Ntid

rjr2006 said:
Diploma at NTID? I am thinking of AAS in graphics then transfer to RIT or UConn.

My cousin got her doctoral degree in Pharmacy from UConn, and my other cousin is about to do the same. They tell me it's a good school.

my speech is OK, but sometimes people say that they don't understand what I am saying and others say that my speech has improved significantly since elementary school. my family wants to see me go to ntid and enjoy studying computers (IT) and at the same time I want to improve my speech.

Endymion said:
My cousin got her doctoral degree in Pharmacy from UConn, and my other cousin is about to do the same. They tell me it's a good school.
yes btw are they deaf too?

rjr2006 said:
yes btw are they deaf too?

Nope. They're hearing. I do have a related family member who's deaf and he wants to go into pharmaceutical law.

I am surrounded by pharmacy nuts. Someone save me!

Endymion said:
Nope. They're hearing. I do have a related family member who's deaf and he wants to go into pharmaceutical law.

ha, sigh.. it is even harder for dhh to get good degree and good jobs. I think that ntid will be able to help me follow employment path.

Endymion said:
Nope. They're hearing. My brother is deaf, though, and he wants to go into pharmaceutical law.

Endymion, I understand I can recommend something that will make you feel better.

:rofl: Here take 200 mg of this and 125 mg of that then this one is 75 mg and the yellow one is 300 mg... the orange one is 55 mg and you are going huh yeah? Will that make me better ? ( nods head in a doctor's manner ) then the blue one is 500 mg right... okay take them 2x daily. You go ok ok ok Thank you doctor, sir....then you go home Hey I want no more pills, no thanks man :rofl:

Heath said:
Endymion, I understand I can recommend something that will make you feel better.

:rofl: Here take 200 mg of this and 125 mg of that then this one is 75 mg and the yellow one is 300 mg... the orange one is 55 mg and you are going huh yeah? Will this make me better ? ( nods head in a doctor's manner ) then the blue one is 500 mg right... okay take them 2x daily. You go ok ok ok Thank you doctor, sir....then you go home Hey I want no more pills, no thanks man :rofl:

ROFL

Here's a nice bottle of Hydrochloric Acid. Drink two liters before bed. If you can barely even sleep, that's normal. It means the HCl is working.

Let's revise the famous saying:

"A bottle of Hydrochloric Acid a day keeps the doctor away." ;)

What is Hydrochloric acid? It seems like it has to do with a chemical that is used in industrial waste? I am stratching my head. Maybe that is not it?

What is Hydrochloric acid please?

Endymion, you must be thinking of Magnesium Citrate saline solution ? Am I right? That is 1.745 gms. per fl. oz. That is all it takes to clean the stomach out.

That is some pretty strong stuff to be drinking a bottle of Magnesium Citrate.

This is hospital grade stuff. :) :thumb:

rjr2006 said:
my speech is OK, but sometimes people say that they don't understand what I am saying and others say that my speech has improved significantly since elementary school. my family wants to see me go to ntid and enjoy studying computers (IT) and at the same time I want to improve my speech.

You could say to them - woof woof. ha ha ha

IT is only for RIT. But, NTID has ACT which offers computer programming and computer operator. I am not sure if ACT has the similar as IT. Maybe, they changed the name from ACT to IT. You should find out. To become a programming is not really fun especially long hours. I studied COBAL for a long time, and most companies expired COBAL a couple of years ago. At that time, RIT does not offer COBAL - I didn't know that. Many of us as programmers felt suck about it because we studied for nothing. (ACT = Applied Computer Technology)

Most companies always change new software every four to five years which means that the employees are forced to study new program from scatch. That's why they make so much money, but they don't enjoy it especially some employees hate their boss when the boss order them to update the information at the last minutes or make them to change a major program.
I know a deaf guy who works at a company as an operater, his boss is nice, but a lot of stress and he wears glasses. I bet that he has some gray hairs by now. It is more important to stay healthy and happy... and love a job something like that. Isn't that right?

If you love to make programs or know how to program, that's good. It is more important that you know how to use C or C+ if you want to start your own business. Without C / C++, it's no good, and too late. It is best way for the young kids who know how to use C++ - like 12 to 14 years old. I am kinda sure that NTID does not offer C/C++ class. (I don't know why.)

