First appointment

Thanks for giving us an idea of the process. It goes to show that they don't just slap on implants but do try and see if hearing aids will benefit the child first. Was Victoria's loss picked up via a newborn screening test?

Yes, she failed the newborn screening test at the hospital. Then they had us come back for an ABR at 6 weeks, then another at 8 and 9 weeks. So basically we knew for sure about her hearing loss at 9 weeks.

The implant center definetly was not pushy at all. They were just trying to inform me of the options, so far I really like them. I will let you know how she does at the other appointments. We are not in a rush, so we are going again October 12th.

I did ask them what the typical age a baby gets implanted. They told me that they have patients as young as 8 months. I am not ready for that!! They did discuss the benefits of early implantation which I already knew about. When I actually meet the surgeon I am going to ask him more about this subject.

Way to go, Lucia! All da best to you on this journey. Now, I think it's paramount that you either go back to the clinic or call them and inform the one or two key people who will be responsible for making phone contacts with you. Better still, leave them a written note that shows them how to contact you by tty via that 800 number and tell them if you don't pick up, they will have the opportunity to leave you a message and that you will call them right back. I have found this to be the best way for folks to contact me rather than telling them verbally.

Way to go, Lucia! All da best to you on this journey. Now, I think it's paramount that you either go back to the clinic or call them and inform the one or two key people who will be responsible for making phone contacts with you. Better still, leave them a written note that shows them how to contact you by tty via that 800 number and tell them if you don't pick up, they will have the opportunity to leave you a message and that you will call them right back. I have found this to be the best way for folks to contact me rather than telling them verbally.

I did tell them how to call via relay but they just don't get it. I have left my email address with them and told them that email is really the best way to contact me.

I think they do sedate small children for ct scans since they have to stay VERY still for the scan. But it probably will be something not very heavy, probably will just use enough to take the ct scan which would be for about 15 minutes or so and then she will wake up afterwards. Others, correct me if I'm wrong. :)

No, you're right. I know of one med they typically use called Chloral Hydrate. It's usually given orally. However, since this child is so young, I'm unsure of what type of sedation they will use. But, yes, the baby WILL be sedated to facilitate scanning. Whatever they use will be relatively short acting. She may be groggy, though, for a short time. They may also administer oxygen while the baby is asleep.

SpiceHD, I know your intentions are sincere, but I mean audist oralism isn't exclusive to having a CI. I experianced it, and I only have hearing aids. 2kids1hoh really does sound like she's got a realistic grip on things. On the other hand, 2kids.....I think that SpiceHD does have a good point.....Be careful that your daughter's exposure to other dhh and to Deaf Culture is really balanced. Hoh kids tend to be really pushed towards the hearing world and not really have any exposure to the Deaf culture. Yes, it's great to have exposure to the hearing world......but that doesn't mean that traditional Deaf related things might not help her.

Since Victoria is still so little it's hard to test her. From the tests they did today, it seems she only responded to sound at 80dbs and higher with her hearing aids on. I figured that would be the case since I never see her respond to voices.
That's one of the biggest reasons I am very ambigious towards early implantation.....it's just so hard to accurately tell what a little kid hears. Ask any parent whose dhh kid was born before universal screening.....they will tell you that all of them played the "Now I hear you, now I don't"game. Don't worry about getting her implanted as soon as possible. Early implantation is good......but I mean I wonder if holding off on implantation for a few months or so, might be a little too overhyped. Some of the doctors out there make it sound like your child will never master oral skills, if they aren't implanted the SECOND they are diganosed! I really think that it might not matter all that much, as long as they are implanted relatively early.....like around their first birthday.
The implant center definetly was not pushy at all. They were just trying to inform me of the options,
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Definitly continue with your research. I mean it does sound like Victoria would be a good canidate for implantation. Implantation might even help her gain some oral skills.....oh and that's still pretty much a blank slate. It's hard to tell exactly how well a dhh kid will suceed at oral language.
Most dhh kids can pick up basic spoken language skills, but most of them will probaly need language therapy for their entire school career. Very few pick up perfect language skills.....I still have a lot of trouble with articualtion and modualtion, and volumne and pitch.

