just got back from the drs office

True. But I would encourage her to start with whatever she can afford, and get more later when the funding comes to her.'

A few months can be a lot in a situation like Frankie's.

Yes, time is of the essence.

We are all well aware of IDEA. Again, as with any law, it is open to interpretation. Frankie'smom needs to know that it is not her only option.

I'm not even sure Frankiesmom knew about IDEA, especially given a number of her questions. Frankie's communication needs have to be addressed, and the County Office is obligated to provide for those individual needs. Frankiesmom seems pretty clear that she can buy it if she wants, as an option.

Frankiesmom- there is nothing wrong with asking questions, I'm not discouraging that at all. I'm just trying to help share some information with you that can be helpful. Being aware of these laws and Ed Codes can be empowering for a parent.

The SD/county office always expects you to go along with what they say, and
the fact is they are not always right. That's where we step in as parents.

I'm not even sure Frankiesmom knew about IDEA, especially given a number of her questions. Frankie's communication needs have to be addressed, and the County Office is obligated to provide for those individual needs. Frankiesmom seems pretty clear that she can buy it if she wants, as an option.

Frankiesmom- there is nothing wrong with asking questions, I'm not discouraging that at all. I'm just trying to help share some information with you that can be helpful. Being aware of these laws and Ed Codes can be empowering for a parent.

you have about 12 years to go.

Right now, no one has recommended a communication board. It is just something that crossed frankiesmom's mind as a possiblity in the future. By the time that it needs to be put into effect, the law may have been amended.

School systems are overburdened as it is. When one can receive funding elsewhere, and actually own the device as well, it is more than worthwhile to go that route. It leaves funding in place for services that can't be provided any other way.

Right now, no one has recommended a communication board. It is just something that crossed frankiesmom's mind as a possiblity in the future. By the time that it needs to be put into effect, the law may have been amended.

School systems are overburdened as it is. When one can receive funding elsewhere, and actually own the device as well, it is more than worthwhile to go that route. It leaves funding in place for services that can't be provided any other way.

Yes, it has crossed her mind and she is an equal member of the IFSP team. She can call a meeting at any time to adress supplementary devices and other areas of concern.

And about 100 kids.:giggle: On levels from EI to college.

Do you realize how counter-productive your pettiness is? Please leave your issues with me at the door.

I am providing accurate and relevant information to this parent. You trying to "get one over on me" is not helpful and could actually hinder this parents ability to fully take in the information if she actually buys into everything you say.

Please stop. This is not the place for you to fulfill your personal vendetta.

our early intervention is worthless..they havent helped with anything so far, but that is ok. i am only sticking with them so they will pay for the preschool, but if doesnt work out, im canceling them. his new therapists office should be able to get him anything he needs and if its not 40 million dollars, we can do it. they are helping him get a medical stroller, which will be nice. the developmental pediatrician says that her role is to be a go between and help him if he needs things, or when hes in school,etc. i am going to ask about these other things though.

Yes, it has crossed her mind and she is an equal member of the IFSP team. She can call a meeting at any time to adress supplementary devices and other areas of concern.

You are jumping the gun. Try not to confuse her at this point, huh? She needs to take it step by step. We are talking about a child with issues other than just deafness, and don't even know the prognosis regarding the effects of those issues. It has not reached the point where definitive decisions regarding accomodation or placement need to be made.

there really are a lot of things i can do at home..i am sure if i wanted to push it, i could get them together, present some ideas and then wait for them to get back to me..if i can improvise in the mean time, i am all for that.

there really are a lot of things i can do at home..i am sure if i wanted to push it, i could get them together, present some ideas and then wait for them to get back to me..if i can improvise in the mean time, i am all for that.

There you go! :thumb: It is possible to become too dependent upon someone else's decisions and actions regarding services. With your large family, I'm sure you are used to coming up with creative solutions to things.

our early intervention is worthless..they havent helped with anything so far, but that is ok. i am only sticking with them so they will pay for the preschool, but if doesnt work out, im canceling them. his new therapists office should be able to get him anything he needs and if its not 40 million dollars, we can do it. they are helping him get a medical stroller, which will be nice. the developmental pediatrician says that her role is to be a go between and help him if he needs things, or when hes in school,etc. i am going to ask about these other things though.

Exactly. His developmental pediatrician will carry a lot of weight in his case. And yes, the OT can get him anything he needs. And like I said, if it should come down to you needing outside funding sources, I can send you a list, and either the OT or the pediatrician can make the reference for you.

I know that you are dissatisfied with his EI services right now, so I see it as fairly useless and a waste of energy to fight with the county office about services you are not even satisfied with. That time and energy can be used in much more productive ways...for both you and your son.

exactly! these places are great if you cant think on your own in any fashion, or if you simply just cant do things for yourself but i hate being complacent..i like to take action now, which is why i have been pelting this forum with numerous questions for the past month and a half :D

Do you realize how counter-productive your pettiness is? Please leave your issues with me at the door.

I am providing accurate and relevant information to this parent. You trying to "get one over on me" is not helpful and could actually hinder this parents ability to fully take in the information if she actually buys into everything you say.

Please stop. This is not the place for you to fulfill your personal vendetta.

:laugh2: Not counter productive at all. Appears this parent is paying close attention.:giggle:

I think this parent figured out a long time ago who to listen to.:cool2:

You are jumping the gun. Try not to confuse her at this point, huh? She needs to take it step by step. We are talking about a child with issues other than just deafness, and don't even know the prognosis regarding the effects of those issues. It has not reached the point where definitive decisions regarding accomodation or placement need to be made.

I am not jumping the gun; and I didn't say anything about placement, but thank you.

I was addressing Frankiesmom's statement about purchasing a "communication board" and I was providing her with relevant information. I am clear on the fact that he has other issues going on as I too, read the OP.

It's really not necessary to respond to each and every one of my posts.

Exactly. His developmental pediatrician will carry a lot of weight in his case. And yes, the OT can get him anything he needs. And like I said, if it should come down to you needing outside funding sources, I can send you a list, and either the OT or the pediatrician can make the reference for you.

I know that you are dissatisfied with his EI services right now, so I see it as fairly useless and a waste of energy to fight with the county office about services you are not even satisfied with. That time and energy can be used in much more productive ways...for both you and your son.

definitely. i have found that it is way easier to ask my pediatrician or now, the therapy center. i was even able to get him a free blend-tec blender last week! they give them away to special needs kids with feeding problems!! :cheers:

exactly! these places are great if you cant think on your own in any fashion, or if you simply just cant do things for yourself but i hate being complacent..i like to take action now, which is why i have been pelting this forum with numerous questions for the past month and a half :D

I like that spirit! Which is why I will answer any questions you have to the best of my ability and area of expertise. Too many parents rely on the school systems to do it for them. That is rarely in the best interest of the child. Of course, you want them to follow the law, and will hold them to it when it is of paramount importance. But it is wise to choose your battles.

:laugh2: Not counter productive at all. Appears this parent is paying close attention.:giggle:

I think this parent figured out a long time ago who to listen to.:cool2:

Yes that is a possibility, and that's what I'm concerned about.

As they say, you don't want to place all of your eggs in one basket. Especially if that basket is filled with cracks.

Back