Endymion said:
"A bottle of Hydrochloric Acid a day keeps the doctor away." ;)

Or "Johnny was a chemist. Now Johnny is no more. For what he thought was H2O was H2SO4." ;)

Heath said:
What is Hydrochloric acid?

Hydrochloric acid (HCl) is an extremely powerful acid (when concentrated). That probably doesn't mean much to you if you don't have a chemistry background, but suffice to say, the acid in your stomach is concentrated HCl.

webexplorer said:
IT is only for RIT. But, NTID has ACT which offers computer programming and computer operator. I am not sure if ACT has the similar as IT. Maybe, they changed the name from ACT to IT. You should find out. To become a programming is not really fun especially long hours. I studied COBAL for a long time, and most companies expired COBAL a couple of years ago. At that time, RIT does not offer COBAL - I didn't know that. Many of us as programmers felt suck about it because we studied for nothing. (ACT = Applied Computer Technology)

I know nothing about the ACT program, but either way, most of the dhh students here (with the exception of those like me that aren't eligible) are cross-registered... IE, they're receiving educational support and interpreting services (if needed) from NTID, but they're actually a student of one of RIT's other college (ie college of computing/information sciences, college of business, college of imaging arts and sciences, college of engineering, etc.).

The reason for this is simply a practical one--NTID doesn't offer any BS or MS degrees besides ASL-English Interpreting, and an AAS from a college no one has ever heard of (ie NTID) doesn't look so hot on a resume, whereas a BS from RIT has siginifcant value and name-recognition.

As for COBOL... COBOL is still used a lot in some environments. It's not having the resurgence that, say, Lisp is having, but it's still used sometimes. It's not a dead language (like, say, B).

webexplorer said:
I am kinda sure that NTID does not offer C/C++ class. (I don't know why.)

I have no idea about NTID's computer programs, but the RIT computer programs (ie IT, CS, NSSA and SE) teach Java first. IT then goes into Bash, Awk, Perl, and a few other scripting languages whereas CS and SE go into C/C++. It's not great (I'd say C should be first, followed by C++ and THEN Java), but it's still a lot better than it used to be (they used to use Eiffel, ick).

Teresh said:
Or "Johnny was a chemist. Now Johnny is no more. For what he thought was H2O was H2SO4." ;)

Johnny was smart. Yes, very true!
He'd do equations until his face was blue.
Then he met HCl, HBr, and HI too.
Now his brain cells are all but a few.

(Psst. That's the reason behind my theory that all Chemists are named Dave. They're smart enough not to drink anything aqueous, unlike the Johnnies. ;))

Hydrochloric acid (HCl) is an extremely powerful acid (when concentrated). That probably doesn't mean much to you if you don't have a chemistry background, but suffice to say, the acid in your stomach is concentrated HCl.

Bases also hurt even more than acids. Hmm. I'm tempted to come up with a NaOH limerick.

webexplorer said:
It is more important that you know how to use C or C+ if you want to start your own business.

I think you had great points in other parts of your post! I think I disagree with the above though. The key to business is not computer programming. In fact, it's not accounting. It's not finance. It's not marketing. It's a combination of everything.

For example, if you start up a car washing business and you set up ten franchises in a state, you're doing well. You don't need to know what a header file is for car washing, and you don't even need to think about typing #!/usr/bin/perl. You do want to be able to know how to use a spreadsheet and you probably want to be able to check e-mails from customers, but that's it.

Generally, executive management of business requires a general understanding of computers, accounting, finance, economics, marketing, systems analysis and design, business law and a few other areas. You do not need to be an expert in all of them, and any deficiencies you have you can quickly resolve by hiring an outside consultant (and you can easily afford this if you're a good businessperson) or have someone on your staff handle it.

Endymion said:
You don't need to know what a header file is for car washing, and you don't even need to think about typing #!/usr/bin/perl.
Is there a shebang smiley in there somewhere? :) Something tells me you know a lot more about computer programming than you're letting on. And to think, I thought you were only interested in poetry. :)

As for Perl, tried it. Done a small coding project with it. It's nice, but I'm gonna stick with PHP for my web programming endeavors. I'm also learning C. I like computer programming as it allows me to be creative, and yet, acheive utility in doing something worthwhile. Plus, I suck at writing poetry, haikus (not to mention ones made in Perl, too!) and filthy limericks. :)

As for getting back on track, NTID is a nice school. As other posters correctly pointed out, NTID really isn't a 'college' as it confers mostly A.S. degrees. The major plus behind NTID is that it grants support services to any Deaf student enrolled in RIT's college programs. A lot of hearing students are already familiar and friendly with D/HH students on campus, almost unheard of anywhere else.

