First appointment

Uh...today is Tuesday...LOL! :)

lol :eek3: i dont know where my mind is.. i kept thinking yesterday was sunday cuz no school as Tj was here? lmao! sorry! u r right today is Tuesday.. dang! i had bad days the last few days due to being sick.. grrr.. :( :giggle: dont mind me.. im off in the sick world.. hehe.. :P

Glad that you have a second evaluation appt set up and that the first interpreter will be there. I can understand why the quality of the interpretation would be very important to you and it's essential to have the right person for such a life changing matter! More waiting for you though...bummer...I remember that.

Chin up!

Glad that you have a second evaluation appt set up and that the first interpreter will be there. I can understand why the quality of the interpretation would be very important to you and it's essential to have the right person for such a life changing matter! More waiting for you though...bummer...I remember that.

Chin up!

Eh, today wasn't an evaluation appt, I guess it was just some hearing tests and to get the ball rolling. But next week is the real deal. :)

Eh, today wasn't an evaluation appt, I guess it was just some hearing tests and to get the ball rolling. But next week is the real deal. :)

Cool - next week's appointment is what really counts in terms of quality of interpretation!

Sorry to hear it didn't go so well today. Next week will be better for you!

My daughter has her first appointment next week. I guess she will have hearing tests like you (except that she is just 7 months old). My process will be different, plus we have lots of time if we decide to implant her.

Good luck next week.

Sorry to hear it didn't go so well today. Next week will be better for you!

My daughter has her first appointment next week. I guess she will have hearing tests like you (except that she is just 7 months old). My process will be different, plus we have lots of time if we decide to implant her.

Good luck next week.

umm theres a couple things u maybe want to know is.. if u plan to have your daughter goes to deaf school... you may want to wait till shes old enough to make her own choice to have CI or not because most percent of kids who got CI at such a young age tend to resent against their parents for making that choice for them instead of asking them to decide if they want or not. and when kid resent their parent they tend to throw it away eventually which is a waste of money. I was one of few lucky kids who had that opperunity to decide to get it or not and because of that i never resent my parents or have a dislike to CI.

2nd thing if you dont plan to take your daughter to deaf school you might want to keep her social with other deaf kids like deaf club or deaf events even deaf camp. and Again... CI is sticky thing around deaf people especially when they find out the CI user didnt make a decision on her or his own.

the reason why we are so supportive of Lucia because she have done her homework, is old enough to make such a life changing decision and actually wants it so we know the effort will not be wasted on Lucia.

i just dont want to see another kid throwing the precious thing away or let CI hurt the relationship. I have seen it at my school and i have tolerated the teasing, cruel jokes, etc because i used CI even a deaf teacher there was pretty mean to me because i stubbornly wore it at school. So please please please consider your decision very careful and take in every different views on it and conclusions too.

Lucia is not in high school anymore shes too old for that so she will not suffer so much compare to teens.

im not discouraging CI because i do understand that more younger kids will get better language development with hearing assistance but to tell u the truth i really dont care abt that... im more concerned on how kid will react to it when kid grow up.

i just dont want to see another kid throwing the precious thing away or let CI hurt the relationship. I have seen it at my school and i have tolerated the teasing, cruel jokes, etc because i used CI even a deaf teacher there was pretty mean to me because i stubbornly wore it at school. So please please please consider your decision very careful and take in every different views on it and conclusions too.

Sorry you had to go through that - it must have been really hard for you growing up during a time when opposition to CIs was very strong. There must have been a lot of peer pressure for you to stop wearing it in order to be liked and accepted.

I think that in the years to come there will be a much bigger percentage of profoundly deaf children with CIs and it will become more like the way people perceive hearing aids. Attitudes change. So hopefully if 2kids1hoh does go ahead with a decision to implant her child the CI will no longer be a big deal if she goes to a deaf school or a deaf camp. There was an article posted on AD a few months back about a deaf camp where many of the children now had CIs compared to a few years previous and they were talking about it in a very positive way because these children were still being exposed to deaf role models and not being lost from the culture as feared.