Damn that's F A S T!!! Usually it take between 3 to 6 months before having a surgery. Ya took only less a month! WOW!

WISH YA LUCK!! :)

Damn that's F A S T!!! Usually it take between 3 to 6 months before having a surgery. Ya took only less a month! WOW!

WISH YA LUCK!! :)

Yeah, I know! I was talking to FelixKat about a week ago and she told me that she thinks I will get it before Christmas. I said, I don't think so...

She was right. And things went way faster than I thought!!!

:jaw:

Wow Lucia - that is sooo fast! I thought Bear had the prize but you're going to be activated the next day after surgery too right? If you don't feel up to it don't be afraid to ask for some extra time to recover. People can react differently to surgery.

I'm going to miss so much activity on here when I go overseas next week! I will have to read everyone's posts on my mum's computer. :hyper:

Wow Lucia - that is sooo fast! I thought Bear had the prize but you're going to be activated the next day after surgery too right? If you don't feel up to it don't be afraid to ask for some extra time to recover. People can react differently to surgery.

I'm going to miss so much activity on here when I go overseas next week! I will have to read everyone's posts on my mum's computer. :hyper:

LOL! Probably will...it is completely up to me. I may just see how I feel the day after surgery and if I do not feel like it I can ask for a few days before being activated. :)

LOL! Probably will...it is completely up to me. I may just see how I feel the day after surgery and if I do not feel like it I can ask for a few days before being activated. :)

Whoo Hoo.. so your dream is coming true... i wish you bestest luck...

Oh, I forgot to mention that the clinic called me earlier this morning and woke me up. They finally figured out how to use relay! LOL! So, I have an appointment to meet with my awesome audiologist again next week Friday (Sept 22nd) at 10:30 am to pick out the brand of CIs and to find out which ear will be implanted.

Damn, I'm excited! 12 days til my CI surgery!!! :hyper: :run:

I can't believe how fast this is happening for you, that is great news!

Can you hear better in one of your ears? Are they still telling people to implant the worse ear? I am curious which ear the doctors will want to implant on my daughter. Her right ear was able to hear sounds around 95 dbs and the left they received no response from. I would assume they will want to implant the left. Which brand are you going to choose?

Thanks!

I can't believe how fast this is happening for you, that is great news!

Can you hear better in one of your ears? Are they still telling people to implant the worse ear? I am curious which ear the doctors will want to implant on my daughter. Her right ear was able to hear sounds around 95 dbs and the left they received no response from. I would assume they will want to implant the left. Which brand are you going to choose?

Thanks!

I can't really hear in either ear. My loss is 120 db, I think. I haven't looked at the audiologram report from recently. The audiogram I had from 5 years ago showed 115 dbs or more in both ears, I think. So I don't know which ear they will implant.

I am not sure which brand I want. I was leaning towards Freedom but my audiologist told me that AB is now water resistant and MRI safe. So, apart from the AB's recalls in the past, I am not sure which one I will go for. I think I may need help deciding, LOL! I think I probably will go for Freedom, though.

About your daughter, they may want to implant the worse ear, so that she can wear a hearing aid in her better ear.

I can't really hear in either ear. My loss is 120 db, I think. I haven't looked at the audiologram report from recently. The audiogram I had from 5 years ago showed 115 dbs or more in both ears, I think. So I don't know which ear they will implant.

I am not sure which brand I want. I was leaning towards Freedom but my audiologist told me that AB is now water resistant and MRI safe. So, apart from the AB's recalls in the past, I am not sure which one I will go for. I think I may need help deciding, LOL! I think I probably will go for Freedom, though.

About your daughter, they may want to implant the worse ear, so that she can wear a hearing aid in her better ear.

Maybe they will just let you decide on the ear. I think if I had to make a decision today I would choose the Freedom too. The audiologists said which ever one you choose, you really can't make a wrong decision.

congrats lucia....I waited a week after surgery to get activated. And looking at it now I'm very happy I waited that week. :)

You probably need to look closely at the features in the freedom and Ad to decide which would suit you best. Like Freedom has 4 program slots and AB has ? I really like autosensitvity in Freedom and the Adro tech is great. I'm sure AB has their own versions. Ahh, decisions decisions. :) good luck.

Back