Decline of sign language

TrippLA said:
We should (including you) listen what VamPyroX said and You did disrespect to me too. Stop argue and start manner.

Finally, I'm apologize for being rude and you need tell apology to me.

As we Australians say "Good onya sonya!" It shows maturity to apologize.

:cheers:

Sweetmind said:
Yea yea same old routine as well as it s the same thing with HA.. NO difference between HA and CI.. Whats more we can hear a very basic language that is nothing more than just basic language that we can understand ... So there!

Er...ummm do you have a CI? Noooo, I thought not. Your experience(s) cannot be said to be the definitive experience(s) by which all others are compared or judged. Yours is one of many. Never forget that. Your statements is simply your opinion about the whole issue.

I have heard both with a HA and a CI. There are differences between them as I have experienced it personally (are you able to say that?) Belittling or denying others who have valid experiences (and which I can vouch from personal experience) is counterproductive. There are a wide variety of experiences of those with CIs. The technology has come a long way and it is fantastic what they can do now for people hearing wise. It will only get better and better. Maybe they will be able to restore the cochlear hair cells so that CIs might be a moot point for many people. The world is moving on whether you like it or not. In that sense, you are becoming marginalized and being considered irrelevant.

Maybe they aren't for you and that is totally fine with everybody. Nobody is telling you to have one. Fighting tooth and nail to the "death" isn't necessarily validating your opinions. The deaf community is a very broad spectrum of people with incredibly wide experiences. It will survive regardless of all these issues. Something for you to consider...

Sweetmind said:
........Obviously you missed out a lot from what Cloggy did saying it many times that his child is hearing because of CI device.
Sweetmind,
I have known you now for 1½ years and in that time you learned nothing from me. Audiofuzzy on the other hand has known me for 1 month and is correct.

I'll explain how I see my daughter. She has been born deaf, now she can hear. She knows how to sign AND she can speak. She can communicate with me using sign through a window AND she can communicate with me being at a different floor or in a different room.

Oh and Sweetmind, I explained 1 year (approximately) how CI is different from a HA. Why do you still use that argument?

Audiofuzzy said:
There is a big difference.

CI may enable to hear what HA does not, because CI work in different way than HA.

This is how HA works:

""Hearing aids are one of the fundamental devices used by hard of hearing and late deafened people. They work by amplifying sound. There are many different types of hearing aids, each addressing particular needs.""

The HA AMPLIFY your NATURAL hearing or rather what's left of it.

This is how CI works:
""What is a cochlear implant?
A cochlear implant is a small, complex electronic device that can help to provide a sense of sound to a person who is profoundly deaf or severely hard of hearing. The implant is surgically placed under the skin behind the ear. An implant has four basic parts:

A microphone, which picks up sound from the environment;

A speech processor, which selects and arranges sounds picked up by the microphone;

A transmitter and receiver/stimulator, which receive signals from the speech processor and convert them into electric impulses;

And electrodes, which collect the impulses from the stimulator and send them to the brain.
An implant does not restore or create normal hearing. Instead, under the appropriate conditions, it can give a deaf person a useful auditory understanding of the environment and help him or her to understand speech.

A cochlear implant is very different from a hearing aid. Hearing aids amplify sound. Cochlear implants compensate for damaged or non-working parts of the inner ear.""

That is BIG difference.

Fuzzy

I suddenly had a deja-vu!!

SR171SORS.... can you start a new thread telling how CI is different from HA's Since you have used both, you are the expert in telling the difference. Also, it would help to have a topic to link to when the question comes up again.

TrippLA said:
The decline of sign language is occured in most developed countries except for USA. Norway, Denmark, Australia and some other countries that 80%-90% children got implanted because of free medical center. Only 2% deaf children got implanted in USA, deaf culture is strong in USA and thanks to Bush for passed ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) in 1990. USA has more services to improving the deaf people life without got implanted. ASL (American Sign Language) is fast-growing in USA (sizable in Canada and Mexico) and many hearing people can learn to use ASL from ASL classes at most universties and some high school. I have many hearing friends that want learn to use ASL and they are interesting with deaf culture.

