Learning disabilities.

I note it applies to you also. And whether you have BiPolar, ADD, etc with your already diagnosed condition, just because you don't want to medicate does not mean you don't have it.

Excess alcohol consumption is an indicator of a person self medicating.

There are plenty of schizophrenic bums on the street who do that too.

By the time you are showing up to your job four or five hours late, most people would notice there might be a problem.

well - it's certainly not an ADD/ADHD. I have been diagnosed by Jillio who is certainly qualified to make such assessment.

from old thread -
Yes, there was a white rabbit in Alice. He ran around saying, "I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date!"

Being consistently late is a passive aggressive tendency.

Passive aggressive. In the scenario you describe, it would be showing your boss that you are in control of the situation by consistenly being up to 40 minutes late and passively demonstrated that you have "power" over another. It is a compensation for some perceived power struggle that you are fighting against, (e.g. being in a position of subordinance to a boss).

btw - I'm not a drinker. In most parties I go to - it's mostly 1-2 beers. I'm what it's called a "social drinker".

well - it's certainly not an ADD/ADHD. I have been diagnosed by Jillio who is certainly qualified to make such assessment.

from old thread -

btw - I'm not a drinker. In most parties I go to - it's mostly 1-2 beers. I'm what it's called a "social drinker".

Well then I apologize. I was basing that on what you have been saying lately that you are out all night drinking and then very late into work.

I don't understand at all.

Well said.

Excess drinking, excess partying, excess caffeine, excess risk behaviour (gun/motorcycle) and very little sleep.

A recipe for disaster especially when a person claims not to have ADD.

Sorry Jiro but I have to agree with Botts.

All of your behaviour matches the typical ADD/ADHD behaviour when it is all in excess.

Excess of drinking, partying, caffeine, risk and you live on very little sleep.
see above for an accurate diagnosis on me by a certified professional :)

1. I do not do excessive drinking because I'm not a big fan of alcohol
2. I do not consume a large amount of caffeine
3. risk? what risk? How does having gun and motorcycle imply risky behavior? That means millions of normal law-abiding Americans are in fact living risky life and may have ADD/ADHD?
4. A very little sleep? There are quite a handful of people who function properly with less-than-8-hrs-of-sleep... like Jinx. Albert Einstein sleeps 12+ hrs per day. Isn't that abnormal? 8-hrs is just an average but more or less does not really imply anything.
5. a recipe for disaster? well let's see - yes I am an adrenaline junkie but I do not live my life recklessly to throw my life away just for 5 min of pure thrill. I do not drink or drive. I do not play with gun on daily basis. I am extremely "nazi-strict" on gun safety. I keep my unloaded gun in a locked case. Prior to buying a motorcycle, I spent several months to research on motorcycle safety and took a safety course. I spent over $1,000 for protective clothes. I do not go around and get easily offended enough to fight with anybody. I am a law-abiding citizen and I pay my tax & bills on time and I have no criminal record.

This would explain your irrational behaviour and thinking logic.

source

I am not surprised that this is where you constantly challenge this debate- denial is always the first stage.
I have not denied anything. I'm merely challenging the case. I am always open to anything but I must be convinced so convince me! You are treating this issue with emotion while I treat this issue on both sides with logic and science. I suggest that you should try to do same.

Let me reiterate - I do believe ADD/ADHD is real but I do not believe this level of unprecedented scale. Now - millions of children are diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and millions are medicated with ritalian/adderall. I am appalled at that. I do not believe it's that many. My belief is that maybe 90% of those children diagnosed with ADD/ADHD are just simply a case of normal hyperactivity and boredom. Come on.... this is 21st century. Our children are placed in 19th century setting. The youth are now smarter and faster at much younger age. We need to adapt our system for them! At adult age - the brain is already developed so it's easier to make a diagnosis. I do believe that you, Bott, Lucia, and others have a real case of ADD/ADHD. It's just that I'm very bothered about children being diagnosed with it. It's too gray.

Sorry dear, you cannot have an online assessment.

Even Jillio will say the same; you have to submit to a series of assessment to confirm whether you have ADD/ADHD or not.

