I am mad that I have CI *sigh*

A child does not have the cognitive ability to decide for him/herself what it means to have or not have a CI. How can you leave that kind of a decision up to a child? You can't. That's why it's the job of a parent to make that decision *for* the child.

Animal_lover,

I'm sorry that I did not tell you how bad I felt for you, and I can really understand how you feel, right now being an adult and know what you want in life, and having this implanted still inside of you bothers a great deal to you, I cannot say I blame you one minute at all, because it's your body, and I don't think parents has the right to change who you are unless it was something require like life threaten condition and CI is not requirement, it's just a tool to help you hear but, not 100 percent guarantee it'll work for everyone, or a cure to deafness. ;)

GalaxyAngel, I am curious.. did your parents have you implanted with a CI when you were a child?

Actually, My friend who got implanted their CI by Parent forced...
Sadly.. My friend not happy w/this having CI and mainly hard along their parent due so many issues the past.. Right now My friend is okay and happy no longer metal thing inside their head. (Which removed it) due my friend's health sake! (sort of we are raise same school for many years til graduate) I've seen my friend's emotions and frustrate!

My friend had been frustrate and trying focus mapping and much more.. but not work it out... their parent kept continue forcing and pressure.. Until my friend turn 18 yrs old and finally speak it out their RIGHTS! Right now, My friend is alike my age group pretty close!

and also other My Adult friend who got implanted CI last year and happy hear anything sound effective well but not 100% HEAR HEAR PERFECT SOUND.. Just recognized the sounds so many different.... Pretty interesting things what my friend hear... Seems interesting to get know more about CI but love being CI is the best but not... just play around themselves enjoy for fun otherwise reason want to implanted ci due their age already over the hill btw want to GRAB and enjoy hear before die... *roll my eyes up*

I think My Adult friend is :crazy: and laughing! Oh well Not my business...

Your parents love you, thats why they had the CI installed. You must understand that they come from a hearing world and they just wanted you to be happy by being able to experience what they do. I would do the same thing to my children. CI=Love By the way, using a machine for better quality of life is a good thing, not a bad thing.

That's correct! ;)

Hear Again,

There's something I noticed about you those days, You intend to listen to one side,

Not true. Not once have I stated that I agree or disagree with the decision of a parent to implant their child or not. As I said in my previous post, it is up to each parent to decide for themselves what is best for their child whether this means sign, HAs or a CI.

Therefore we are not anti-CI. So knock it off. I'm tired of hearing, "well parents make those decisions because they want what's best for the child" We don't always make the best decisions when it comes in our children's lives, so we trust our parents making right choices for us at the right time? Not always. Cochlear implant is a huge decision, because they have to be the one wearing it permanent for life, so why should the parent make the choice, when they're not the ones wearing it?

Based on the comments I've read on AD, I strongly disagree with your contention that many of you are not anti-CI. When someone comes along and calls CIs a "piece of sh*t" that sounds pretty anti-CI to me.

Yes, children DO trust their parents to make the right decisions for them. In fact, many children are quite happy to have CIs and are grateful to their parents for making the decision to have a CI. At the same time, there are also children who are just as happy with ASL or TC. Don't get me wrong...I'm not advocating for or against CIs. All I'm saying is that it's up to each parent to decide what is best for their child. This could mean a CI, HAs or sign.

Doesn't make no sense to me if you ask me. The differences between hearing aids and cochlear implant is that hearing aids you can take if off anytime, You don't even have to wear them if you don't' want to, You can't do that with cochlear implant, sure you can turn it off, but you can't remove it out from inside your head unless there's another surgery, and you know how risky that can be?

Unless a person experiences health related problems due to the CI (such as tinnitus, dizziness, pain, etc.) I don't see how removing a CI processor is any different from being able to remove a HA if a child does not wish to hear.

That's why I'm all for cochlear implants for those who WANTS it, children cannot make that decision on their own.

I agree. Since children are not mature enough to make the decision to have or not have a CI, why is it wrong for a parent to make this decision for them either way?

I just wish parents would discuss this important issue involves cochlear implant with their child, because it's not a life threatening condition, so what's the rush, what's the hurry?

Why do some deaf people think that just because a parent chooses to give their child an implant that it has to do with their denial of or inability to accept their child's deafness? Why can't the reason be as simple as wanting the child to have every opportunity possible for academic and social success? Having said that, if I had a deaf child, I'd choose to give them a CI, *but* I'd also make sure that they also learned ASL. In my opinion, (as DD has stated before), the more "tools of communication" a child has in their toolbox, the better.

Ahh.... *interesting* Getting there and thin ice what you've gotten into... avoiding and admit what r u trying to say...

