I am mad that I have CI *sigh*

Nope, I can really say that my daughter grows up hearing!. She's deaf, but she can hear. Better than my mother-in-law...

Her sound perception is fine,
Her hearing is fine,
Her speech is coming along fine... in Dutch and Norwegian...

She is deaf... She can hear...

Deafness is an option nowadays !!! Especially for children !!

So you are comparing your deaf daughter's hearing to that of her hard of hearing grandmother? Yet you still claim that your daughter has normal hearing with her CI. See the incongruencies?

So you are comparing your deaf daughter's hearing to that of her hard of hearing grandmother? Yet you still claim that your daughter has normal hearing with her CI. See the incongruencies?
Very good point.

No - I'm referring that I can whisper to Lotte, and she will whisper back to me...
And you can appreciate whispering Jillio... That's not possible for a HOH person....

She hears many things, knows where it comes from, and will alert us.

She hears....

Ahh I see what you saying now Cloggy, and Thanks ismi

If that's how you feel then let it be, I got no argument for that one. ;)

Oh wait, You said you want the baby to learn speech correct? I learned to speak, and my speech skills are very good, even most hearing people don't even know I'm deaf. I don't think that is a problem that applies for deaf children.
very true. Very good point.
We met a woman on a sign-languag course, and never noticed she was deaf. Completely deaf.... and she finally learned to learn sign.. Great.
But my feeling is that it took a lot of work to learn to speak your language.
Now, imagine having to speak 2 more languages.....
But there are more reasons... experiencing sound, music
Contrary to what some deaf people experience when getting CI.... There are a lot of beautiful sounds in the world... A lot....
And Lotte's first baby-cry was one of them!

Very good point.

No - I'm referring that I can whisper to Lotte, and she will whisper back to me...
And you can appreciate whispering Jillio... That's not possible for a HOH person....

She hears many things, knows where it comes from, and will alert us.

She hears....

that will make her hard of hearing?
deaf is for ppl who dont hear at all...
if someone can hear little bit then that is hard of hearing because it is HARD to hear thing...
deaf is like cant hear at all...
I am tired of saying this i am 100% fully deaf to let ppl know that i cant hear little bit..

that will make her hard of hearing?
deaf is for ppl who dont hear at all...
if someone can hear little bit then that is hard of hearing because it is HARD to hear thing...
deaf is like cant hear at all...
I am tired of saying this i am 100% fully deaf to let ppl know that i cant hear little bit..
Do you understand whispering... the intamicy of it. The soothing of whispering with your daughter??

Who say's it's hard for her to hear??

With CI she can hear. Without CI she's deaf.

Do you understand whispering... the intamicy of it. The soothing of whispering with your daughter??

Who say's it's hard for her to hear??

With CI she can hear. Without CI she's deaf.

no i dont understand the whispering..but i can hear good from far away not too close..

i understand that she is still deaf but i am tired to hear such as my friend who label themself deaf even they can hear very well without CI or hearing aids..

no i dont understand the whispering..but i can hear good from far away not too close..

i understand that she is still deaf but i am tired to hear such as my friend who label themself deaf even they can hear very well without CI or hearing aids..

I label myself "I am deaf and have a cochlear implant".

Gee we can't win! On one hand people here have accused us of pretending not to be deaf and of getting rid of our deaf friends when we get a CI and now people complain when we call ourselves deaf. What's it gonna be folks?

:iolol:

Gee we can't win! On one hand people here have accused us of pretending not to be deaf and of getting rid of our deaf friends when we get a CI and now people complain when we call ourselves deaf. What's it gonna be folks?

:iolol:

I'm totally with you! :dunno:

Please open your mind to accept BOTH SIDES, not just ONE SIDE... Please open your mind and see sense of Animal-lover's view and experiences.

For your information, we are not anti-CI... Please respect our opinion for support children's choice/decision on CI.

Thank you.

Yea I agree...not everyone is gonna agree on the same thing and it is only fair to listen to everyone's beliefs and opinions even if we dont agree with them.

Ahh I see what you saying now Cloggy, and Thanks ismi

If that's how you feel then let it be, I got no argument for that one. ;)

Oh wait, You said you want the baby to learn speech correct? I learned to speak, and my speech skills are very good, even most hearing people don't even know I'm deaf. I don't think that is a problem that applies for deaf children.

Same here and I am severely profoundly deaf and have no CIs but yet I learned how to speak well enough to fool a lot of people into thinking I am hard of hearing. I do not understand about that window of opportunity that Cloggy mentioned. :dunno:

My parents forced me to wear CI when I was young....and right now, I'm lovin' it.

I'm glad to hear that. It's not an easy decision for parents to make when their child is too young to decide.

Same here and I am severely profoundly deaf and have no CIs but yet I learned how to speak well enough to fool a lot of people into thinking I am hard of hearing. I do not understand about that window of opportunity that Cloggy mentioned. :dunno:

Yes a lot of people who have posted on here don't understand it.

The reason you have learned to speak well was because you got some benefit from your hearing aids and therefore your brain was stimulated to process and accept sounds. However there are many deaf children who are too deaf to get any benefit from hearing aids (like my nephew who gave up with them at age 2). So they will not hear any sound to stimulate their brain and if they cannot get a CI until they are 18 (if some people have their way) by then it will be too late because the neurons in the brain that would have gone to processing hearing will have been diverted to some other use. That is how the body works.

I know a person who was in that situation - who was too deaf to get any benefit from aids. He had a CI when they first came out in adulthood and he couldn't get any benefit at all and had to turn it off. He still has it implanted and he has moved on and is quite happy with having given it a try.

This window of opportunity concept has been supported many times over by a growing body of scientifically controlled studies but people here refuse to accept this. They know a friend or heard about someone who bucked the odds so therefore it must be possible for everyone to do it.

It reminds me of the argument that smokers often use against the many studies that have shown smoking to be harmful. "Smoking harmful? Nah! I have an uncle who smoked 30 cigarettes a day and he lived to be 85 so it must be okay."

Back