Gallaudet University's Official Language

Thank you, TXgolfer.

Non-voice? Meaning?

I had heard you were not supposed to speak on campus. I don't no if they were serious or kidding. Not trying to be insensitive there......I some don't have the option of speaking.

I had heard you were not supposed to speak on campus. I don't no if they were serious or kidding. Not trying to be insensitive there......I some don't have the option of speaking.

I've used my voice many times. I think you meant during class?

What got me disappointed was that I couldn't take a foreign language class there and learn how to speak it and listen to the sound. I had to buy my own tape and practice it that way on my own time in my dorm. Not much of an option they have.

then foreign language classes at Gallaudet Univ. isn't for you so try take this course at hearing college.

I'm going to Gally in next Jan and I'm heavily ASL user with very little oral language. ASL Rocks.

No, what I heard was campus wide......but that didn't seem possible. That is why I asked.

Most people sign, if not all of them. But that doesn't mean you cannot use your voice. I certainly won't leave the campus just to have a phone conversation with my cell phone. Or talk to people who prefer to talk or don't know how to sign.

then foreign language classes at Gallaudet Univ. isn't for you so try take this course at hearing college.

I'm going to Gally in next Jan and I'm heavily ASL user with very little oral language. ASL Rocks.

Too late, I already took them at Gallaudet.

Too late, I already took them at Gallaudet.

Well, toobad if you took this course and teacher don't speak foreign language in oral.

Gallaudet Univ. is deaf university so not all of them able to speak foreign language in oral, neither I do.

Well, toobad if you took this course and teacher don't speak foreign language in oral.

Gallaudet Univ. is deaf university so not all of them able to speak foreign language in oral, neither I do.

The teacher was hearing. She was fluent in speaking French.

Too bad, they should have at least that option.

There were no professors that did not sign while I was there. There was, however, a specific professor that refused to teach hearing students.

whoa that's just plain damn mean.

another question - do you mean that professor refuse to teach hearing students who CAN'T sign or is it simply because they're hearing?

whoa that's just plain damn mean.

another question - do you mean that professor refuse to teach hearing students who CAN'T sign or is it simply because they're hearing?

I had lunch with him and was able to ask that very thing (I was thrown off too when he said it). He hates the hearing .. period ... and refuses to teach them. It did not matter to him if they could sign or not. He intentionally avoided the hearing professors (felt they had no place on campus).

I could sort of empathize with him regarding a few hearing professors. The only problems I ever experienced at Gallaudet were from hearing professors. Those hearing professors are why I chose to leave. (not ALL hearing professors, just a select 2 or 3).

However, I do not hate them or refuse to get along with hearing people. He had some deep resentment and I wish I had asked him why he felt that way.

I have some deep resentment over attorneys who refuse to provide ASL interpreters and scoff and mock ADA law. I am a borderline attorney hater over that very issue. ;)

I had lunch with him and was able to ask that very thing (I was thrown off too when he said it). He hates the hearing .. period ... and refuses to teach them. It did not matter to him if they could sign or not. He intentionally avoided the hearing professors (felt they had no place on campus).

I could sort of empathize with him regarding a few hearing professors. The only problems I ever experienced at Gallaudet were from hearing professors. Those hearing professors are why I chose to leave. (not ALL hearing professors, just a select 2 or 3).

However, I do not hate them or refuse to get along with hearing people. He had some deep resentment and I wish I had asked him why he felt that way.

I have some deep resentment over attorneys who refuse to provide ASL interpreters and scoff and mock ADA law. I am a borderline attorney hater over that very issue. ;)

Yeah I don't get people like that....

I want to be an attorney, and I'm deaf, currently learning ASL! So you won't need an interpreter to see me. :lol:

That's unnecessary in my opinion, to hate the hearing professors. They might not be Deaf/deaf/HOH or whatever, but some of them might genuinely be interested in ASL and Deaf culture. Similar to how we have people studying hieroglyphics in Egypt or teaching in a foreign country in another language. They do not have to have some agenda or wish to "save" the Deaf. I don't have a problem with them, so long as they do not believe they are our saviors or anything of that sort.

