I am mad that I have CI *sigh*

So your parents had high expectations from u to be "hearing" or there were other issues (u dont have to tell us)?

Another AD here talked about how her family disowned her cuz she is deaf. I find that SICK SICK! I know parents mean well but sometimes they dont get it about deafness. It is not the end of the world. I hope not to be that kind of parent to my children...the kind that doesnt "get it".

I am sorry about the pain u have to go thru. U sound like a very intelligent person who has a lot to offer. :)

Well, My parents want me to have nice better life in future..and yea i think they want me to be hearing..
I'm not sure of another issue because they just want things to make me do better or get better..
I know about few deaf ppl who have parents who disown them because i am in deaf school..i know their feeling..
Hehe, i am not intelligent person but i think i use my common sense or so :D

So your parents had high expectations from u to be "hearing" or there were other issues (u dont have to tell us)?

Another AD here talked about how her family disowned her cuz she is deaf.

She got disowned because she is deaf???!!! GOLLY! What kind of people would disown her for being deaf? :eek3: :shock:

There was another user here that had the same situation and started a thread about it. His name was TrippLA but I think he changed it. I was looking through my posts but I couldnt find it. I will post it here when I do because there was also some good comments in there that may pertain to your situation.

Well, first of all i am he not she..
second of all, my didnt fail..it success and i did speak good and hear good but i dont feel right about this..because it make me not being myself..
I fought my parents for my right not to wear it for LONG time because they dont want me to waste my 14years experince of practing speech and listening.. I dont care about that..
I didnt want that.. they want that..
they also told me that i am one of few deaf ppl can speak good and dont waste it plz..i said so I dont care if i am one of few deaf ppl who can speak good..

Well you are still quite young and I presume you haven't had the experience of seeking employment yet and it's handy to be able to hear and speak for that. I would put off your decision for a few more years because people change a lot from teenage years to their twenties and thirties as they go through more life experiences. It sounds like you are going through a common teenage stage where you are rejecting many of the things to do with your parents. That is quite normal but just be aware that your feelings will continue to evolve and change as you get older.

I hope that doesn't come across condescending in any way just because you are young. I've just learned this from experience - I am a completely different person now in my 30s than when I was a teenager. It would just be a shame to cut off your options by having surgery to take the CI out right now, which is basically only a symbollic rather than physically life enhancing act.

I never had formal speech therapy and I think I can understand why you would rebel against all of that. It does sound hard work!

Yea,...
but my parents dont do that to me..
But ill do that to my family..
Ill leave them behind and move on..

That's such a shame. It sounds to me as if your parents really do care about you even though they obviously have the perspective of hearing people. :( I think you need to find a way of forgiving them rather than cutting them off.

Life will get hard as you get older and family is an important resource to fall back on in hard times. Don't throw that away but rather seek ways to communicate with them by going to a family therapist if at all possible.

Cloggy,

I understand your situation. You have to weigh two things: putting a machine in your child's head versus allowing your child to remain deaf.

From the perspective that the hearing world is more beneficial (in any way) than the deaf world, someone would choose the CI.

If not, then ask yourself, why even consider a CI in the first place?

However, go a step further and think about the pros and cons.

Consider your child in the future - perhaps fulfilling more potential in the hearing world, but potentially disturbed that he/she has a machine in his/her head.

What if your child wants to be a scuba diver (below 100 meters) or an astronaut? What about possibilities that cannot be fulfilled now because of the CI?

What if your child eventually feels like others modified his/her body in a way that is irreversible except through intensive surgery?

A greater love might be to consider the child's feelings rather than yours. Is it you, rather, that is afraid that the child won't be able to accomplish as much in the deaf world versus the hearing world?

Are you afraid that your child's intelligence will be lower as a consequence of being deaf? Look at me, I have been 100% deaf since 2 years old, but I score higher on standardized tests than 99.99% of the nation.

Intelligence can be relative to how the child is raised, methods of being taught, and the creativity and intelligence of the parents themselves.

I was given a CI on the left side when I was 3 years old, and a CI on the right side when I was 16 years old. Most of it was my parent's decision rather than mine, yet it was my own body.

I was never able to distinguish consonants and vowels apart from each other. Yet my parents did it "out of love" in their own best interests, thinking it would also be in my own best interest.

But I enjoy being deaf. There is nothing wrong with it. If my CI allowed me to distinguish between consonants and vowels, maybe I would've seen the benefits, and enjoyed life more, but in the end it would've limited me in other ways and still been an imposing of their will on my body that may as well be irreversible.

The benefits of hearing may be numerous, but is it worth a child being used in a way that is irreversible?

