I am mad that I have CI *sigh*

I think people should see both sides of the CI debate.
I find they push it more for parents of deaf children because theys say that they will be more successful.

Up to date the most successful CI users were born deaf/HOH. Were helped with hearing aids growing up, then their hearing grew progressively worse and they moved to CI. They also are the kind of deaf who could articulate what they wanted so if anyhthing does go wrong with their CI they won't be the sort of people who would suffer for long through lack of communication skills.

So far the CI failures have been mainly people with poor communication skills. My friend K was exposed to sound growing up but she was following a strictly oral only aproach that her dad imposed on her. She could speak but there were problems with commuication. When I was at college with her the staff found it way easier to give oral communication a miss and use the deafblind manual. Anyway the last time I heard from her she got a CI. She seemed to be having problems with it and it put me off CI big time. After learning more about how these machines work I suspect it wasn't the CI itself that she had problems with. It was an incorectly set mapping.

So to benifit most from CI you need:
1. To have been born with some useful hearing that was at some point correctable with hearing aids even if it was just environmental noises. (I think that covers the majority of deaf people).
2. Good communication skills. So you can pin point exactly what sound is comfortable for you and benifit from an apropriately set mapping by giving feedback. Also letting people know when something goes wrong. (this would rule out most deaf infants which Ironically enough are supposed to be the ones to gain most benift)
3. The right mindset. If you see CI's as a cure you will fail. If you see it as a useful piece of tecnology which will help you regain some access to sound you are more likely to be happy with the end result.

animal lover....you state that you want to be vegan, and compeltely as nature had intended you....

then i assume you run around naked and sleep under trees right? you mention college....college is a mankind thing, not a nature thing. i certainly hope you aren't driving a car around, as you are destroying the very thing you claim you want. also, did you research where you house was built, some piece of nature was destroyed to make room for your house.

hippy is short for hippocrit

:topic:

how is this relevant to this thread? just because animal lover wants his ci removed, doesn't mean you can trash him. respect goes both ways.

I agree with some of it but not all. I don't know that anyone can predict the success or failure based on anything. It's just like most things in life where there are never any guarantees.

I agree with your post as well rockdrummer. I know someone who was born profoundly Deaf that received a CI. She could not speak, but is now able to talk and hear on the phone. Each of us is different and having residual hearing does not always mean one will do well. As deafdude has pointed out before, some CI users who had enough hearing to benefit from hearing aids aren't doing much better with a CI (although part of this may be due to high expectations).

Thanks Hear again and Daredevil.

I think a profound hearing loss and no useful hearing are two differant things. Some profoundly deaf can benifit from really powerful aids.

I agree though that some deaf people who have had useful hearing then get CI's don't do too well. Maybe due to high expectations or poor communication. I think that's why K's implant didn't work. Plus in K's case it may not have been her choice to get them in the first place. She was cronalogically over 18 but I got the feeling she did still let her family rule her life.

I agree that parents should give their child an implant if they need it from an early age, but once your become a teen you have the choice whether to wear it or not. You shouldnt hate your parents because of this, they did what they though was right at the time. I am sorry you have grown up to hate it. I hope you will have it removed soon. Best of luck

Hey, I am understanding your story....

I was born full deaf. Long time ago, I was twenty years old, I gave up one right hearing aid because I can't hear any sound a lot of buzz ; too low sound and some people told me that they can hear my hearing aid was feedback a lot . They were too much bother me. I knew I can't hear feedback my right ear (nothing). My mother forced to me about right hearing aid. I was very patience (long waiting) until my mother and my father decided to move to Portugal. I am staying in Canada. I did QUIT my right hearing aid forever!

Animal Lover, YES, you are very patience very long waiting, until you will free without your parents' home. Good Luck to ask your doctor take it off your head.

I agree that parents should give their child an implant if they need it from an early age, but once your become a teen you have the choice whether to wear it or not. You shouldnt hate your parents because of this, they did what they though was right at the time. I am sorry you have grown up to hate it. I hope you will have it removed soon. Best of luck
:gpost:

Back