Gallaudet University's Official Language

It got me very curious! Care to PM about this professor? Name? I think this professor should not taught at Gally, period.

I would be willing to give you information on other students who took these classes. But, calling out a professor's name public or private can get me in a whole lot of hot water. I hope you understand.

All I will say, without stirring up a whole lot of controversy, is ... politics do not belong in the classroom , unless you are studying something related to politics. If you are not studying a course topic related to politics, then **personal bias** has nothing to do with the subject matter.

Politics, eh? Personal bias, eh? Vague, eh? :D

Politics, eh? Personal bias, eh? Vague, eh? :D

At this time, I want to be as vague as possible as to whom it is. Maybe they have changed since I attended? Maybe they "evolved"?

edit: Keep in mind, it is not a common occurrence, and there are many professors at Gallaudet that oppose what is being done. However, this uncommon occurrence happened to me, and I decided to seek my education elsewhere. I will not tolerate being intimidated or harassed or having my arm twisted in order to "protect" a professor who was doing something wrong.

BTW - is Jane Fernandes president of Gallaudet? ;)

Nope, it is not true.

Supposedly it is true, I could not imagine to see hearing people sign to each other awkwardly on the campus. :giggle:

During my time at Gally, everybody signed, lipread and spoke whatever they wanted to, although ASL was widely used.

Well, there are a few yahoos who would go to the length and get people to not talk on their cell phones on campus during their own personal time and privacy.

There are a few of those kinds of extremist nuts anywhere.

Like a white KKK attending a NAACP conference telling them such and such.
Or a covert religion recruiter at a bar stating the comings of Revelation and what is a sin to do.
Or an anti-presidential candidate telling voters not to vote for so-and-so at a rally.
A honda salesman walking in civilian clothes at the Toyota dealership.

Plenty of 'em around anywhere, can't have a perfect world with free speech. Only thing you can do is ignore it or respect culture/tradition of where you are at and tend to matters respectively.

Well, there are a few yahoos who would go to the length and get people to not talk on their cell phones on campus during their own personal time and privacy.

Wasn't there a big thread about whether or not it was ok for two deaf people to have a private conversation in spoken language at Gallaudet??? And wasn't the loudest opinion that it was NOT ok??

There are a few of those kinds of extremist nuts anywhere.

Like a white KKK attending a NAACP conference telling them such and such.
Or a covert religion recruiter at a bar stating the comings of Revelation and what is a sin to do.
Or an anti-presidential candidate telling voters not to vote for so-and-so at a rally.
A honda salesman walking in civilian clothes at the Toyota dealership.

Plenty of 'em around anywhere, can't have a perfect world with free speech. Only thing you can do is ignore it or respect culture/tradition of where you are at and tend to matters respectively.

:werd:

I would just walk up behind them and read their conversations on the tty :giggle:

Oh, they LOVED that.

Some people who like to be rude to others cannot stand it when someone is being rude to them.

As far as I know, there is no official language at Gallaudet University. It means we can use oral, ASL, PSE, SEE, cued speech, AUSLAN and etc. on campus except classrooms.

classrooms.... that would be ASL?

as for those who are not ASL-fluent yet... are there accommodation/interpreter provided for?

Wasn't there a big thread about whether or not it was ok for two deaf people to have a private conversation in spoken language at Gallaudet??? And wasn't the loudest opinion that it was NOT ok??

Yes. It seemed to have been the consensus at the time.

as for those who are not ASL-fluent yet... are there accommodation/interpreter provided for?

I wonder the same thing--I know you are required to have a "working knowledge of ASL" if you are a transfer/visiting/international student. They have camps and workshops for freshmen, so that they would start school with a "working knowledge," but I wonder what happens if they don't know enough ASL?

Language of instruction is ASL. There are remedial classes offered for those whose ASL is not at the level it needs to be to function in that atmosphere.

A friend told me that there were two professors who were hearing, knew little or no signs, and used an interpreter during classes. Gallaudet simply could not find professors who were fluent signers to fulfill those positions.

I was kind of shocked.

A friend told me that there were two professors who were hearing, knew little or no signs, and used an interpreter during classes. Gallaudet simply could not find professors who were fluent signers to fulfill those positions.

I was kind of shocked.

and what do they teach? what areas? that is interesting i mean it could explain a few things...

I was kind of shocked.

Well, imagine how shocked I was when I found out that my deaf school employed two hearing teachers who knew nada Auslan and the school have had to hire two F/T terps for those teachers until the said teachers developed an skill in Auslan.

One thing I can say is that the Dept of Education were none too happy when they realised they had to foot the bills for two interpreters.

Well, imagine how shocked I was when I found out that my deaf school employed two hearing teachers who knew nada Auslan and the school have had to hire two F/T terps for those teachers until the said teachers developed an skill in Auslan.

One thing I can say is that the Dept of Education were none too happy when they realised they had to foot the bills for two interpreters.

good for them. Each time a deaf school don't hire someone who know ASL, people ought to hire a interpreter.

I was kind of shocked.

Yeah in 1990 I had an teacher who didn't know ASL at all and used the interpreter. It was freaking weird for me!! Teacher was no longer working there after one year because teacher was suppose to learn ASL within a year but the teacher didn't bother to.

I do not remember If i got a good grade from the teacher. :hmm: I even can't remember if the teacher was women or male but i was so sure it was a male. LOL Because i was focusing on the interpreter and the interpreter was female.

Royale might know about it??? damn i can't remember what course I took it. I was only 19 yrs old. :o

I had a deaf teacher who had an interpreter because he was suffering from carpal tunnel.

Back