Ntid

NTID in the old days...

I remember a long time ago when someone announced NTID would open and it was around 1968...even tho the concept of NTID was started in late 1930's - believe it or not. It took that long time to get through the legislative system at federal level to enact it into law. Then it was started... I was there from 1974 to 1977. I would say it was good years for me as it was learning experience for me. It was best of two worlds - hearing and deaf together. It was interesting time. I took tests during six weeks at SVP and then went there for three years majoring in Business Technology. Rochester was unique town.

It is up to each individual to make it success at NTID/RIT. You can do it so go for it!

:cheers:

Congrats RJR, ;)

Hey Deaf Image,

The best of two worlds - hearing and deaf together as I agree with you. I had a real wonderful time to mingle with Training Interpreters. That is how they learned ASL very well. Now it s so sad that interpreter is not allowed to mingle with students anymore. I think it s stupid to have the rules as far as I know they didnt have to listen to the rules. I dont blame them because they want to get ASL skills to become a better interpreter. So therefore they have a true Deaf heart as I can see very much.

Today's I have met them again that was so good to see them again.. Their ASL is still good and much improved. I told them congrats to be with us in Deaf community. ;)

Thanks! ;)
Sweetmind

Deaf Images said:
I remember a long time ago when someone announced NTID would open and it was around 1968...even tho the concept of NTID was started in late 1930's - believe it or not. It took that long time to get through the legislative system at federal level to enact it into law. Then it was started... I was there from 1974 to 1977. I would say it was good years for me as it was learning experience for me. It was best of two worlds - hearing and deaf together. It was interesting time. I took tests during six weeks at SVP and then went there for three years majoring in Business Technology. Rochester was unique town.

It is up to each individual to make it success at NTID/RIT. You can do it so go for it!

Actually, it was in 1964 not 1930.

Yes, before RIT accepted NTID as one of their many colleges. There were other prime locations that they had to go thru selection and elimination processes. Rochester was one of the last final 5 locations and NAB picked RIT (as mentioned in timeline) Right now I only recall Florida was one of them.

NTID timeline: https://www2.rit.edu/175/timelineNTID.html

I have been very busy and didn't have time to look at this topic. Anyways, I am going to Northwestern CT Community College to take two courses (English and math) and one interpreter from NWCC told me that I am too smart for NWCC. NWCC serves D/HH students who read and write at 3rd grade level and that I took placement testing at NWCC, and deaf people were very amazed in my writing skills. I chose NWCC for a year because they will be evaluating my abilities and needs so that the disability coordinator will communicate with NTID about my disabilities before transferring to NTID.

Congratulation. Be prepared for the winter. My experience there nothing campare to my home. Just about the same. :D But I did enjoy at NTID/RIT. I went in 1982 and graduated there in 1984. :D

Hey, What is act code for NTID? I need NTID act code.

I think that the ACT stands for Applied Computer Technology. Is that what you wanted to know?

I hope that the ACT has greatly improved than 10 years ago. At that time, it was not perfect program because a lot of things change every two years.

webexplorer said:
I think that the ACT stands for Applied Computer Technology. Is that what you wanted to know?

I hope that the ACT has greatly improved than 10 years ago. At that time, it was not perfect program because a lot of things change every two years.

lol no, that not. ACT for test.

it should be on the ACT site..NTID is a school of RIT..so browse for RIT n there should be the code for that school..hoped i helped.. :D

Deaf Images said:

Hey .... I was there from 1975 to 1978. Smile! Yes, it was good years!

Deaf Images said:

Yes, I really enjoyed at NTID!!! SVP was for only 4 weeks - not 6 weeks. (The weather in Rochester, NY during the winter time is terrible!! hahaha)

rjr2006 said:
Guess what? I GOT ACCEPTED BY NTID!]' However, I am going to start with community college for a year. I AM VERY HAPPY!

Congratulations!!!!! You will enjoy there. I really like two world (deaf and hearing worlds).

SVP 83 ROCKS and trumps all others SVP!
550 SVPers! highest nbrs of false alarms. meaning xmas lights almost every weeks. eh.. etc etc..

one thing that is amazing is that first day of SVP, we don't know each others then same night first party announcement leaked.. that party was blast.

oh boy lots of memories!