Needless, You're AVOIDing all the answer compare
CHILD VS ADULT
by their own POV speak it out emotions stage... *hmmmm*

Thank you rest of you guys whoever not willing do anything more spill your own beans... I got it... I bet you would say YES.... or... nay, I think best for your child the best interest for future.. My answer: Cut that crap!

Just wait and see... when your child turn into TEENAGER stage.. Better prepare yourself!
Wishes you good luck...

Don't dare you press the "Red button" seek for easy way out solution for your future teenager respond you!

I'll be watching you.........

I do approve Teenager/Adult can make their own decision and want to have implant ci.. That's fine by me then their own choice.. but not child! *coughing*

Hey hey.. wait minute.. I have say something to you...
My eyes turn into grinning harder and popped my head "lights on" What should best the interest for my child... Okay.. I want my child go hospital and have remove the Cochlea and become Deaf Child.. That what I wanted best for my child's future grow better Deaf Community!

How do you feel about me? Tell me *press the button debate time*

Yes, children DO trust their parents to make the right decisions for them. In fact, many children are quite happy to have CIs and are grateful to their parents for making the decision to have a CI. At the same time, there are also children who are just as happy with ASL or TC..

How so? Most of those children are one years old, 2, some 5, talk about being happy? They don't know what's going on around them, they will learn some days when they're a little bit older enough to know what cochlear implants are all about and what they have. Don't go on making that comment too soon just yet. ;)

I've watched the movie "sound and fury", I've seen children with CI have no knowledge of signs, and even the parents itself does not even know signs either. WTF is all that all about? Is it really about the child or themselves, You tell me. When I saw that movie it's really about themselves, sorry the truth hurts sometimes. It's a sad movie to watch, even my son told me that he loves me just the way I am wouldn't want to see me change to someone that I'm not. I'm very proud of my son who accepts all type of different people, that's the way it should be, it's a disappointing when I watched that movie I don't see them accepting their children the way they were, being deaf. If I had a deaf child, I would not even think twice about getting a CI, I would found him/her a better future, without a needed of a CI, and if my child wants one, I'll support him/her without doubt. That's what family are suppose to be, get involved, making decisions together, not alone without a child being involved. it's the child's life we are talking about here, it's not about themselves the parents.

Ahh.... *interesting* Getting there and thin ice what you've gotten into... avoiding and admit what r u trying to say...

I've gotten into thin ice? Really? Hmmm...and I thought I was simply responding to your comments.

Needless, You're AVOIDing all the answer compare
CHILD VS ADULT
by their own POV speak it out emotions stage... *hmmmm*

I'm not going to repeat myself. You already know how I feel about this issue -- it's up to the parent to decide -- not the child. A child is *not* an adult and therefore can't make that kind of a decision on his/her own.

Just wait and see... when your child turn into TEENAGER stage.. Better prepare yourself!
Wishes you good luck...

When my child becomes a teenager, I will give him/her the choice to remove their CI and be a part of the Deaf community if that is what they wish, so I don't think I have anything to worry about there. :)

Don't dare you press the "Red button" seek for easy way out solution for your future teenager respond you!

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by this comment. Please explain.

I'll be watching you.........

Ummm. okay.

I do approve Teenager/Adult can make their own decision and want to have implant ci.. That's fine by me then their own choice.. but not child! *coughing*

That's your opinion. I happen to disagree.

Hey hey.. wait minute.. I have say something to you...
My eyes turn into grinning harder and popped my head "lights on" What should best the interest for my child... Okay.. I want my child go hospital and have remove the Cochlea and become Deaf Child.. That what I wanted best for my child's future grow better Deaf Community!

If that's what you want for your child, more power to you! If this is what my child wanted, I would respect his/her wishes.

How do you feel about me? Tell me *press the button debate time*

Don't turn this into something personal. This is a discussion about children and CIs -- nothing more, nothing less.

How so? Most of those children are one years old, 2, some 5, talk about being happy? They don't know what's going on around them, they will learn some days when they're a little bit older enough to know what cochlear implants are all about and what they have. Don't go on making that comment too soon just yet. ;)

Hmmm. I know many children aged 2-5 who understand what the CI is and that it allows them to hear. In fact, I hear many parents talking about how their children *love* their CIs and how the processor is the first thing they reach for in the morning and the last thing they take off at night. Some children even cry when their parents attempt to remove their processor. Now tell me that's a child who doesn't understand the significance of having a CI.

I've watched the movie "sound and fury", I've seen children with CI have no knowledge of signs, and even the parents itself does not even know signs either. WTF is all that all about? Is it really about the child or themselves, You tell me. When I saw that movie it's really about themselves, sorry the truth hurts sometimes. It's a sad movie to watch, even my son told me that he loves me just the way I am wouldn't want to see me change to someone that I'm not.