You'll hear many deaf children being very happy with their CI - but you also have to think about the child's feelings about having a CI in the body, whether it's had positive or negative results.

I can tell you that I wish my parents had never forced a CI into my body, and let me make the decision at a later age despite what the doctors say that putting in a CI is more likely to be successful at a young age.

Because then it would've been my own decision, not theirs. It would've been my own decision about my own body.

Listen to what a deaf child (your child) may have to say, more than what the parent (you) think. Respect how the child may feel and let the child find acceptance through being deaf; if the child wishes to have a CI later, let the child do it at an age when he/she is capable of making an educated decision.

This is my point of view, as well as that of many deaf children and adults out there. Which would be the greater love: to listen to them or to listen to yourself?

:gpost: !!! That was an awesome post!!!

Well you are still quite young and I presume you haven't had the experience of seeking employment yet and it's handy to be able to hear and speak for that. I would put off your decision for a few more years because people change a lot from teenage years to their twenties and thirties as they go through more life experiences. It sounds like you are going through a common teenage stage where you are rejecting many of the things to do with your parents. That is quite normal but just be aware that your feelings will continue to evolve and change as you get older.

I hope that doesn't come across condescending in any way just because you are young. I've just learned this from experience - I am a completely different person now in my 30s than when I was a teenager. It would just be a shame to cut off your options by having surgery to take the CI out right now, which is basically only a symbollic rather than physically life enhancing act.

I never had formal speech therapy and I think I can understand why you would rebel against all of that. It does sound hard work!

I used to have a job when i was 16.. but i quited.. another job want me but i refuse to work there.. I still can find the job without hearing.. there is always the way..
Yes i rebel a lot thing that relate to mankind thing..

That's such a shame. It sounds to me as if your parents really do care about you even though they obviously have the perspective of hearing people. :( I think you need to find a way of forgiving them rather than cutting them off.

Life will get hard as you get older and family is an important resource to fall back on in hard times. Don't throw that away but rather seek ways to communicate with them by going to a family therapist if at all possible.

nah, u dont know my family's history..
My dad dont like me because of who i am and
My mom isnt the mom what mom should do..
and i hasnt talk to my brother for like 5 years and yes we live in same house but we dont talk to each other
that is reason why i am leaving because it like i dont exist there..

Animal Lover, Perhaps R2D2 is right. Maybe you should speak with a professional counsler.

Shel90 said:
the parents should give up some of THEIR time to learn sign language and learn to put themselves in their child's shoes.

I agree!!

Please forgive my manner here, I forgot to add that I'm sorry that you are not happy with your CI Animal_Lover, hope that you will find a way to have it removed, and I do know every surgery involves risk but I wish you all the best!!

I agree!!

Please forgive my manner here, I forgot to add that I'm sorry that you are not happy with your CI Animal_Lover, hope that you will find a way to have it removed, and I do know every surgery involves risk but I wish you all the best!!

no?
I dont know who is TrippLA?
can u tell me who he/she is?
Trippla was a member here that wanted his CI removed too. Maybe his current name is PACMAN. Maybe one of the mods knows. Anyway, you may want to talk with him.. I know that you two have a lot in common.

Trippla was a member here that wanted his CI removed too. Maybe his current name is PACMAN. Maybe one of the mods knows. Anyway, you may want to talk with him.. I know that you two have a lot in common.

really? how u know if he is Pacman?
hmm i dont know a lot about him..
we will see what happen! :D

In my opinion,

Your parents gave you a gift and opportunities....
It didn't work out for you, so it's up to you to stop using it.

But I would not hold it against your parents that you have CI. They took a difficult decision and they did it out of love for you. Understand their side that they want you to keep using it.

BTW, do you use sign? Do your parents use sign?

You said "...... but ill get it off when i am done with my college..." does that mean that you are still wearing / using CI? Or do you mean that you will take it out??

No It is the doctor who gave her a lousy gift and opportunities. Parents are naive and didn't know what is the best for her. Of course they love her so much. I don't blame on her parents but it is so sad that they were "brainwashed" by the doctors. The doctors would have given them a plenty options like -- learning ASL, Deaf school, Hearing aid, CI etc etc .. allow her parents to decide to explore the many different options -- but blame on doctor to focus on one thing is CI. It is because of $$$$$$. CI is not an 100% miracle but it can benefit for some people. That kid was only 4 years old at the time. In my experience .. I was unable to voice for myself and didnt have any choice but was forced to be mainstreamed in the public hearing school with no support services etc ... bec of the doctors and the town due to $$ and I speak pretty well!

Last edited:
Back