Decline of sign language

Cloggy said:
My daughter was sitting on the slide today and I say to her, without sign, "Hi Lotte, Wave" and guess what... she waved.. To me that was because she heared. She had no visible clues to get the message, so she heared it and ubderstood. To me, that means she hears. What's your definition of a "hearing person"?
Another example: She sat in the car with my wife, straight behind her chair. Lotte was going through the numbers, one to nine. At eight she said "eigh", and my wife (in the car, motor on, no visual clues) said eigh-T pronouncing the T at the end. Lotte repeated that straight after it.... To me, that means she can hear. She's growing up hearing, she will be a hearing person.........

But give me your definition of when someone is hearing!..

.....I can't really foolow this sentence but something did struck me.
How is it we are suddely talking about multiple disabilities, I guess deafness and blindness? So deafness is a diability and when you're also blind your multiple disable? I thought that deafness was not a disability for the Deaf. Then being blind and deaf is just a single disability.....
Good I agree

Depends what you mean by disability. What do you call lack of hearing, then?

Disability does not mean you are unable to function normally or almost as well as able person. Disability just states the fact of your general heatlh, being able. You are not able to hear... that's the fact.

Fuzzy

Gnulxm: Oh come on; lighten up....

Lighten up on what? Lack of hearing is disability, period. All I wanted to point out.

Fuzzy

CutePommie said:
Okay Okay ....... sure your daughter is hearing as you make it out .. so leave us alone and why have to bother us deafies here !! ... whatever you telling us here that will not going change our minds ... Like I said while ago .. that Am happy to be deaf and always will be deaf ....
Also maybe you said that we deafies have missing out with the beautiful sounds etc .. yet again I do not bother and I am happy to be peace and quiet lol ... my sister often telling me that I am lucky because I can not hear .. it does make me feel to be good to know what my sister said to me ...
I sure tired of read all the same things over over over it will not to achive anything for you.. so you have said that your daughter is hearing and she will be hearing when she is older .. that is the end of story for you ok.. just leave us alone ...
But ! please remember when her CI turn off she is DEAF okay thank you... am outta here !! because I sure tired of your Bighead to telling us thinking your the better than us deafies .. again that where your wrong ... :roll: I does to have a great life .. what more I wanna ...
:bye: ...... :angel:

First off you have no right to order Cloggy off this board. Its not ONLY for deaf people. There are many hearing members too!

Second of all - his explaining his experiences with his daughter is NOT telling you he's better than you(or his daughter is) he's simply sharing his experiences and showing that there are more sides to the story than just "CI's are evil"

Thirdly - he's not told anybody what "they are missing." He's not told anyone to get a CI- he simply shows what his daughter can experience.

And lastly - if you can't stand reading his posts - there is an ignore feature handy on this forum - I suggest you use it because he has as much a right to be here and participate in this forum as any of us!

Audiofuzzy said:
How many times can we repeat WE DON'T THINK DEVICES ENABLE TO HEAR EVERYTHING?

HEARING DEVICES, including COCHLEAR IMPLANTS, do not restore hearing 100%. they do not restore it at all! they just assist with hearing and the success of this assist varies from minimal to optimal!!

and I am no audist.

Got it now?

Fuzzy

SAME HERE!!! :gpost:

gnulinuxman said:
So, you're saying "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!" instead of "Fight for your rights!"???? If so, that's not a good idea.

Loud people, loud music, nails scratching a chalkboard, shoes squeaking loudly on the floor, people throwing books on the table, lawn mowers, loud trucks with noisy loads--yeah, THOSE are good reasons to hear... :roll:

If anyone not a member of this forum read this post they'd assume that you think that there is nothing worthile to being able to hear - its all BAD.

Is that what you think? I LOVE being able to hear sounds other than speech. I can tell if a car is coming up behind me on the road when I walk, I can hear the birds chirping in the morning, I can hear the waves on the beach,the thunder of a thunderstorm- its not all bad :)

neecy said:
First off you have no right to order Cloggy off this board. Its not ONLY for deaf people. There are many hearing members too!

Second of all - his explaining his experiences with his daughter is NOT telling you he's better than you(or his daughter is) he's simply sharing his experiences and showing that there are more sides to the story than just "CI's are evil"

Thirdly - he's not told anybody what "they are missing." He's not told anyone to get a CI- he simply shows what his daughter can experience.

And lastly - if you can't stand reading his posts - there is an ignore feature handy on this forum - I suggest you use it because he has as much a right to be here and participate in this forum as any of us!

Blah !! Who does you think you are? read it again . Did I say that I want Cloggy out of this board? where ??? Are you the perfect too? since you think you can hear better than us which you think your life is much better than us deafies ! It getting boring and nothing new! same oldie stories over over over ... ... :roll: :zzz: Smiles !!!! Life are great ... !!!! :roll: ...I much have my right to come here to say for myself .... too!!! so :fu2:

Yes you (latened deaf) are making HA look bad as far as we did learned how to speak pretty good for years and years. We did the best we could but dont enforce us into a hearing person if you mind. Nice try to be flattering about our deaf ears. ATTITUDE IS STILL THE SAME .. Why is this still happens in today's??

You are making a good excuse to push CI issues people who disagree with those devices that we know it s no difference from HA. So CI make a big $$$$$ and have no remorse for those Deaf children 's failure and their hands to communicate.