You're right. I've seen the same thing myself and it is indeed very sad -- and inexcuseable. As I said in an earlier message, there is no excuse for a child with a CI not to have *some* knowledge of sign -- even if they don't end up using it after their CI is activated. When parents refuse to learn sign (whether their deaf child has a CI or not), I think that's the utimate display of selfishness. :( If I have a deaf child, I can promise you this: my child and I will have the ability to communicate in sign as well as speech.

Parents who choose to implant their child aren't changing the identity of their children. After all, they are still deaf. A CI does not make a child hearing.

I'm very proud of my son who accepts all type of different people, that's the way it should be, it's a disappointing when I watched that movie I don't see them accepting their children the way they were, being deaf.

I think it's just as important for deaf people to accept children and adults with CIs. If I respect your decision not to have a CI, I would hope that you would respect my decision to have my child implanted.

On a somewhat related topic, if you had a child who was visually impaired, would you not do everything you could to give them surgery to help restore their eyesight? If so, how is that any different from a parent choosing to give their child an implant?

If I had a deaf child, I would not even think twice about getting a CI, I would found him/her a better future, without a needed of a CI, and if my child wants one, I'll support him/her without doubt.

That is your decision -- and one I respect 100%.

That's what family are suppose to be, get involved, making decisions together, not alone without a child being involved. it's the child's life we are talking about here, it's not about themselves the parents.

When a parent decides to give their child an implant, many of them are thinking of the best interest of their child -- not their own.

HEAR AGAIN is right on the mark. I believe those against CIs for children are a very selfish(I know I'm gonna get a lashing for this). Parents want to give their child every opportunity in this world by providing them with all the tools necessary. When your child is old enough to make a descision about this then they can have it removed. I can't understand why anyone would not want to do everything they could for their child? Whats wrong with having CIs and learning sign language, how can having both hurt? Hearing is not a bad thing!

HEAR AGAIN is right on the mark. I believe those against CIs for children are a very selfish

How so? Just because I believe in a child's voice to be heard, and their opinion counts on choices they want to make when it comes to their body? That doesn't sound selfish to me. Don't get soo confused with yourself, I'm on the child's side when it comes to decisions like that, because they're the ones wearing it for life, not the parents. Thank you very much. :)

cdaigle430 said:
When your child is old enough to make a descision about this then they can have it removed.

It's not that easy as the way you sound it out to be, there's risk involved. Don't make it sounds like it's an easy way out, when it's not.

cdaigle430 said:
Whats wrong with having CIs and learning sign language, how can having both hurt? Hearing is not a bad thing!

There's nothing wrong with children learning both, but when I watched the movie I already stated on my above post, none of those children knew signs not one. and being deaf isn't a bad thing either. ;)

Hear Again said:
You're right. I've seen the same thing myself and it is indeed very sad -- and inexcuseable. As I said in an earlier message, there is no excuse for a child with a CI not to have *some* knowledge of sign -- even if they don't end up using it after their CI is activated. When parents refuse to learn sign (whether their deaf child has a CI or not), I think that's the utimate display of selfishness. If I have a deaf child, I can promise you this: my child and I will have the ability to communicate in sign as well as speech.

I agree, at least we have something to agree on. ;)
Hear Again said:
I think it's just as important for deaf people to accept children and adults with CIs. If I respect your decision not to have a CI, I would hope that you would respect my decision to have my child implanted.
Why is it important that I have to accept it? I just feel bad for the child because the child never know it's own deaf culture, because not all parents involves or socially themselves along with their CI child with other deaf people in the deaf community. I've seen some says, there's no needed for their child to be involvement with it's community when the child now has a CI, should only be part of the other world, What's wrong with both worlds? That's the major point of why I don't agree with that. You can't just take away the child's history, really the child is deaf, so what's wrong with learning about it's culture too? I don't see why there's a problem with that.

Hear Again said:
On a somewhat related topic, if you had a child who was visually impaired, would you not do everything you could to give them surgery to help restore their eyesight? If so, how is that any different from a parent choosing to give their child an implant?

No, I would not give my child eyesight that would make me the most selfish parent who cannot accept my child being blind. I can't do it and I won't do it either unless my child wants to see, I''ll support my child's choice and decisions.

In my opinion,

Your parents gave you a gift and opportunities....
It didn't work out for you, so it's up to you to stop using it.

But I would not hold it against your parents that you have CI. They took a difficult decision and they did it out of love for you. Understand their side that they want you to keep using it.

BTW, do you use sign? Do your parents use sign?

You said "...... but ill get it off when i am done with my college..." does that mean that you are still wearing / using CI? Or do you mean that you will take it out??

How dare you blame a child that was implanted at the age of 4 for the failure of the CI!! Will you not stop at anything to justify your own decisions and point of view?

