I am mad that I have CI *sigh*

Originally Posted by Angel
I noticed that although some hearing parents mentioned that they don't need to teach their children sign language anymore, because the child now can hear with the use of their implants...It makes me sad to see this happening and what if the child doesn't wear their implant how is the parents going to communicate with the deaf child? and not learning how to sign in order to communicate with their deaf child..Perhaps they think a deaf child no longer needed the use of sign language,.but I was impressed to know that there are other hearing parents that still do communicate in sign language with their deaf child..Just because a child have implants it doesn't mean they should stop signing but rather to only have them speak and listen...I thought this goes both ways, you want a child that can hear, but what about the child needs too?....
Well my experience with the kids at my sons school is that some of them hear and speak pretty good with their CI's but they all continue to learn sign and also sign to each other. It's pretty cool that they do that and for my son, if they didn't, he would be left out. I am sure what you are saying is true and it's sad but I am very happy that is not happening with my son's friends that have CI's. They are actually a pretty close knit group of kids that have been together for many years in school as they have been shifted from one school to another. My guess is that they will remain friends for life.

How so? Most of those children are one years old, 2, some 5, talk about being happy? They don't know what's going on around them, they will learn some days when they're a little bit older enough to know what cochlear implants are all about and what they have. Don't go on making that comment too soon just yet. ;)

I've watched the movie "sound and fury", I've seen children with CI have no knowledge of signs, and even the parents itself does not even know signs either. WTF is all that all about? Is it really about the child or themselves, You tell me. When I saw that movie it's really about themselves, sorry the truth hurts sometimes. It's a sad movie to watch, even my son told me that he loves me just the way I am wouldn't want to see me change to someone that I'm not. I'm very proud of my son who accepts all type of different people, that's the way it should be, it's a disappointing when I watched that movie I don't see them accepting their children the way they were, being deaf. If I had a deaf child, I would not even think twice about getting a CI, I would found him/her a better future, without a needed of a CI, and if my child wants one, I'll support him/her without doubt. That's what family are suppose to be, get involved, making decisions together, not alone without a child being involved. it's the child's life we are talking about here, it's not about themselves the parents.

*nodding agreement sadly* I remember from saw sound and fury movie... :(

Originally Posted by Hear Again Yes, children DO trust their parents to make the right decisions for them. In fact, many children are quite happy to have CIs and are grateful to their parents for making the decision to have a CI. ..

Do you mean babies/toddlers?

I didn´t know that babies/toddlers know and trust their parent´s decision to make for them? :confused:

All what I know children´s development is from babies/toddlers need parent´s warm loving and affection and then the young children understand from their feeling to trust their parents. :dunno:

Well my experience with the kids at my sons school is that some of them hear and speak pretty good with their CI's but they all continue to learn sign and also sign to each other. It's pretty cool that they do that and for my son, if they didn't, he would be left out. I am sure what you are saying is true and it's sad but I am very happy that is not happening with my son's friends that have CI's. They are actually a pretty close knit group of kids that have been together for many years in school as they have been shifted from one school to another. My guess is that they will remain friends for life.

My experience with the kid's with CI at the deaf school my son attended is very simialr to yours. Mostly, the implanted kids would wear their CI in the classroom, and when they were around the parents, but for social events, or just hanging out, they used their sign. Another interesting thing, when communicating with a Deaf teacher, or each other, they would sign ASL. But when communicating with a signing heraring teacher, or signing parent, they would switch to PSE. I used to watch them switch in the same conversation. It was amazing!

My son has several friends from Deaf school that he is still friends with and a couple that went to the same college as him. You're right, the friendships are very tight.

How so? Just because I believe in a child's voice to be heard, and their opinion counts on choices they want to make when it comes to their body? That doesn't sound selfish to me. Don't get soo confused with yourself, I'm on the child's side when it comes to decisions like that, because they're the ones wearing it for life, not the parents. Thank you very much. :)

That´s right.