Jillio has not officially diagnosed you therefore you cannot state she has DX'ed you.

see above for an accurate diagnosis on me by a certified professional :)

1. I do not do excessive drinking because I'm not a big fan of alcohol
2. I do not consume a large amount of caffeine
3. risk? what risk? How does having gun and motorcycle imply risky behavior? That means millions of normal law-abiding Americans are in fact living risky life and may have ADD/ADHD?
4. A very little sleep? There are quite a handful of people who function properly with less-than-8-hrs-of-sleep... like Jinx. Albert Einstein sleeps 12+ hrs per day. Isn't that abnormal? 8-hrs is just an average but more or less does not really imply anything.
5. a recipe for disaster? well let's see - yes I am an adrenaline junkie but I do not live my life recklessly to throw my life away just for 5 min of pure thrill. I do not drink or drive. I do not play with gun on daily basis. I am extremely "nazi-strict" on gun safety. I keep my unloaded gun in a locked case. Prior to buying a motorcycle, I spent several months to research on motorcycle safety and took a safety course. I spent over $1,000 for protective clothes. I do not go around and get easily offended enough to fight with anybody. I am a law-abiding citizen and I pay my tax & bills on time and I have no criminal record.

I have not denied anything. I'm merely challenging the case. I am always open to anything but I must be convinced so convince me! You are treating this issue with emotion while I treat this issue on both sides with logic and science. I suggest that you should try to do same.

Let me reiterate - I do believe ADD/ADHD is real but I do not believe this level of unprecedented scale. Now - millions of children are diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and millions are medicated with ritalian/adderall. I am appalled at that. I do not believe it's that many. My belief is that maybe 90% of those children diagnosed with ADD/ADHD are just simply a case of normal hyperactivity and boredom. Come on.... this is 21st century. Our children are placed in 19th century setting. The youth are now smarter and faster at much younger age. We need to adapt our system for them!

I am treating this with logic and common sense.

I am filtering out your ignorance because I just know you do have compassion in this subject. You claim to use logic and science but science has no place in this subject and I encourage you to do the same.

Compassion, Jiro.. compassion.

Well then I apologize. I was basing that on what you have been saying lately that you are out all night drinking and then very late into work.

I don't understand at all.

oh Bott - don't worry. your apology is never needed for me :ily:

Well - I know there are lot of people who LOVE to party but I'm no social butterfly. I'm, in fact, a hermit. I prefer to "party" at mountain than at club but I do go out and meet people mainly because my friends want me to come along for support reason. Tonight - I have a party to go to after work because I'm going to go and support my friends, put in good words, etc.. Tomorrow - I have a deaf poetry club to go to because.... you guess it...... to go and support my friends :)

I'm always in business of supporting my friends to attain their goal. I have no such interest in pleasuring myself with parties, boozes, and drugs. It's stupid, really. and very destructive. I make it my mission to get them out of that self-destructive behavior.

I am treating this with logic and common sense.

I am filtering out your ignorance because I just know you do have compassion in this subject. You claim to use logic and science but science has no place in this subject and I encourage you to do the same.

Compassion, Jiro.. compassion.

yes the compassion. Your much-needed compassion is working with people diagnosed with ADD/ADHD when the doctors are not doing their part.

My compassion is on children being misdiagnosed and drugged with ritalian/adderral that will take a while to wean off just because it's a shortcut for the teachers and/or parents to deal with.

Sorry dear, you cannot have an online assessment.

Even Jillio will say the same; you have to submit to a series of assessment to confirm whether you have ADD/ADHD or not.

Jillio has not officially diagnosed you therefore you cannot state she has DX'ed you.

never said it was an official diagnosis but it's certainly an assessment done by a certified professional that I agree with. I think she can make an accurate diagnosis (but not an official version) on me based on my 28,038 posts :)

But I would obviously see the professional if it's having a negative impact on my life but it hasn't. I finished school. I have a job. I have a good social life. No problem so far.

I like Mrs. Buckets stance.

A saying my Dad liked to repeat," you don't know until you have walked a mile in their moccasins". I have found that a lot of people question things by stating what they know and then filtering responses according to what they already believe. This is a natural human way. It is not a smooth way but does work kind of.

A saying my Dad liked to repeat," you don't know until you have walked a mile in their moccasins". I have found that a lot of people question things by stating what they know and then filtering responses according to what they already believe. This is a natural human way. It is not a smooth way but does work kind of.

but..... these people especially doctors who made such diagnosis do not have one themselves so.... makes you wonder why there are so many misdiagnosis

that kind of argument is a typical defensive line to use if the opposing view is challenging enough to question one's stance :hmm:

but..... these people especially doctors who made such diagnosis do not have one themselves so.... makes you wonder why there are so many misdiagnosis

that kind of argument is a typical defensive line to use if the opposing view is challenging enough to question one's stance :hmm:

I can tell that there is a lot of genuine affection here for you, Jiro, and that typical defensive line is the natural one to give in that case. :lol:
Misdiagnosis in the field of the mind is common but a pattern of problems does develop over time into a more accurate picture. Usually it starts out hmm something isn't right. It is a shame that it often works out to be so much suffering so often before effective help and selfhelp can gain some real traction.
Personally I am glad no one diagnosed me with anything except, "weird kid but seems harmless" and have let me slug it all out on my own.