Endymion said:
Generally, executive management of business requires a general understanding of computers, accounting, finance, economics, marketing, systems analysis and design, business law and a few other areas. You do not need to be an expert in all of them, and any deficiencies you have you can quickly resolve by hiring an outside consultant (and you can easily afford this if you're a good businessperson) or have someone on your staff handle it.
Beautiful wording. Reminds me of a favorite and oft-overused quote of mine;

I'm the Jack of All Trades...

But what people don't realize is that this is actually an incomplete quote. The oft-omitted part is as follows:

But, I am Master of None!

:)

Endymion said:
Am I right in saying that NTID offers two year-degrees?

Does that make NTID similar to community colleges, though not necessarily a community college?
You're right. NTID offers 2-year degrees. They also have one masters degree program... Masters of Science in Secondary Education (aka MSSE).

For the 2-year degree, it takes longer because their courses are smaller and simplified.

I've seen some students take 7 to 10 years to get a 2-year degree.

*spits out Diet Coke* Endy, and Teresh you guys owe me a new computer monitor!
rjr2006, What I meant is that if you transfer from a post secondary school to another post secondary school, social issues are often VERY tough, b/c by the time you get to the second school, everyone's already entrenched in friendships, and it can be very hard to make friends and stuff.

ntid will accept anyone with some sort of a hearing loss..so it's really no surprise that you got in..i mean, i applied to RIT..not ntid college as a back up school and got into rit easily..anyway, sorry if i sound so mean but that's the truth..good luck with your futurer endeavors.. =D

deafdyke said:
*spits out Diet Coke* Endy, and Teresh you guys owe me a new computer monitor!

Why? :D

angelstar819 said:
ntid will accept anyone with some sort of a hearing loss..so it's really no surprise that you got in..i mean, i applied to RIT..not ntid college as a back up school and got into rit easily..anyway, sorry if i sound so mean but that's the truth..good luck with your futurer endeavors.. =D

Not true. Only some types of hearing loss are accepted. I know a few people who do not qualify for NTID registration (myself included) because their respective hearing losses do not conform to NTID's written definition of what constitutes being 'deaf' or 'hard of hearing'.

VamPyroX said:
I've seen some students take 7 to 10 years to get a 2-year degree.
While the educational and academic background of these students certainly plays a factor, I suspect this is because of NTID's policy of requring students to pick a major immediately upon enrollment.

I can imagine students, when they enroll at NTID, they're not sure what career path they should take and they face this intense pressure to pick a major NOW. Consequently, many may make choices that they may regret later. If they do change their majors, their earlier academic works are largely wasted and they have to restart again, hence, some students take that long to graduate from NTID with an AS degree.

I wonder if NTID still follows the practice today, where today's enrollees are immediately faced with a career decision upon landing at NTID? Gally never has had this kind of problem as students can wait until 2-3 years after their initial enrollment in order to definitively decide on a major.

Perhaps NTID should loosen their requirements and give students time to seriously consider their career options to prevent academic waste, filling classrooms with students who do not like the subject matter, etc.

Off subject:

I think that NTID is just ok as long as there are deaf students that you could meet them. For getting a job or study in degree is not perfect. Most teachers pass out cheap copied papers - some prints are a little bit fade or out of dates. Most books are very expensive. I remember some thick books that authors wrote are plain stupid because most information in the books often repeat so that it made them think that their books are the better to make profit. It is a waste of time and money - of course, NTID is not the only one. Like Gallaudet.

My own opinion is that 30 percent of NTID graduated students receive a job that meet their degree. Any college's brochure or newsletter can "lie" about how good they are. The best way for you to get the information (learn and study) what you need as possible as you can, and take one or two non-related classes may combine your idea for your goal to work for a company. Please try not to waste your time to social with people for parties. If you go several parties, then you will likely end up a low pay and unrelated job because it is common. My friend was frat and works as a low-pay job. He learned his lesson.

Please respect deaf people at school. I highly suggest to ask your friends to learn each other. For example, an electrician and artist students teach each other to learn their skills. My friend, an electrican and I (computer programmer and photographer) taught each other and it was very interesting - but unfortunately, he had a financial problem, and he left school. Darn it.

Back