It's not that easy as the way you sound it out to be, there's risk involved. Don't make it sounds like it's an easy way out, when it's not.

Exactly... I find sad that anyone talk too easy without think twice...

There's nothing wrong with children learning both, but when I watched the movie I already stated on my above post, none of those children knew signs not one. and being deaf isn't a bad thing either. ;)

Yes, that´s right.

Why is it important that I have to accept it? I just feel bad for the child because the child never know it's own deaf culture, because not all parents involves or socially themselves along with their CI child with other deaf people in the deaf community. I've seen some says, there's no needed for their child to be involvement with it's community when the child now has a CI, should only be part of the other world, What's wrong with both worlds? That's the major point of why I don't agree with that. You can't just take away the child's history, really the child is deaf, so what's wrong with learning about it's culture too? I don't see why there's a problem with that.

I feel sick in my stomach when I saw "sounds and fury" movie about shelby... She didn´t know that she is deaf... :( Her parents want her to be like them.

No, I would not give my child eyesight that would make me the most selfish parent who cannot accept my child being blind. I can't do it and I won't do it either unless my child wants to see, I''ll support my child's choice and decisions.

EXACTLY...

The child phyisan suggest to have Otoplasty on Alan, my 2nd son to correct his both ears before he goes his first school. I talked Alan about this but Alan refused. The child physian said to leave him until he feel ready... I see no problem for that and respect his wish for not correct his ears when he was 6 years old, that´s time. 5 years later, Alan is soon to be 11 years old and asked us for our support to have surgery to correct his both ears for a first time last month. Sure, we are happy to fulfill his wish. We are going to make an appointment with same chlid physian and will fix the date where he will have week school holiday next month.

Otoplasty

It shown how much I love him and no matter what he have or not... I accept what he is until he wish to have his both ears to correct... I see no problem because it´s his decision.

cdaigle430´s post really puzzled me... :dunno:

Every time it amazes me that the fact that WHEN the goal is to let the deaf child grow up hearing... it's very important to operate as soon as possible.

Every time it is ignored that when the parent gives the decision to the child, the opportunities have diminished.....

Giving the choice to the child MEANS reducing opportunities for your child...

So, when you say "The child has to make the choice" you are really saying "When the childs decides itself to have CI.. the outcome will be far worse than when I decide!"

Every time it amazes me that the fact that WHEN the goal is to let the deaf child grow up hearing... it's very important to operate as soon as possible.

Why is it must be important for a deaf child to grow up hearing? Is it because that's what you want, because you're hearing also?

So, when you say "The child has to make the choice" you are really saying "When the childs decides itself to have CI.. the outcome will be far worse than when I decide!"

I'm saying it's the child's body, it's the child's ears, it's the child's head, You're basically making the call to allowing to cut your child to put in the implanted, why? Is it your body? Are you wearing it for life?

An implanted deaf child does not grow up hearing. The implanted deaf child grows up deaf with a CI. Only a hearing child grows up hearing. Sound perception is not equal to hearing.

I don't know why I'm continuing to debate this issue with any of you. You're not going to change your opinion and I'm not going to change mine. Let's just agree to disagree, shall we?

Why is it must be important for a deaf child to grow up hearing? Is it because that's what you want, because you're hearing also?
It is what I want FOR HER.. As a parent I act in the best interest for my child. Based on my world, that includes hearing. Based on your world, that includes deafness.
My world - and in time, hers as well - consists of Dutch, Norwegian, English language. And sign.

Have a look here, and look at a happy child that enjoys her CI.. SHE wants to put it on, she comes to our bed in the morning so that we can change batteries, she takes them off when she goes to sleep.. She's comfortable withe AND without CI....

A person is not defined by being deaf of being hearing.

I'm saying it's the child's body, it's the child's ears, it's the child's head, You're basically making the call to allowing to cut your child to put in the implanted, why? Is it your body? Are you wearing it for life?
It's the parent that decided what's best for the child...