Your parents love you, thats why they had the CI installed. You must understand that they come from a hearing world and they just wanted you to be happy by being able to experience what they do. I would do the same thing to my children. CI=Love By the way, using a machine for better quality of life is a good thing, not a bad thing.

CI=Love????:wtf: That implies that parents who opt for other options don't love their children.

HEAR AGAIN is right on the mark. I believe those against CIs for children are a very selfish(I know I'm gonna get a lashing for this). Parents want to give their child every opportunity in this world by providing them with all the tools necessary. When your child is old enough to make a descision about this then they can have it removed. I can't understand why anyone would not want to do everything they could for their child? Whats wrong with having CIs and learning sign language, how can having both hurt? Hearing is not a bad thing!

Those parents who refuse to make the effort to adapt to their child's communication problems and opt for the easiest way for the parents are the selfish ones. If you think that spending years learning another language, relocating to ensure that a child has exposure to the deaf community, and fighting the audist attitude of educators, ENTs, and audiologists just to ensure that your child grows up with a positive self identity is selfish, you really have no idea what you are talking about. Hearing is not a bad thing--neither is Deaf!!!!

Being hearing myself, I can understand how deaf people feel in alot of ways on this subject. But what some hearing parents problem is. It should be up to the child later on in life with they would want this CI surgery. Some hearing parents do it just so they don't have to learn ASL or the child to learn it? Wrong, either way the child is gonna need to learn ASL. The CI is not as good as it should be. It will never be the same for hearing like me. I can understand also how exciting it is for deaf people to hear little sounds hear & there. Those same sounds are sometime annoying to hearing people like me LoL:lol: But anyways really,.The cost of the CI I don't think is worth it at all for what little hearing it gives to deaf people.

Exactly jillo I agree with all this & the other posts ya made. That is very very selfish of the parents. I have 2 kids if they was deaf I would deal with all the things they have to go through & learn when it comes to being deaf. Not a problem & be there for them all the way like they need us hearing or not!!

Those parents who refuse to make the effort to adapt to their child's communication problems and opt for the easiest way for the parents are the selfish ones. If you think that spending years learning another language, relocating to ensure that a child has exposure to the deaf community, and fighting the audist attitude of educators, ENTs, and audiologists just to ensure that your child grows up with a positive self identity is selfish, you really have no idea what you are talking about. Hearing is not a bad thing--neither is Deaf!!!!

Being hearing myself, I can understand how deaf people feel in alot of ways on this subject. But what some hearing parents problem is. It should be up to the child later on in life with they would want this CI surgery. Some hearing parents do it just so they don't have to learn ASL or the child to learn it? Wrong, either way the child is gonna need to learn ASL. The CI is not as good as it should be. It will never be the same for hearing like me. I can understand also how exciting it is for deaf people to hear little sounds hear & there. Those same sounds are sometime annoying to hearing people like me LoL:lol: But anyways really,.The cost of the CI I don't think is worth it at all for what little hearing it gives to deaf people.

QFT .. waste of money/item if one grow up and throw it away. If one person want to have CI because he/she want to be like hearing.. i feel sorry for that person. However if one person want to have CI because he/she enjoy the music/hearing sounds without tortuing him/herself thru countless speech therapy, this is one i dont have problem with. For further reference, IMO means IN MY OWN OPINION.

I think it's equally important that you accept the choice of parents who choose to implant their children instead of regarding their decision as "sad" or "unfortunate" (descriptions I've seen expressed in another thread). There is no right or wrong when it comes to CIs and children. Each parent must decide for themselves what is best for *their* child.

Oh yes, we respect the parent´s decision because it´s their child, not ours but I see nothing wrong to express our feeling what we think of parent´s decision to implant babies/toddlers with CI without judge the parents. All what I want every parents LISTEN cons/pros on both sides and also expression/experiences before they make their decision.

I noticed that although some hearing parents mentioned that they don't need to teach their children sign language anymore, because the child now can hear with the use of their implants...It makes me sad to see this happening and what if the child doesn't wear their implant how is the parents going to communicate with the deaf child? and not learning how to sign in order to communicate with their deaf child..Perhaps they think a deaf child no longer needed the use of sign language,.but I was impressed to know that there are other hearing parents that still do communicate in sign language with their deaf child..Just because a child have implants it doesn't mean they should stop signing but rather to only have them speak and listen...I thought this goes both ways, you want a child that can hear, but what about the child needs too?....

*nodding sadly*

Even if the parents choose to implant their children after listening to the Deaf community, their decisions have to be respected. I have no doubt that most of them love their children.

I always hope that they'll learn sign as well as speech because the outcome with CIs does vary a bit.

However, I can not control what the parents choose to do for their children. I just hope they'll choose wisely.

Back