just got back from the drs office

definitely. i have found that it is way easier to ask my pediatrician or now, the therapy center. i was even able to get him a free blend-tec blender last week! they give them away to special needs kids with feeding problems!! :cheers:

Terrific! There are so many more ways to access services and products than just relying on the country office or the home school district.

I am glad you are being proactive with getting your son's needs met instead of waiting around for the educational system to take action. Yes, I am in the field of education and yes, I love it but I do admit that sometimes, there is just too much political BS in the way and getting what your son needs might take a long time. It could be quick...depending on all the red tape.

Use whatever avenues as you can. Good luck!

I am not jumping the gun; and I didn't say anything about placement, but thank you.

I was addressing Frankiesmom's statement about purchasing a "communication board" and I was providing her with relevant information. I am clear on the fact that he has other issues going on as I too, read the OP.

It's really not necessary to respond to each and every one of my posts.

Stop derailing another one of this parent's threads.

yep, because early intervention said there was NO WAY i could get his formula paid for, because the state wouldnt pay for a toddler to be on pediasure as its sole source of nutrition, but i went and got a doctors note and they took care of it! which im glad because its expensive.

yep, because early intervention said there was NO WAY i could get his formula paid for, because the state wouldnt pay for a toddler to be on pediasure as its sole source of nutrition, but i went and got a doctors note and they took care of it! which im glad because its expensive.

I love it! A resourceful parent!

I am glad you are being proactive with getting your son's needs met instead of waiting around for the educational system to take action. Yes, I am in the field of education and yes, I love it but I do admit that sometimes, there is just too much political BS in the way and getting what your son needs might take a long time. It could be quick...depending on all the red tape.

Use whatever avenues as you can. Good luck!

And because she is proactive and resourceful, she will not be dependent upon an overburdened school system to provide, solely, for her child's needs.

I know I wish I had more parents like her on my case load, and I'm sure you do,too. This is a parent that understands teamwork, and we both know that successful teamwork leads to successful outcomes.

Yes that is a possibility, and that's what I'm concerned about.

As they say, you don't want to place all of your eggs in one basket. Especially if that basket is filled with cracks.

Your concern is misplaced. :laugh2: Any cracks in my basket have been filled with experience and eduation. When you have filled your cracks in the same way, you can begin to compare yourself.

Now, topic away from CSign and back on Frankie and his mom.

Do you realize how counter-productive your pettiness is? Please leave your issues with me at the door.

I am providing accurate and relevant information to this parent. You trying to "get one over on me" is not helpful and could actually hinder this parents ability to fully take in the information if she actually buys into everything you say.

Please stop. This is not the place for you to fulfill your personal vendetta.

I dunno about you but perhaps you should "take a hint"... frankiesmom's really not interested in what you're saying anymore and yet you're still here.

i am interested in anything anyone has to say here. i am not an expert at any of this, and any advice is most welcome. i seriously have no clue what i am doing..besides my sisters child, i have never even known a child with either hearing loss or mental delays. im not picky!

i am interested in anything anyone has to say here. i am not an expert at any of this, and any advice is most welcome. i seriously have no clue what i am doing..besides my sisters child, i have never even known a child with either hearing loss or mental delays. im not picky!

you're too nice :)

tell that to my husband!!! he would..disagree. i tend to be on the naggy side, to put it mildly.

No harm in taking it all in. Just be discriminating in application.

ok...do they have those communication boards for deaf children? i keep hearing about them but everything i have found about them relates to autistic kids..i am wondering if he would have an easier time with this first, and then eventually, when he has developed more, move on to sign language? he cant use his hands, but he can bat at things..of course that would require him understanding what it was for...:dance2::dance2::dance2: i could go crazy finding a solution i think!

Actually.......there IS a school especially for deaf kids who have mental delays, as well as hearing kids who have difficulty with verbal communication. ...It is too bad you're not in Massachusetts: Children's Center for Communication
But maybe you could contact them and see if there's any local people (who specialize in kids like yours) who might be able to help you. Your son can't be the only dhh multi kid out there.

you would think he is! unfortunately, oklahoma absolutely SUCKS when it comes to any special services..i didnt realize just how backwards we are out here.

thats what i am saying ..he cant even make an attempt at this point. he literally does not use his hands for anything but holding his bottle and batting at toys, and he can only do that partially. physically he COULD, but he doesnt understand, if that makes sense. i cant wait for him to start occupational therapy, needless to say.
where would i buy a communication board? ive looked it up but havent found anything.

Would it help to made a communication board to use at home for the things your son use everyday? It could help him try to use his hands more often.
You're and your husband are being very proactive in your son education and that is wonderful ,. Your son is very lucky to have you as his mother.

ive thought about that, but he wouldnt understand..BUT! i found something very interesting last night..there are toys/noise makers that you can buy and put these big plastic button pad thingies on them that can be slapped to get the toy to react...i think they were called reward switches? at any rate, im going to look into those a bit further.

frankiesmom, contact United Cerebal Palsy or Easter Seals. They may be able to help you a bit more.

Back