I'm encourage to hearing people for not implant the deaf children and some of hearing students at school said CI is nothing to help improving the oral and sounds are mess up like too loud. I'm enjoy to teach deaf children to use ASL and learn about deaf culture. We are expected to see deaf population are growing in USA due high birth rate from immigrants like Mexico, Central America, South America, Asia, Europe (mostly from formerly Soviet Union countries) and Middle East. We are thankful for growing more deaf population.

:gpost: I agree! Let Deaf people be themselves without any devices!

sr171soars said:
Interesting point...I see some don't collect and others that do and some rather "flippantly" at that (that really can be irritating to see...no different when I see it with hearing people too).

I have never had disability support my entire life. I really saddened to see some with the attitude that "Hey I'm deaf!" so lets collect them checks! I can understand where a disability truly prevents one from working...that is one thing. It is a whole another ballgame when one prefers them over working and they can work. Some will then point out "moaning" I'm discriminated against or some other issue that prevents them from working. Most people appreciate hardworking people and will often work with the person to accomodate them.

I have one question is this post geared towards all deaf that get SSI or SSDI or whatever or just a select few?

Not all of us didnt work from choice. Some of us were just grateful we could collect a check to help us live on it. I am one of the few that had a valid reason for being on SSI and not working. I take offense to posts like these, cause there are others who are or were also in bad situations that didnt have a choice either.

I worked from the time I was 18 til I was about 25 then my mother's health really started declining. She was too young for government nursing care. *You had to be at least 60 years of age to get it* My mother recently passed away at 57 years of age.

She never wanted to go to a Nursing Home and being as I was an LPN and her only child whose responsibility was she? MINE! I owed her, from all the sacrifices she made for me growing up.I quit my job and went on SSI and stayed home full time to take care of a very ill mother. I worked harder taking care of her than I ever did in a job. Was I lazy? Was I just collecting a check because I could?

Just a little story to show that some people do have it rough and without those checks wouldnt otherwise *make it*.

By the way, its been a little over a month since mom died and I am already looking for another job. Not just collecting those checks.

Bear

Bear said:
I have one question is this post geared towards all deaf that get SSI or SSDI or whatever or just a select few?

Not all of us didnt work from choice. Some of us were just grateful we could collect a check to help us live on it. I am one of the few that had a valid reason for being on SSI and not working. I take offense to posts like these, cause there are others who are or were also in bad situations that didnt have a choice either.

I worked from the time I was 18 til I was about 25 then my mother's health really started declining. She was too young for government nursing care. *You had to be at least 60 years of age to get it* My mother recently passed away at 57 years of age.

She never wanted to go to a Nursing Home and being as I was an LPN and her only child whose responsibility was she? MINE! I owed her, from all the sacrifices she made for me growing up.I quit my job and went on SSI and stayed home full time to take care of a very ill mother. I worked harder taking care of her than I ever did in a job. Was I lazy? Was I just collecting a check because I could?

Just a little story to show that some people do have it rough and without those checks wouldnt otherwise *make it*.

By the way, its been a little over a month since mom died and I am already looking for another job. Not just collecting those checks.

Bear

If you think mine was somewhat offensive , go check the thread out there that really discussed SSI or SSDI to the max. You get the whole works in terms of opinions.

I wasn't talking about your type of situation. I commend you for this and I'm sure it wasn't easy for you.

I just was talking about abled body people with no excuses for not working and collecting a check.

sr171soars said:
If you think mine was somewhat offensive , go check the thread out there that really discussed SSI or SSDI to the max. You get the whole works in terms of opinions.

I wasn't talking about your type of situation. I commend you for this and I'm sure it wasn't easy for you.

I just was talking about abled body people with no excuses for not working and collecting a check.

It is posted here cause you were the one to bring this up originally. Do you always chose to ignore the things you brought up and then not want to hear the retailating remark to it?

I was very polite to you and I did ask a question of you. My point being was not to pass judgement on all of us on SSI or SSDI.

Thanks,
Bear

Bear said:
It is posted here cause you were the one to bring this up originally. Do you always chose to ignore the things you brought up and then not want to hear the retailating remark to it?

I was very polite to you and I did ask a question of you. My point being was not to pass judgement on all of us on SSI or SSDI.

Thanks,
Bear

Sorry...did not intend to offend. I had to look back how this whole thing got started. If you read my original remarks, I did state there were exceptions like those who couldn't work and I never thought of situations like yours (and so I would include yours in the exceptions).

