Learning disabilities.

Are we talking about LD or ADD/ADHD here? both are so different. I have many family member has learning disability and none of them have ADD or ADHD. People with LD tend to misspelling. Life so hard for them because everyone think they are lazy but not true. They just simple gave up and let someone else do task for them because it takes long time for them to finish the tasks.

Here i read everyone talk about ADD/ADHD not LD. Oh well.

Sorry dear, you cannot have an online assessment.

Even Jillio will say the same; you have to submit to a series of assessment to confirm whether you have ADD/ADHD or not.

Jillio has not officially diagnosed you therefore you cannot state she has DX'ed you.

Yes, you most certainly must undergo a series of tests to diagnose ADD/ADHD.

But Jiro is talking about my categorizing a particular behavior he described for me as a passive/agressive behavior. That is not a diagnosis...just a behavior type that can be seen with numerous disorders.

Are we talking about LD or ADD/ADHD here? both are so different. I have many family member has learning disability and none of them have ADD or ADHD. People with LD tend to misspelling. Life so hard for them because everyone think they are lazy but not true. They just simple gave up and let someone else do task for them because it takes long time for them to finish the tasks.

There are many types of LD. ADD/ADHD can be categorized as an LD because it does interfere with the learning process.

This is my reaction as well. For what this is worth, I tend to agree with you and what you said. ADHD is being over diagnosed in the general population, so I can see where it is also being over diagnosed in the deaf community, simply for the fact that the deaf community is so small. I will say that I think the diagnosis is not made as readily in the adult population. So, it's both. It's a shame, too, because you still have people not getting the help they need, and yet, you have kids who are on medications when they really needn't be.

Go figure.

And, with that dear people.... I'm out. I care not to debate this any further. I just felt that some were coming down harder on Jiro then they need have, so I felt I needed to say something.

Take care all...

I agree with the above bolded statement. That is exactly why I have said numerous times that before making any kind of diagnosis on behavior or mental or educational disorders, the clinician needs to be completely familiar with deaf culture and the effects of being visually oriented in an orally based society. It is not unusual for those that are unfamiliar to mistake behaviors that are perfectly normal for someone who can't hear as abnormal based on hearing standards. Really pisses me off when I see it happen.

There are many types of LD. ADD/ADHD can be categorized as an LD because it does interfere with the learning process.
Really you tell me my oldest gifted bright straight A's son had ld because he had ADD (he thinks he used to have it because he can not sit still in classroom for hoursand I think he simple was too bored with school)? Then you tell me that my youngest son who has LD ( in mild auditory short term memory) which he barely made it to finish high school has ADD? Not what school psychologist told me. None of my family, my husband, my brother in law, my nieces, and two sisters and my youngest son have ADD/ADHD but LD. This discussion is way off between people with LD and people who believed ADD/ADHD. I will talk with my sister who is an expert in this field. She was the one who noticed my youngest son at age 1 and told me he has LD right away. . I will ask her if she ever worked with LD kids who had ADD/ADHD. I never heard she mentioned this ADD/ADHD. Many of her students had serious LD which can not read or write at all. Just alike my brother in law who has very serious LD never learn how to read or write ever.

My biggest turn off by those professionals who believe kids has this ADD/ADHD need to take drug to control them. It goes same with kids who has bi-polar disorder take medicine to calm them down. U may have a degree in this so is my sister.

Really you tell me my oldest gifted bright straight A's son had ld because he had ADD (he thinks he used to have it because he can not sit still in classroom for hoursand I think he simple was too bored with school)? Then you tell me that my youngest son who has LD ( in mild auditory short term memory) which he barely made it to finish high school has ADD? Not what school psychologist told me. None of my family, my husband, my brother in law, my nieces, and two sisters and my youngest son have ADD/ADHD but LD. This discussion is way off between people with LD and people who believed ADD/ADHD. I will talk with my sister who is an expert in this field. She was the one who noticed my youngest son at age 1 and told me he has LD right away. . I will ask her if she ever worked with LD kids who had ADD/ADHD. I never heard she mentioned this ADD/ADHD. Many of her students had serious LD which can not read or write at all. Just alike my brother in law who has very serious LD never learn how to read or write ever.

My biggest turn off by those professionals who believe kids has this ADD/ADHD need to take drug to control them. It goes same with kids who has bi-polar disorder take medicine to calm them down. U may have a degree in this so is my sister.

My hearing brother has bipolar and if he doesnt take his meds, he engages in criminal behavior. Not saying it is an excuse but the meds seem to control his raging impulses that he suffers with from his condition. Sometimes medicine does help..it all depends on how it works on each individual.