Shel, points out the fact that another situation entirely can cause behavior that are mistaken. It is far from an exact science and still has a long ways to go. A man of your energy, depth and breadth of mind, and good common sense could really do some good in the field.

I can tell that there is a lot of genuine affection here for you, Jiro, and that typical defensive line is the natural one to give in that case. :lol:
Misdiagnosis in the field of the mind is common but a pattern of problems does develop over time into a more accurate picture. Usually it starts out hmm something isn't right. It is a shame that it often works out to be so much suffering so often before effective help and selfhelp can gain some real traction.
Personally I am glad no one diagnosed me with anything except, "weird kid but seems harmless" and have let me slug it all out on my own.

Shel, points out the fact that another situation entirely can cause behavior that are mistaken. It is far from an exact science and still has a long ways to go. A man of your energy, depth and breadth of mind, and good common sense could really do some good in the field.

In the teaching training programs, I was told again and again not to jump to conclusions or automatically that every child who is listless, restless, or daydreaming has ADDHD or ADD but to try a different approach to my lessons to meet their needs. If all different approaches fails then refer the child to a pychologist but never never ever jump the gun right away.

Like Jiro said, today's children are different from past generations. Matter of fact, the class i am taking now is addressing that issue now. We, teachers, need to change from the traditional approach into a more digital-centered approach.

In the teaching training programs, I was told again and again not to jump to conclusions or automatically that every child who is listless, restless, or daydreaming has ADDHD or ADD but to try a different approach to my lessons to meet their needs. If all different approaches fails then refer the child to a pychologist but never never ever jump the gun right away.

Like Jiro said, today's children are different from past generations. Matter of fact, the class i am taking now is addressing that issue now. We, teachers, need to change from the traditional approach into a more digital-centered approach.

While I certainly agree with this, I have not forgotten how people believed that I behaved the way I did was because I was brain damaged due to prenatal rubella even though doctors never could find any evidence of brain damage and that I was emotionally distrubed. My emotional problems turned out to be a classic case of overreacting to some situations.

When I finally found info on ADD, my counselers were quite certain that I suffered from some kind of dementia because rubella can cause brain damage in fetuses; I was born deaf due to Rubella. I disagreed due to my history of being checked for brain damage. It took me a while to collect old school records but eventally I got dx'd with ADD due to my school records. The doctor had to famliarize themselves with problems that many deaf deal with before they arrived at the dx. They had to rule out both deafness and thyroid disease in my case.

For many deaf, the only reason why they would seem ADD like is because of commuincation issue. That doesn't mean that ADD or other problems shouldn't be ruled out. Nor should conclusions be jumped to. What others should look for is patterns that doesn't fit in with deafness or other co-morbidities. Inattention can be due to not being able to hear but problems with

While I certainly agree with this, I have not forgotten how people believed that I behaved the way I did was because I was brain damaged due to prenatal rubella even though doctors never could find any evidence of brain damage and that I was emotionally distrubed. My emotional problems turned out to be a classic case of overreacting to some situations.

When I finally found info on ADD, my counselers were quite certain that I suffered from some kind of dementia because rubella can cause brain damage in fetuses; I was born deaf due to Rubella. I disagreed due to my history of being checked for brain damage. It took me a while to collect old school records but eventally I got dx'd with ADD due to my school records. The doctor had to famliarize themselves with problems that many deaf deal with before they arrived at the dx. They had to rule out both deafness and thyroid disease in my case.

For many deaf, the only reason why they would seem ADD like is because of commuincation issue. That doesn't mean that ADD or other problems shouldn't be ruled out. Nor should conclusions be jumped to. What others should look for is patterns that doesn't fit in with deafness or other co-morbidities. Inattention can be due to not being able to hear but problems with

That's my whole point...kids who have been with our program since birth are usually diagnosed correctly since they already have a strong first language and are with people who have many years of experience of working with deaf children. Usually that group, about maybe 1 or 2% of them are diagnosed with ADDHD, ADD, or LD.

While the kids who come from public schools usually have those diagnosis and it would seem like around 90% of them come to our program with having those diagnosis but once they learn ASL or be around people who can communicate with them effectively, those symptoms "mysteriously" disappear and we both know that people who have ADD, ADDHD, or LD have them for life.

Hope that makes sense. That's my whole point...

Back