As for passing judgement against all, again that was not my intent just those who abuse it.

Cheri said:
Just because you have a sign language interpreter because lack of communication between hearing and Deaf people. Not all hearing people have the knowledge or patience with how to communicate with a Deaf person.

This is why I want my children to be able to speak and understand speech. I want them to have so much more in their lives.

They will always be Deaf but they will have a valuable tool to be genuinely independent.

rockdrummer said:
Disabled
Function: adjective
: incapacitated by illness, injury, or wounds; broadly : physically or mentally impaired

Impaired
: being in a less than perfect or whole condition: as a : handicapped or functionally defective -- often used in combination <hearing-impaired> b : intoxicated by alcohol or narcotics <driving while impaired>
This is why I'm against the term "hearing impaired".

rockdrummer said:
I totally agree and that is in part why I did that. Too many times people use words out of context or have the wrong definition. When in doubt, I always educate myself by consulting with the dictionary. I am really not a smart man and have to use dictionary, spell checker and grammer checkers quite a bit.
Hey, checking the dictionary is actually the smart thing to do. ;)

Audiofuzzy said:
You are missing vital sense, sweetie - a hearing.
And please do not judge me as you know zit who am I.

Fuzzy
From WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]:

vital
adj 1: urgently needed; absolutely necessary; "a critical element
of the plan"; "critical medical supplies"; "vital for
a healthy society"; "of vital interest" [syn: {critical}]
2: performing an essential function in the living body; "vital
organs"; "blood and other vital fluids"; "the loss of
vital heat in shock"; "a vital spot"; "life-giving love
and praise" [syn: {life-sustaining}]
3: full of spirit; "a dynamic full of life woman"; "a vital and
charismatic leader"; "this whole lively world" [syn: {full
of life}, {lively}]
4: manifesting or characteristic of life; "a vital, living
organism"; "vital signs"
Hearing isn't THAT important! She's not going to die because of her deafness!

gnulinuxman said:
Hearing isn't THAT important! She's not going to die because of her deafness!

Of course she isn't - deafness isn't a death sentence.

One thing I have not yet seen broached in terms of children being implanted with CI's:

So many who are against CI's in children state that ASL is the natural language for the deaf, and that deaf children should be taught ASL and immersed in Deaf Culture, then later in their life (how late hasn't been said - 5? 10? 18?) if they want they can be implanted.

What do you do when a deaf child is born to a hearing family who lives in a community with NO deaf citizens? Most large deaf communities congregate to cities and metropolitan scenes where interaction with large numbers of other deaf is easy. But what should parents do when they live 500 or more miles away from the nearest deaf community or even another deaf PERSON? (Such was the case for me when I was a child.) Learning ASL or at least SEE is possible from books, videos etc, but when a deaf child lives in an ALL-HEARING community, where only their parents know sign language, I don't think its unreasonable for the parents to consider CI's as a godsend, to allow their deaf child to integrate with their hearing peers,family, and friends.

VITAL

vital
5 entries found for vital.
To select an entry, click on it.
vitalelan vitalvital capacityvital signsvital statistics

Main Entry: vi·tal
Pronunciation: 'vI-t&l
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin vitalis of life, from vita life; akin to Latin vivere to live -- more at QUICK
1 a : existing as a manifestation of life b : concerned with or necessary to the maintenance of life <vital organs> <blood and other vital fluids>
2 : full of life and vigor : ANIMATED
3 : characteristic of life or living beings
4 a : fundamentally concerned with or affecting life or living beings: as (1) : tending to renew or refresh the living : INVIGORATING (2) : destructive to life : MORTAL b : of the utmost importance
5 : recording data relating to lives
6 : of, relating to, or constituting the staining of living tissues
synonym see ESSENTIAL
- vi·tal·ly /-t&l-E/ adverb

Fuzzy

Cheri said:
I'm always the one waking up in the middle of the night when my two boys were babies, with help from a baby cry flasher. ;)

Yes it's the same with me as well because my hubby & I are both deaf.

I do not consider deafness as disability myself but hearies see different.

I do not consider deafness as disability myself but hearies see different.

Depends what you mean by disability. What do you call lack of hearing, then?

Disability does not mean you are unable to function normally or almost as well as able person. Disability just states the fact of your general heatlh, being able. You are not able to hear... that's the fact.

Fuzzy

Back