just got back from the drs office

thats what i am saying ..he cant even make an attempt at this point. he literally does not use his hands for anything but holding his bottle and batting at toys, and he can only do that partially. physically he COULD, but he doesnt understand, if that makes sense. i cant wait for him to start occupational therapy, needless to say.
where would i buy a communication board? ive looked it up but havent found anything.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. He just hasn't made the connection yet. That light bulb will go on one day, though, and you won't be able to slow him down!:P

The occupational therapist can help you out with that. They can get them cheaper than you would be able to just going through a medical supply company or the like.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I hope that he likes OT. My kid loved it. OTs are great. Good luck!

It would be considered a supplementary aid, which would be paid for by the county office serving your son. It just needs to be written in his IFSP.

But it would still belong to the county office and when his EI ceases, it will have to be returned. Just like FM systems.

Insurance very often covers things like this under a prosthesis clause. And it belongs to the individual.

I hope that he likes OT. My kid loved it. OTs are great. Good luck!

My mom had OT after her stoke, and she really looked forward to the therapist coming twice a week.

But it would still belong to the county office and when his EI ceases, it will have to be returned. Just like FM systems.

Insurance very often covers things like this under a prosthesis clause. And it belongs to the individual.

Supplementary aids and devices can and are used at home and non-academic/ extracurricular activities. So while the county office or district owns it, it can and does remain in the individuals possession.

Once he switches over to an IEP; the district would be responsible for providing it to be used at school, home, extra-curriculars etc.

There is no reason for a parent to come out of pocket for supplementary aids and devices- unless for some reason they wanted to.

Supplementary aids and devices can and are used at home and non-academic/ extracurricular activities. So while the county office or district owns it, it can and does remain in the individuals possession.

Once he switches over to an IEP; the district would be responsible for providing it to be used at school, home, extra-curriculars etc.

There is no reason for a parent to come out of pocket for supplementary aids and devices- unless for some reason they wanted to.

Remains in their possession until EI is finished. Then it has to be replaced. School district is not obligated to provide a communication board. They are only required to provide "reasonable accommodation". That could be a terp or a human communication aid.

If it is something that a child uses for all communication in all situations, it is best to invest in the device. You don't expect the school system to provide HAs or CIs. A communication board is just as important for a child with motor skill issues as the HA or CI is. It is their way to communicate independently on an expressive level.

Frankiesmom needs to know that there are options other than just relying on whatever the school system decides to provide.

I paid out of pocket for OT and special keyboards. If you can afford it, you can intervene faster without the red tape. It depends on your financial situation and how expensive your child's needs are. I wanted to speed things up. I don't regret it.

Remains in their possession until EI is finished. Then it has to be replaced. School district is not obligated to provide a communication board. They are only required to provide "reasonable accommodation". That could be a terp or a human communication aid.

If it is something that a child uses for all communication in all situations, it is best to invest in the device. You don't expect the school system to provide HAs or CIs. A communication board is just as important for a child with motor skill issues as the HA or CI is. It is their way to communicate independently on an expressive level.

The school district is required to provide supplementary aids and devices. If the student already had a PECS/iPad to assist in communication then that is all the more reason for it to be included in his IEP.

Parents are not financially responsible for supplementary aids and devices. If Frankiesmom is rolling in money, by all means- she should by it herself.

The fact is those devices can be expensive and most families cannot afford it. They are also not responsible for paying for it, the county or SD is.

Also, the school can say they will provide X. If the family knows student needs X, Y, and Z they need to assert their Childs rights. Period.

I provided a link where you can get software and make a really good pecs board on your own.

Ingenuity can solve a lot of problems without huge outlays of money.

I think it is better to help the kid than wait for your rights.

Thank God my parents put me first and did everything to help me acheive.

Many of us not rolling in money pay for our kids' needs. When I'm fortunate enough to be able to do that, I'm grateful.

Regulations: Part 300 / A / 300.42
Sec. 300.42 Supplementary aids and services.
Supplementary aids and services means aids, services, and other supports that are provided in regular education classes, other education-related settings, and in extracurricular and nonacademic settings, to enable children with disabilities to be educated with nondisabled children to the maximum extent appropriate in accordance with Sec. Sec. 300.114 through 300.116.

(Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1401(33))

Here is the link:

IDEA - Building The Legacy of IDEA 2004,

I think it is better to help the kid than wait for your rights.

Thank God my parents put me first and did everything to help me acheive.

I agree you need to do everything you can to help the child. I don't agree to letting the district or county office off the hook just because they don't want to provide something.

There are laws and Education Codes for a reason.

I agree you need to do everything you can to help the child. I don't agree to letting the district or county office off the hook just because they don't want to provide something.

True. But I would encourage her to start with whatever she can afford, and get more later when the funding comes to her.'

A few months can be a lot in a situation like Frankie's.

Yes, Bott. I didn't want to miss a window of opportunity. It made me happy to be able to help.

The school district is required to provide supplementary aids and devices. If the student already had a PECS/iPad to assist in communication then that is all the more reason for it to be included in his IEP.

Parents are not financially responsible for supplementary aids and devices. If Frankiesmom is rolling in money, by all means- she should by it herself.

The fact is those devices can be expensive and most families cannot afford it. They are also not responsible for paying for it, the county or SD is.

Again, "reasonable accommodation" is the requirement. They are not obligated to provide something just because a child used it in the past. Nor are they required to provide it just because it is the device the parent wants.

Insurance often picks up some of the cost. And I have lists of organizations that help with the costs of things like this. I will be glad to provide them to frankie'smom when the time comes.

Many of us not rolling in money pay for our kids' needs. When I'm fortunate enough to be able to do that, I'm grateful.

And one need not wait for the school system. I have lists of organizations that help cover costs of supplemental aids for students whose parents can't provide them without undue financial distress. I don't have a problem sharing those and making a reference for frankie'smom.

Regulations: Part 300 / A / 300.42
Sec. 300.42 Supplementary aids and services.
Supplementary aids and services means aids, services, and other supports that are provided in regular education classes, other education-related settings, and in extracurricular and nonacademic settings, to enable children with disabilities to be educated with nondisabled children to the maximum extent appropriate in accordance with Sec. Sec. 300.114 through 300.116.

(Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1401(33))

Here is the link:

IDEA - Building The Legacy of IDEA 2004,

We are all well aware of IDEA. Again, as with any law, it is open to interpretation. Frankie'smom needs to know that it is not her only option.

You really don't have a whole lot of experience in this area, do you?

Back