And I see you are still ignoring the fact that YOU would reduce the possibility for success for your (theoretical) deaf child that has to decide itself....

Do we still agree to disagree....??

An implanted deaf child does not grow up hearing. The implanted deaf child grows up deaf with a CI. Only a hearing child grows up hearing. Sound perception is not equal to hearing.
Nope, I can really say that my daughter grows up hearing!. She's deaf, but she can hear. Better than my mother-in-law...

Her sound perception is fine,
Her hearing is fine,
Her speech is coming along fine... in Dutch and Norwegian...

She is deaf... She can hear...

Deafness is an option nowadays !!! Especially for children !!

I don't know why I'm continuing to debate this issue with any of you. You're not going to change your opinion and I'm not going to change mine. Let's just agree to disagree, shall we?

yes,that's right. Too much debate doesn't serve good .

Have a look here, and look at a happy child that enjoys her CI.. SHE wants to put it on, she comes to our bed in the morning so that we can change batteries, she takes them off when she goes to sleep.. She's comfortable withe AND without CI....

Of course she would, why wouldn't she? When I was younger I enjoyed my hearing aids, I don't wear them anymore so, she'll be happy with her CI it's something new to her, just like hearing aids were new to me back in the old days.

And I see you are still ignoring the fact that YOU would reduce the possibility for success for your (theoretical) deaf child that has to decide itself....

Do we still agree to disagree....??

Are you saying being deaf is not possible to have a success life, or does it means one must wear CI to have a success life? Please explain.

yes,that's right. Too much debate doesn't serve good .

I don't see anything wrong with debating, nobody is insulting anyone as for yet, I don't see any. Debates does serve a good purpose to learn something, not everyone is going to agree to one side only, that's what debates are for.

That's correct! the child is still deaf with or without CI, no differences. it's not a cure for deafness. ;)

Are you saying being deaf is not possible to have a success life, or does it means one must wear CI to have a success life? Please explain.

He's saying that you offer the most possibilities for success by leaving the child's options open. If you wait until the child is a teenager or adult, they will have a much harder time learning spoken language, if that is what they do; on the other hand, if you implant early, that doesn't preclude using sign at the same time (as demonstrated by kids like his daughter and Lily).

........Are you saying being deaf is not possible to have a success life, or does it means one must wear CI to have a success life?
I have NEVER implied that. I do not believe that. Why do you bring that up... it's not part of this discussion....

Please explain.

Happy to ...

I said...

You argue to let the decision be with the child..
Assume a parent that would love to see the baby use CI in order to develop speech. But this parent does not want to make that decision, the decision has to be made by the child.

The child grows up. Decides to go for CI and is not successful since the window for success is long gone.

Had the child been operated as a baby, the chance for success would be much, much higher... and when at age, it could still learn sign language....

Ahh I see what you saying now Cloggy, and Thanks ismi

If that's how you feel then let it be, I got no argument for that one. ;)

Oh wait, You said you want the baby to learn speech correct? I learned to speak, and my speech skills are very good, even most hearing people don't even know I'm deaf. I don't think that is a problem that applies for deaf children.

I have NEVER implied that. I do not believe that. Why do you bring that up... it's not part of this discussion....

Happy to ...

I said...

You argue to let the decision be with the child..
Assume a parent that would love to see the baby use CI in order to develop speech. But this parent does not want to make that decision, the decision has to be made by the child.

The child grows up. Decides to go for CI and is not successful since the window for success is long gone.

Had the child been operated as a baby, the chance for success would be much, much higher... and when at age, it could still learn sign language....

:gpost: :applause: Cloggy!

Trippla was a member here that wanted his CI removed too. Maybe his current name is PACMAN. Maybe one of the mods knows. Anyway, you may want to talk with him.. I know that you two have a lot in common.

Yes TrippLa is aka PacMan.... he claimed his CI works now..after he bumped his head real hard.... he is not telling the whole truth...

Back