Boult said:
SVP 83 ROCKS and trumps all others SVP!
550 SVPers! highest nbrs of false alarms. meaning xmas lights almost every weeks. eh.. etc etc..

one thing that is amazing is that first day of SVP, we don't know each others then same night first party announcement leaked.. that party was blast.

oh boy lots of memories!

Yes! I had so much fun in 1983!

DoVip said:
Hey, What is act code for NTID? I need NTID act code.
if you are planning to take ACT, NTID's ACT Score ranges are 13-18

I got 15

wow..an ACT score of a 15?? that's equivalent of a total SAT score of 740..and i thought my ACT score was bad..a 25 which is a 1140 SAT score..at least NTID understands why deafies have such low ACT/SAT scores..cuz we can't hear causing our verbal scores to be low..at least the college i'm at understands my situation..thankfully.. :)

Boult said:
Actually, it was in 1964 not 1930.

Yes, before RIT accepted NTID as one of their many colleges. There were other prime locations that they had to go thru selection and elimination processes. Rochester was one of the last final 5 locations and NAB picked RIT (as mentioned in timeline) Right now I only recall Florida was one of them.

NTID timeline: https://www2.rit.edu/175/timelineNTID.html

There was actually orginally 7 schools chosen to be possible locations for NTID. After NAB meetings in the summer of 1966 they removed 3 of schools leaving behind:

Rochester Institute of Technology
University of Pittsburg
University of Illinois
University of Tennessee

These schools were all visited and eventually RIT was chosen despite its apparent lack of deaf culture. Many of the other schools fell behind due to the lack the land to build and support such a program. RIT had a great advantage as it had just moved to its current 1,300 acre location in South Henrietta from the small downtown Rochester campus which it previously had been using. RIT was chosen in a secret ballot vote in which it won 9 of the 14 votes. It was chosen due to its vast technical background and also because as far back as 1847 the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute (which later would become RIT) had been educating deaf students manual trade skills.

I actually wrote a research paper on the developement of NTID for my deaf history class at RIT so I thought I would add my little knowledge to the group. I also do want to note that you said a school in Florida was to be one of the schools and as far as I can remember a Florida school was one of the 3 schools that was removed during that meeting in 1966. I can't remember which school it was exactly or what the reasoning for its removal was but I will say that there was a school in Florida that was considered. :)

NFGTragedy said:
There was actually orginally 7 schools chosen to be possible locations for NTID. After NAB meetings in the summer of 1966 they removed 3 of schools leaving behind:

Rochester Institute of Technology
University of Pittsburg
University of Illinois
University of Tennessee

These schools were all visited and eventually RIT was chosen despite its apparent lack of deaf culture. Many of the other schools fell behind due to the lack the land to build and support such a program. RIT had a great advantage as it had just moved to its current 1,300 acre location in South Henrietta from the small downtown Rochester campus which it previously had been using. RIT was chosen in a secret ballot vote in which it won 9 of the 14 votes. It was chosen due to its vast technical background and also because as far back as 1847 the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute (which later would become RIT) had been educating deaf students manual trade skills.

I actually wrote a research paper on the developement of NTID for my deaf history class at RIT so I thought I would add my little knowledge to the group. I also do want to note that you said a school in Florida was to be one of the schools and as far as I can remember a Florida school was one of the 3 schools that was removed during that meeting in 1966. I can't remember which school it was exactly or what the reasoning for its removal was but I will say that there was a school in Florida that was considered. :)
Thank you very much for backing that up! I knew it because, while I was in NTID, it was brought up in a discussions among my friends. I am in same boat as you about which and where in Florida. But this name somewhat sticking out in the ground that it might be "Florida Institute of Technology". So would that ring a bell for you?.
And a location somewhat is jabbing in my brain is "Miami" but I am not able to associate this two to NTID development discussion I had back in NTID. *shrug*

Yup, they just changed the name, no more "ACT" and I can't remember the new name, it is more prestigous one. Better than "ACT".

webexplorer said:

Back