management and your agency's management, will need to approve you going into non work status by choice. I'm not sure if you can call in to work to request this, or via email, I believe you need to report to work in person, and make a formal request to go on furlough. It's a mess, I know..... If I were you, I'd sit down with your supervisor now and discuss your options if the government doesn't re-open before then.

National parks are closed.
Amber Alert is shut down.
Some national cemeteries are closed. (re: Normandy)
National monuments and memorials are closed.

I was at the cable company today. While waiting in line, I heard the customer ahead of me tell the clerk that she was returning her cable box and discontinuing her service because her husband was furloughed. She said, "I have to tell me children 'no' to everything now--d**n Obama!"

:shock:

It seemed that several people in the line were there for the same reason. I saw several people with their boxes and remotes. (I was there for a different reason.)

My former coworker is in just that situation. She opted to willing go on furlough status. At one point, there was a question if she would be AWOL. In the end, they needed to clear her through headquarters and decided that she could go on non work status - by choice, so she did because had been planning the trip for a year and I assume there was considerable money involved.

If you're mission critical and they call you back, yes, you need to return to work or you risk AWOL. If you decide you want to continue with the vacation, your headquater's management and your agency's management, will need to approve you going into non work status by choice. I'm not sure if you can call in to work to request this, or via email, I believe you need to report to work in person, and make a formal request to go on furlough. It's a mess, I know..... If I were you, I'd sit down with your supervisor now and discuss your options if the government doesn't re-open before then.
No, I was giving an example. I can imagine that many fed employees all over USA took a vacation before it happened. I feel sorry for them. I am an USPS employee so the shutdown has no effect on me.

If you subscribe to Directv so you can't cancel the service until two years contract expire, but they could temporarily suspend the service for good reason, such as job loss.

National parks are closed.
Some national cemeteries are closed. (re: Normandy)
National monuments and memorials are closed.

I was at the cable company today. While waiting in line, I heard the customer ahead of me tell the clerk that she was returning her cable box and discontinuing her service because her husband was furloughed. She said, "I have to tell me children 'no' to everything now--d**n Obama!"

:shock:

It seemed that several people in the line were there for the same reason. I saw several people with their boxes and remotes. (I was there for a different reason.)
OMG, that's messed up. At the same time, businesses lose customers that can lead to temp lay-off for their employees.

Amber Alert should never be shut down. Anything relating to children should remain up and running. This is really terrible - let's hope children are safe while this mess is going on in Washington.

I agreeeeeeee...........

Attachments

• 1382896_240534806100102_152291476_n.jpg
    1382896_240534806100102_152291476_n.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 12
Re: Amber Alert

Tell Your Friends: Shutdown Doesn

The Department of Justice had shut down its national website, but local alerts were unaffected.
Posted by Catherine Crawford , October 07, 2013 at 12:27 PM

This section is supported by our sponsor.

f8e6dd62804d9cec880ace3de265ea28

We are now entering week two of the government shutdown, and Americans keep learning about parts of the government they don’t want to live without. You may have seen your Facebook feed light up with assertions that Amber Alerts weren’t working. This isn’t true.

It is true that, until 11 AM Monday, AmberAlerts.gov was among the Department of Justice websites shut down. But Amber Alerts are run locally. Even if one had occurred early Monday morning, you would have seen the usual alerts on your phones and television.

There is no evidence that the federal shutdown stopped, or will stop, local jurisdictions from broadcasting information about missing children.

Most websites run by the Department of Justice continue to be offline, but AmberAlert.gov is live for the foreseeable future. "The amber alert system was never interrupted, but to eliminate any confusion, the informational site maintained by the Justice Department has been restored," a DOJ spokesperson said.

If you attempted to go to AmberAlert.gov earlier today when it was down, you may now have trouble accessing the cite because of a caching issue. Try again in another browser.

Do you think the shutdown is hurting us locally? Tell us why or why not in a comment or a blog post. If you want to contact your representative about the shutdown, you can do so at this website.

What do you think of this idea?

Attachments

• DeclareUSBorderNationalPark100613.jpg
    DeclareUSBorderNationalPark100613.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 14
I'm surprised about Amber Alert being shut down, putting more risks in children's safety. Hopefully the government can reopen soon and things to be back to normal.

It was shut down, until republicans made note that a website supported by Michelle Obama "let's Move" was staying open - so .... they got it back up.

AMBER Alert Website Goes Offline Amid Government Shutdown, Michelle Obama

The website is shut down, not Amber Alerts, you still would have gotten alerts on your phone, news etc etc, just the website, only the website is shut down. Really stein you should actually read stuff.......and not believe everything you see on Facebook. Or in your chain emails but I realize you are particularly vulnerable to conspiracy theories and such.

The blaze really??? Becks website?? That man has admitted to not fact checking, telling Barbara Walters that he is not journalist, he dies not have to. The first thing you need to understand about that man is he is an entertainer. He is only interested in money, scandals make money, so the more scandalous, manufactured crap btw, the better. Oh it's so sad how many people are duped by that man.

Oh sorry Frisky I got distracted for second and forgot your thread was about managing finances during the shut down if you work for the Feds. Shutting up and going back to my corner now :D

The website is shut down, not Amber Alerts, you still would have gotten alerts on your phone, news etc etc, just the website, only the website is shut down. Really stein you should actually read stuff.......and not believe everything you see on Facebook. Or in your chain emails but I realize you are particularly vulnerable to conspiracy theories and such.

The blaze really??? Becks website?? That man has admitted to not fact checking, telling Barbara Walters that he is not journalist, he dies not have to. The first thing you need to understand about that man is he is an entertainer. He is only interested in money, scandals make money, so the more scandalous, manufactured crap btw, the better. Oh it's so sad how many people are duped by that man.

Oh sorry Frisky I got distracted for second and forgot your thread was about managing finances during the shut down if you work for the Feds. Shutting up and going back to my corner now :D

Oh, I see. All I saw you say was "blah, blah, blah, evil republicans, blah, blah, blah, stupid GOP, blah, blah, blah, it's Bush's fault, blah, blah, blah."

You might try that "reading" thing you keep talking about. I was commenting on a post.

See how that was sprung on you? :)

http://thelead.blogs.cnn.com/2013/1...artment-restores-federal-amber-alert-website/

I said not one word about republicans.

Whu??? I gave the CNN link that pretty much backs up everything that :crazy: republican Beck owned website said. :giggle:

I wonder what will happen if I put up a Fox link? Will she start fanning herself furiously and claim she has the vapors?

Whu??? I gave the CNN link that pretty much backs up everything that :crazy: republican Beck owned website said. :giggle:

I wonder what will happen if I put up a Fox link? Will she start fanning herself furiously and claim she has the vapors?

Follow the bouncing ball, I made disparaging comments about Beck, an entertainer, not republicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back