Gallaudet University's Official Language

Jiro

If You Know What I Mean
Premium Member
Reaction score
curious but humor me - what's the official language at Gallaudet University? does it have one? if not - what is its de facto language?

If my memory serves me correctly, there is no official language at Gally.

If my memory serves me correctly, there is no official language at Gally.

what about de facto language? what is the language that majority of Gally students/faculty use?

In 1990 or 1991, the Student Congress passed the bill to recognize ASL as an official language of Gally.

I was the one that put down my name as a seconder in this said motion.

Then the SBG President Terry Wilding who came from the 8th generation Deaf family, vetoed the bill and clearly explained to us why he did veto it. Many of the Student Congress representatives accepted his explanation and the others agreed to disagree with it.

I even offered to work with Terry to find a compromise which would be a win-win situation for Gally.

what about de facto language? what is the language that majority of Gally students/faculty use?

The majority of students and faculty use ASL, but the question is how fluent and skilled they are in ASL.

ah interesting, Royale. Sorry to hear that it got vetoed.

The majority of students and faculty use ASL, but the question is how fluent and skilled they are in ASL.

ah. but for others - Gallaudet University does provide translations/interpreters for those who do not know ASL or not fluent in ASL?

Well, it is a gov't funding school (I think???) for the deaf, and I think they want anyone to come.

What about students from outside the US? How are they accommodated?

Wonder how that transition goes :hmm:

What about students from outside the US? How are they accommodated?

Wonder how that transition goes :hmm:

my gally friend (an ADer here too) amylovechina came here from China... with no knowledge of ASL. now she knows ASL. I suppose that it's same as hearing colleges - foreign student should know basic english.

my gally friend (an ADer here too) amylovechina came here from China... with no knowledge of ASL. now she knows ASL. I suppose that it's same as hearing colleges - foreign student should know basic english.

Oh yeah? That's interesting.
Does she know Chinese SL? Actually I'm not even sure what sign language they use over there..

Oh yeah? That's interesting.
Does she know Chinese SL? Actually I'm not even sure what sign language they use over there..

yea there's chinese SL but I'll ask her to make sure

this is deaf Taiwanese movie

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3D4WhIxkMk]YouTube - Hear Me [Movie] ?? - English Sub [1/11][/ame]

That was a bit cheesy.. :lol: Damn Jay Zhou backgrounds.

Pretty interesting on their SL. Wonder if Taiwanese and Chinese have the same thing. :hmm:

ah. but for others - Gallaudet University does provide translations/interpreters for those who do not know ASL or not fluent in ASL?

They have programs called New Signers Program (NSP) for non-signers and ESL (English Secondary Language) for foreign Deaf students.

They also have ELI (English Language Institute) for those who cannot pass the EPT (English Placement Test) required to enroll in University Level Courses.

When you learn a foreign language at Gallaudet, you do not learn a foreign Sign (one thing that always bothered me).

They also have ELI (English Language Institute) for those who cannot pass the EPT (English Placement Test) required to enroll in University Level Courses.

When you learn a foreign language at Gallaudet, you do not learn a foreign Sign (one thing that always bothered me).

You are correct about ELI. It is ELI, not ESL. :)

:hmm:.. What kind of foreign language do they offer at Gallaudet?
I'm guessing Spanish, French as a couple for sure?

:hmm:.. What kind of foreign language do they offer at Gallaudet?
I'm guessing Spanish, French as a couple for sure?

German
Italian
Latin

During my time at Gally, they used to offer Russian language courses.

What got me disappointed was that I couldn't take a foreign language class there and learn how to speak it and listen to the sound. I had to buy my own tape and practice it that way on my own time in my dorm. Not much of an option they have.

Last edited:
Back