If he refused to teach a HUG at Gally, what did he do? Like did he request to have the student transferred to another class? Because that would just be ridiculous. My boyfriend is hearing and said if he got the opportunity to go to Gally with me, that would be pretty cool and he would love that (though we both know it won't happen, it was a hypothetical conversation).

If you don't mind me asking, what problems did you have with the hearing professors there? I know you have to have a working knowledge of ASL to go to school there--though I'm aware of the exceptions--but what about the professors? They are probably required to be fluent, would they not?

I want to be an attorney, and I'm deaf, currently learning ASL! So you won't need an interpreter to see me. :lol:

Fantastic news!!! We need more attorneys who comply with ADA Law!!!

That's unnecessary in my opinion, to hate the hearing professors. They might not be Deaf/deaf/HOH or whatever, but some of them might genuinely be interested in ASL and Deaf culture. Similar to how we have people studying hieroglyphics in Egypt or teaching in a foreign country in another language. They do not have to have some agenda or wish to "save" the Deaf. I don't have a problem with them, so long as they do not believe they are our saviors or anything of that sort.

If he refused to teach a HUG at Gally, what did he do? Like did he request to have the student transferred to another class? Because that would just be ridiculous. My boyfriend is hearing and said if he got the opportunity to go to Gally with me, that would be pretty cool and he would love that (though we both know it won't happen, it was a hypothetical conversation).

If you don't mind me asking, what problems did you have with the hearing professors there? I know you have to have a working knowledge of ASL to go to school there--though I'm aware of the exceptions--but what about the professors? They are probably required to be fluent, would they not?

The problems I had with the hearing professors was their inclination to indoctrinate. Of course, not ALL hearing professors did this. With the exception of the one deaf professor stating he refused to teach hearing students, most of the deaf professors I had were reasonably tolerant of differences of opinion. The professors I had a problem with were those who took **personal opinion** and taught it as fact. They also graded papers accordingly with if you agreed with their **personal opinion** or not.

As I recall, there was a deaf professor who tried using this strategy and her entire class just left. They just got up and left the classroom and never came back (happened twice as I recall to the same professor). It never worked with the hearing professors that used the same strategy (of course the classes they taught were **required** and only offered every two years).

only written? and sign language?

Written and ASL

Even they taught some foreign literature courses which were either elective or required based on major, after we completed our foreign language courses.

I guess any language that's not English is considered an official language at Gallaudet. :dunno:

As far as I know, there is no official language at Gallaudet University. It means we can use oral, ASL, PSE, SEE, cued speech, AUSLAN and etc. on campus except classrooms.

The problems I had with the hearing professors was their inclination to indoctrinate. Of course, not ALL hearing professors did this. With the exception of the one deaf professor stating he refused to teach hearing students, most of the deaf professors I had were reasonably tolerant of differences of opinion. The professors I had a problem with were those who took **personal opinion** and taught it as fact. They also graded papers accordingly with if you agreed with their **personal opinion** or not.

As I recall, there was a deaf professor who tried using this strategy and her entire class just left. They just got up and left the classroom and never came back (happened twice as I recall to the same professor). It never worked with the hearing professors that used the same strategy (of course the classes they taught were **required** and only offered every two years).

Indoctrinate with what? Personal opinions about what? (I'm so curious!)

Same thing happened to a Sociology prof at a school here. Went to her department head first.....all the department head said was "we love her" All but like 3 people withdrew from the class. She didn't have enough students for her sections to make the following semester.

I know almost nothing about Gally (that's why I came in here) I had heard it was a non voice campus....is that true?

Nope, it is not true.

Supposedly it is true, I could not imagine to see hearing people sign to each other awkwardly on the campus. :giggle:

During my time at Gally, everybody signed, lipread and spoke whatever they wanted to, although ASL was widely used.

It got me very curious! Care to PM about this professor? Name? I think this professor should not taught at Gally, period.

Indoctrinate with what? Personal opinions about what? (I'm so curious!)

All I will say, without stirring up a whole lot of controversy, is ... politics do not belong in the classroom , unless you are studying something related to politics. If you are not studying a course topic related to politics, then **personal bias** has nothing to do with the subject matter.

Back