We are getting sick of it because it s not cure and miracle. Also, because HA was the first that we could hear a little bit that is good enough. So we didnt have to have the trophy plague of CI in our head for Hearing people s sake. Jeez! Why should we have to pay all those money that isnt working out very well for all of us who dont hear everything. What a terrible waste our Deaf minds and our Deaf Education with Bi Bi language then we can have speech classes twice a week whatever they prefer not hearing people s decision.!

People failed us after all we worked so hard to learn how to speak with HA device.. Dont tell me we are a failure if you mind. Give us a break and our true identity and American Sign Language back? And still not satisfied with us by audism attitude.. :dunno: What's the heck!

So that way we can read and write better improvment instead of forcing those kids that is not healthy for us to have a good learning process in our brain systems with all kind of noise around us. It s too stressful for all of us deafies.

Just leave deaf children alone and give them the best Education while they can be themselves as equal. Thanks!

Thank you! ;)

Sweetmind

Sweetmind,

Nobody is attacking you, the Deaf, ASL or anything related to the Deaf culture. To be honest, I don't know who you are arguing with.

Everybody knows there is nothing wrong with being deaf, Deaf, ASL and the Deaf culture. I only see them answering questions, defending the deaf oral lifestyle against (bigoted, biased, baseless, factless, etc. (take your pick)) accusations and criticism. I also see them making valid corrections on misconceptions and stuff.

Let me be blunt (hey, isn't that one of the highlights of our culture?), I feel that some of you misunderstand them because of the English language. Maybe next time you aren't sure what they mean, just ask them to clarify things.

I didnt attack!!! I feel ENUFF OF IT! Thats all to it. HOWEVER, I m so sick of ppl who pushed us to hear and speak that s all to it.. so i can say my part to be additional so it doesnt mean that i misunderstodd if you mind..

We know that and why repeat over and over so whats the point for her to battle with us for since she was a hearing person. JEEZ!! She need to chill out and respect our true feelings..

We did the best we could speak and listen those device but doesnt work out for many of us to hear everything.. Thats the whole reason for me to stand up and told the truth.

I got into a trouble with Hearing people out there, they saw my hearing aid device and doesnt believe that I do not understand them.. SO Audism people are giving the wrong messages about our deaf ears with CI or HA.. so I had to stop those abuse toward deaf chlidren and deaf people. Thats my intention.

Let us Deaf people being ourselves and show them how we handle our communication with our hands to communicate first so they wont feel afraid or shocked or anything that affects hearing people who never saw us deaf people before. Why bother to hide of our being deaf and our hands for a long long time? It s no excuses.

I m being fair on both sides if you mind. I had to support that reason for me to speak it out and freely.

Thank you!

Sweetmind

I know. I understand what you mean.

I didn't mean you attacked them. I wanted to explain that they didn't attack you either.

I appreciate everybody being civilized on this touchy subject.

Cheers to everybody involved :cheers:

CutePommie said:
Blah !! Who does you think you are? read it again . Did I say that I want Cloggy out of this board? where ???

actually you said:

CutePommie said:
Okay Okay ....... sure your daughter is hearing as you make it out .. so leave us alone and why have to bother us deafies here !!

*snip*

.... just leave us alone ...

That certainly looks like you're telling him to leave.

CutePommie said:
Are you the perfect too? since you think you can hear better than us which you think your life is much better than us deafies !

I have NO idea where you're getting this impression. I'm deaf, you're deaf, I never said I'm better than anyone.

CutePommie said:
I much have my right to come here to say for myself .... too!!! so :fu2:

Hurling obscenities (even in the form of a smiley) doesn't endear yourself to anyone.

neecy said:
If anyone not a member of this forum read this post they'd assume that you think that there is nothing worthile to being able to hear - its all BAD.

Is that what you think? I LOVE being able to hear sounds other than speech. I can tell if a car is coming up behind me on the road when I walk, I can hear the birds chirping in the morning, I can hear the waves on the beach,the thunder of a thunderstorm- its not all bad :)

Do you mean that you LOVE to hear Fart Raspberry sounds ?

Y said:
at least we can beat someone in "father" game you know? And we could be able to escape the room once we hear a fart ripping out. eh.. Of course you don't want to get stuck in the room full of farts. eh.

Y said:

In all honesty I've only come across 3 sounds that bother me. One is when the water level gets too low in my aquarium and it makes a whooshing noise that is very distracting.

static (radio/tv)

continuous clicking sounds (like a perpetual motion machine)

after a year of hearing sounds...only 3 I don't like is a pretty good record.

Y said:

That is kind of an asnine question as I have no idea what you can or can't hear. The world is full of sounds and while the "F" sound you refer too is one of many it is far too insignificant. It is considered extremely crude to the hearing and most people wouldn't dream of letting one loose noisily (with others around) lest everybody look down upon them. Now, a silent one is another matter and I have to laugh at everybody looking for the culprit (when it is not me!) :laugh2:

Let me see, beautiful sounds are things like ocean waves (very soothing), birds chirping in the spring, singing, music in general (tastes vary greatly), the giggle of little children, and the list goes on and on.

sr171soars said:
Let me see, beautiful sounds are things like ocean waves (very soothing), birds chirping in the spring, singing, music in general (tastes vary greatly), the giggle of little children, and the list goes on and on.

When I could hear, my favorite sound in the world was the ocean waves. Now that I can hear again - its once again my favorite!!! (and convenient that, because the beach is a 5 min walk from my house!)

Back