I just heard back from the CI clinic via email. The CT Scan appointment has been made for September 11th at 10:45 am. I emailed them back asking for an address, what intersection they are at (we have to take the bus), and whether or not I have to temporarily remove my body piercings for the CT Scan. I probably will have to. I have had MRIs and CT Scans in the past and they did not tell me I had to take my piercings out, but the people here might say different. Abel and I am going to one of the body piercing places on Austin Highway to have them loosen my piercings so that I can take them out right before the CT Scan and then when all is said and done I can put them back in. Either that, or buy a tool that they use to remove those piercings with (forgot what it's called). I could buy arcylic piercings, but I don't have the money for that right now.

I really hope we do not get lost this time and that it is not all the way over on the other side of town. San Antonio is huge and it takes a long time to get somewhere sometimes. I also hope that it does NOT rain!

Yes you will have to remove the earrings and other body earrings off. I had to take mine off and put in the cup and after I was done, I put them back on. :)

I just heard back from the CI clinic via email. The CT Scan appointment has been made for September 11th at 10:45 am. I emailed them back asking for an address, what intersection they are at (we have to take the bus), and whether or not I have to temporarily remove my body piercings for the CT Scan. I probably will have to. I have had MRIs and CT Scans in the past and they did not tell me I had to take my piercings out, but the people here might say different. Abel and I am going to one of the body piercing places on Austin Highway to have them loosen my piercings so that I can take them out right before the CT Scan and then when all is said and done I can put them back in. Either that, or buy a tool that they use to remove those piercings with (forgot what it's called). I could buy arcylic piercings, but I don't have the money for that right now.

I really hope we do not get lost this time and that it is not all the way over on the other side of town. San Antonio is huge and it takes a long time to get somewhere sometimes. I also hope that it does NOT rain!
as for CTScan, I had to take off my earring and they only scan your head. but I do recall empty anything that is metal.

Yes you have to remove body pierces.. before you go in MRI.. because of magnetic it will mess you up... i had to remove them before many times..

as for CTScan, I had to take off my earring and they only scan your head. but I do recall empty anything that is metal.

Ok. I have 3 body piercings, one is an eyebrow piercing, the other is tongue...I won't mention where the 3rd one is! :whistle:

Good luck.. I hope you will get good results...

Ok. I have 3 body piercings, one is an eyebrow piercing, the other is tongue...I won't mention where the 3rd one is! :whistle:

Heh heh the mind boggles! Good luck with the scan. I recommend photocopying the page from the map and take it with you so you know where to go. Maybe e-mail the clinic back and ask for specific instructions about how to get there too?

Heh heh the mind boggles! Good luck with the scan. I recommend photocopying the page from the map and take it with you so you know where to go. Maybe e-mail the clinic back and ask for specific instructions about how to get there too?

Already did. Waiting on their email.

I got another email from the clinic. They said they would provide transportation to get to the CT Scan at their own expense. Awesome!

:applause:

umm theres a couple things u maybe want to know is.. if u plan to have your daughter goes to deaf school... you may want to wait till shes old enough to make her own choice to have CI or not because most percent of kids who got CI at such a young age tend to resent against their parents for making that choice for them instead of asking them to decide if they want or not. and when kid resent their parent they tend to throw it away eventually which is a waste of money. I was one of few lucky kids who had that opperunity to decide to get it or not and because of that i never resent my parents or have a dislike to CI.

2nd thing if you dont plan to take your daughter to deaf school you might want to keep her social with other deaf kids like deaf club or deaf events even deaf camp. and Again... CI is sticky thing around deaf people especially when they find out the CI user didnt make a decision on her or his own.

the reason why we are so supportive of Lucia because she have done her homework, is old enough to make such a life changing decision and actually wants it so we know the effort will not be wasted on Lucia.

Lucia is not in high school anymore shes too old for that so she will not suffer so much compare to teens.

im not discouraging CI because i do understand that more younger kids will get better language development with hearing assistance but to tell u the truth i really dont care abt that... im more concerned on how kid will react to it when kid grow up.

I don't want to take anything away from Lucia's thread, so I will just say this for now. Thanks for your concern... but my daughter already attends a school for the deaf. She has been wearing hearing aids for 3 months with little to no benefit. We have done our research, and whatever decision we decide on we feel will be the best for our daughter.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, but like R2D2 said things are different now. Attitudes are changing towards CI's.

Thanks

Then I believe it will be just two that may need to be taken off and I don't believe they will scan where your third one is lol ;)

Back