I agree with the above bolded statement. That is exactly why I have said numerous times that before making any kind of diagnosis on behavior or mental or educational disorders, the clinician needs to be completely familiar with deaf culture and the effects of being visually oriented in an orally based society. It is not unusual for those that are unfamiliar to mistake behaviors that are perfectly normal for someone who can't hear as abnormal based on hearing standards. Really pisses me off when I see it happen.

The doctor who dx'd me as ADD had to familarize himself with the deaf culture and stuff cuz he hadn't had a patient like me before. Luckily, several in his building knew about deaf and they were able to tell hm about it.

I have to agree that the general population shouldn't do dx'ing. In my case, a dx of ADD never occurred to my teachers who worked with the deaf. They were fixated on me having brain damage due to Rubella despite no evidence pointing to this.

I would agree with this; especially when you factor in comorbid disorders like bipolar disorder that tend to overlap with ADHD/ADD.

Uh, no. I wasn't saying anything like that.

ADD/ADHD is much more than "not being able to sit still." It is a cognitive impairment. But you have aptly illustrated why only a professional should be making the diagnosis.

There are some children who desperately need the medication. It is a biological/chemical disorder of the brain. Medication is necessary to correct that. Behavioral therapy is also necessary.

The doctor who dx'd me as ADD had to familarize himself with the deaf culture and stuff cuz he hadn't had a patient like me before. Luckily, several in his building knew about deaf and they were able to tell hm about it.

I have to agree that the general population shouldn't do dx'ing. In my case, a dx of ADD never occurred to my teachers who worked with the deaf. They were fixated on me having brain damage due to Rubella despite no evidence pointing to this.

You had a wonderful doctor! Too many aren't willing to familiarize themselves.

Ah, yes! When you were in school, brain damage from rubella (we all remmy the rubella hump) was even more popular a diagnosis in the deaf than was ADD/ADHD is today.

This to tends to happen a lot when you have someone with complex issues, though. I also had doctors fixate on a specific cause of my inattention when it was something else entirely.

I think courses in deaf culture should be built into the curriculi of every would-be Dr. If Dr's had the knowledge, there might be less misdiagnoses.

This to tends to happen a lot when you have someone with complex issues, though. I also had doctors fixate on a specific cause of my inattention when it was something else entirely.

I think courses in deaf culture should be built into the curriculi of every would-be Dr. If Dr's had the knowledge, there might be less misdiagnoses.

It would be great if physicians were given more multicultural training as a whole.

You had a wonderful doctor! Too many aren't willing to familiarize themselves.

Ah, yes! When you were in school, brain damage from rubella (we all remmy the rubella hump) was even more popular a diagnosis in the deaf than was ADD/ADHD is today.

Yeah. I still find it hard to believe that only 20k people in this country has Rubella syndrome. I think what I have here is a confirmation bias though that isn't related to this thread.

Yeah. I still find it hard to believe that only 20k people in this country has Rubella syndrome. I think what I have here is a confirmation bias though that isn't related to this thread.

That is exactly what you have here!:giggle:

Call me skeptical...

But for some reason... I think the rate of diagnosis of ADHD is more co-related to people's personality not being matched with their choice of jobs or careers or learning style.

I means... I would lose it too if I sit in front of a computer all day long programming as an administrator at a university... oppose to being an IT maintainence tech support and fixing people's downed computers at a local high school. Same base career, just completely different tasks.

Call me skeptical...

But for some reason... I think the rate of diagnosis of ADHD is more co-related to people's personality not being matched with their choice of jobs or careers or learning style.

I means... I would lose it too if I sit in front of a computer all day long programming as an administrator at a university... oppose to being an IT maintainence tech support and fixing people's downed computers at a local high school. Same base career, just completely different tasks.

In the adult population, I would tend to agree with that. It certainly is a variable that needs to be considered.

With kids, it is often a mismatch in the child's personality and the teacher's personality...or often, even the parent's personality.

It's still LD but it turned into a ADHD debate. oh well :)

oh and yes, ADHD is LD because learning is difficult for people with ADHD and they need a different method of teaching. Unless they are really interested in a subject (and when they are interested in something, they really get absorb in it and forget everything else), alot of things are very boring for people with ADD or ADHD. they are unable to finish their work too.

It's still LD but it turned into a ADHD debate. oh well :)

oh and yes, ADHD is LD because learning is difficult for people with ADHD and they need a different method of teaching. Unless they are really interested in a subject (and when they are interested in something, they really get absorb in it and forget everything else), alot of things are very boring for people with ADD or ADHD. they are unable to finish their work too.

Exactly!

Back