Learning disabilities.

pretty interesting thread. i know of a few ppl with adhd, some more severe, others fairly mild but it changes as they go from child>teenagehood to adulthood and so on, so from Jillo's comments about mismatching personalities between those still learning and others with task of teaching (teachers, parents, those in authority...) it hits it on the head of the nail. quite good. I'm "lazy" just because i dont have time to read all thru every latest posts, as I have other intellectually challenging material thrown at me all the time... blah, its like I cant absorb Everything - im not god, suppose some people are luckier than other/me to have be gifted with sharper minds.... but its not a competition....(we all should remember that)...

It's still LD but it turned into a ADHD debate. oh well :)

oh and yes, ADHD is LD because learning is difficult for people with ADHD and they need a different method of teaching. Unless they are really interested in a subject (and when they are interested in something, they really get absorb in it and forget everything else), alot of things are very boring for people with ADD or ADHD. they are unable to finish their work too.

And I don't do well with people who tend to need an overly rigid structure or have rigid personalities. Nor do I do well in an environment that has no structure.

I remember dropping out of one of my English classes in college. English and Art are my best subjects, BTW. My terp told me later on that the teacher in that class wasn't very good and her class had no structure at all and that I wasn't the only one who dropped out.

And I don't do well with people who tend to need an overly rigid structure or have rigid personalities. Nor do I do well in an environment that has no structure.

I remember dropping out of one of my English classes in college. English and Art are my best subjects, BTW. My terp told me later on that the teacher in that class wasn't very good and her class had no structure at all and that I wasn't the only one who dropped out.

yes, i have my share of this too.
However, some 'rigidness' you observed may not always be to do with their personalities, but to do with how they were taught the subject, and or indeed how they were trained to teach it.
Then again, some individuals are gifted at the subjects but useless at teaching, others have gift to evoke's students passion for learning even thought they (teachers) may not be particularily great on the subject or topics.
To reinterate my point here, is that not only the individuals' style of teaching could reflect their personality or styles of how they structure their teaching, it could well be how they know the subjects which may be inheriently rigid, so they struggle. English isnt exactly an easy subject to teach, its one of the hardest language to learn in the world (next to Chinese), so its barely surprising.
but i do get your poiint, and i do agree too!, just saying its not Always the case, but indeed in your experience, its likely to be. Just saying, that's all :)

yes, i have my share of this too.
However, some 'rigidness' you observed may not always be to do with their personalities, but to do with how they were taught the subject, and or indeed how they were trained to teach it.
Then again, some individuals are gifted at the subjects but useless at teaching, others have gift to evoke's students passion for learning even thought they (teachers) may not be particularily great on the subject or topics.
To reinterate my point here, is that not only the individuals' style of teaching could reflect their personality or styles of how they structure their teaching, it could well be how they know the subjects which may be inheriently rigid, so they struggle. English isnt exactly an easy subject to teach, its one of the hardest language to learn in the world (next to Chinese), so its barely surprising.
but i do get your poiint, and i do agree too!, just saying its not Always the case, but indeed in your experience, its likely to be. Just saying, that's all :)

Actually, I am referring to people who are overly rigid in their approach to life rather than just the subjects that they teach. One of my math teacher was like that with everything. She was inflexiable in her approach to everything.

I've always been a straight A student in English. So people were surprised that I dropped out of my English class. I have finished all my English requirements though without any problems after that class.

The professor who taught that class would rant about Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky and other stuff instead of teaching the class and as a result i never knew what was expected of me. Like I said, her class had no structure. Yes, I had a terp for it.. but even a terp can't make up for it. My terp told me the class had no structure.. and many students dropped out of it.

That's why i doubt i will ever be my own boss unless i got someone behind the scene (like a wife or a long-term best friend) kicking my ass.

That's why i doubt i will ever be my own boss unless i got someone behind the scene (like a wife or a long-term best friend) kicking my ass.

Everyone needs a good azz kicking from time to time, and are fortunate when they have someone who cares enough to go about doing it!:P

Or a business partner.. I think I'd do better with one like htat.

Everyone needs a good azz kicking from time to time, and are fortunate when they have someone who cares enough to go about doing it!:P

There's a reason why I tell people i am a good apprentice, but not a very good scholar.

The amount of self-discipline that is needed to be a scholar. :shock:

There's a reason why I tell people i am a good apprentice, but not a very good scholar.

The amount of self-discipline that is needed to be a scholar. :shock:

Scholars are also infamous for being scatter-brained!:lol:

i think the prospect of being homeless might be incentive enough for them to keep applying for grants... and get their research done on time.

Perhaps. I have known a few scholars that get so wrapped up in their research projects that they don't even realize the world continues to move on! Consequences are something they don't stop to consider until one smacks them in the face.:giggle:

I guess either my daughter doesn't really have the ADD that she had been diagnosed with, or she really adapted and learned how to deal with it. If she does have it, it has to be real mild, if there is such a thing. She takes no medicine and has had no therapy except for speech while in public school. She knows when things get to be too much or unbearable for her, so that's when she runs, or pulls out the crayons and coloring book. She is now channeling that energy to working with beads. She does not get along with people in her age range, mainly due to constantly being picked on. She stays with the toddlers and preschoolers, or the adults. When working with the little ones, she gets the feeling of having accomplished something positive. That's pretty good for someone with all of her issues. She will be 16 this next Monday and seems to be happy all things considered.

Back