First appointment

I'm getting ready to leave the house and go to my evaluation and doc appts...PLEASE keep y'all fingers crossed for me...think good thoughts...etc.

Damn, I'm nervous! :hyper: :run:

Will let y'all know how it went when I get home!

Yes, my fingers, my toes, my arms, my legs and just about everything is crossed for you! :Ohno:

Ok y'all -

I am back from the clinic.

It looks like it will be a go, pending the CT scan...doc still hasnt gotten the results yet. They said they will start the paperwork and stuff for surgery while getting approval from Medicare and Medicaid at the same time.

I should get my surgery date sometime this week. They told me that I have the option of getting my CI activated day after surgery if I want, or waiting a few days. They say they normally do it the day after surgery.

I got an awesome interpreter this time, and communication were so much better this time around. I was able to ask a bunch of questions, and there was no negativity around. My audiologist is AWESOME, she knows sign language and is very friendly. She answered many of my questions as well as my doctor.

My audiologist gave me some awesome information on Nucleus Freedom and AB stuff. :) I will go back to see her to tell her which CI company I decide I want to go with.

I also got my vaccinations as well. I didn't even feel it!

My doc, it looks like, will be doing my surgery, he's done about 300 CI surgeries.

So...I'm so excited! :hyper:

Now, I'm crossing my fingers for the CT Scan results...:hyper:

Whoooa! I can see that you are off! :) Hope all the remaining tests show normal results and that you can proceed as planned. I'm really thrilled that we are getting a solid group of us here with a wide range of experiences.

Thanks! And your kid is SO cute in your avatar!!!

Thanks!

Today was her first appointment at the cochlear implant center. I only met with 2 audioligists so far. They basically just talked to us about the implant and what it does, which we already knew. We talked a little about the surgery, and they did a hearing test. Since Victoria is still so little it's hard to test her. From the tests they did today, it seems she only responded to sound at 80dbs and higher with her hearing aids on. I figured that would be the case since I never see her respond to voices. So now we have 2 more appointments scheduled for mid October. They want to test her hearing some more with hearing aids and without. I assume after that I can meet the surgeon and make the appointment for the cat scan. Do you know if they sedate children for cat scans? She will be about 8 or 9 months old when they do it.

Thanks

Thanks!

Today was her first appointment at the cochlear implant center. I only met with 2 audioligists so far. They basically just talked to us about the implant and what it does, which we already knew. We talked a little about the surgery, and they did a hearing test. Since Victoria is still so little it's hard to test her. From the tests they did today, it seems she only responded to sound at 80dbs and higher with her hearing aids on. I figured that would be the case since I never see her respond to voices. So now we have 2 more appointments scheduled for mid October. They want to test her hearing some more with hearing aids and without. I assume after that I can meet the surgeon and make the appointment for the cat scan. Do you know if they sedate children for cat scans? She will be about 8 or 9 months old when they do it.

Thanks

I think they do sedate small children for ct scans since they have to stay VERY still for the scan. But it probably will be something not very heavy, probably will just use enough to take the ct scan which would be for about 15 minutes or so and then she will wake up afterwards. Others, correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Ok, thanks. I didn't even know how long they were, I never had one. What you said makes sense, they will probably just give her something light.

yep u r correct lucia... at age 9 i was very hyper kid and they had to sedate me and i woke up in middle of cat scan lol or was it mri? i cant remember but they did made me go sleep cuz i cant stay still for more than 5 min. it depends on each person actually. if i was to get new cochlear implant now they probably will have to sedate me anyway cuz i cant stay still even now.

so im sure they will give 2kids1hoh daughter something but most likely medication not sedate since shes way too young to handle that kind of stuff. well thats just what i have heard so it may be different for your daughter i have no idea really.(2kids1hoh not lucia lol)

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks

Thanks for giving us an idea of the process. It goes to show that they don't just slap on implants but do try and see if hearing aids will benefit the child first. Was Victoria's loss picked up via a newborn screening test?

It depends. They will probably give your daughter an oral sedative at least, but they may give her an IV sedative - when I was 3, I had to have an MRI, but I didn't want to go in the machine, so they ended up giving me an IV. I'm not sure if they actually put me under or just sedated me. I think the latter. This was before some of the machines were more open-ish, though; that might help.

Edit: I've had MRIs and CATs a few times since, and they usually offer me a light sedative. It makes it easier to sit still for the dang thing, even if you are a (theoretically) mature adult. ;-)

This is nerve-wracking! Someone's been trying to call me but when I answer the phone on my TTY no one types anything! I am so frustrated. I think it is either the clinic trying to call me or some stupid telemarketer but I have no idea because I do not have a caller ID. (no one else ever calls)

I called the clinic and they wont tell me anything except that I have to speak to the surgery coordinator there and they transferred me to the surgery coordinator but she doesn't ever answer the phone! I've called her a few times today and she has NOT picked up the phone, its always some stupid answering machine!

Ack.

EDIT: I gave in and got a little pushy with the secretary at the clinic and she put me through to my surgery coordinator directly...AND MY SURGERY DATE IS SEPTEMBER 27TH!!! AT 1 PM!!!

:hyper: :run:

Last edited:
Wow! that fast? coolie beanie@!! bet u are exciting about that, eh?

Wish u all of the lucks you can get from it! :) :)

Wow! that fast? coolie beanie@!! bet u are exciting about that, eh?

Wish u all of the lucks you can get from it! :) :)

Oh yes I am excited!!!

I am waiting for them to call me again to make appt to meet with doc and audiologist to pick out which CI I want (AB or Freedom) and to tell me which ear they will be implanting.

:hyper:

Back