Gallaudet University's Official Language

ah. but for others - Gallaudet University does provide translations/interpreters for those who do not know ASL or not fluent in ASL?

I am a hearing student hoping to get into a grad program at Gallaudet, and they have been very supportive of me. I haven't visited yet, but they do provide hearing interpreters during open houses and with advance notice. What I've been told is that if I can give them two week's notice, I can reserve time to meet with staff and they'll have an interpreter or hearing staff member there.

However, with regards to students and staff knowing ASL, if admitted I would be required to learn ASL in order to progress through the psychology program. Which makes sense, since the whole point is to train psychologists who can work with deaf and HOH individuals.

I am a hearing student hoping to get into a grad program at Gallaudet, and they have been very supportive of me. I haven't visited yet, but they do provide hearing interpreters during open houses and with advance notice. What I've been told is that if I can give them two week's notice, I can reserve time to meet with staff and they'll have an interpreter or hearing staff member there.

However, with regards to students and staff knowing ASL, if admitted I would be required to learn ASL in order to progress through the psychology program. Which makes sense, since the whole point is to train psychologists who can work with deaf and HOH individuals.

Glad to hear you are going into that field. It is indeed a specialty area that is under staffed. Many don't understand the need to be trained to specifically work with deaf and HH.

Back