Decline of sign language

Deaf Images said:
Heck! We are normal people and it is the hearing who are more disabled. If they do not know what to do with us, they are more handicapped. They are the ones who needed interpreters.
This hearing person is fluent in ASL and loves Deaf Culture. Deaf Culture ROCKS!!! Not all of us are bad.

Deaf Images said:
WE CAN DO ANYTHING EXCEPT TO HEAR!
125% AGREED!!! :cheers:

Audiofuzzy said:
Depends what you mean by disability. What do you call lack of hearing, then?

Disability does not mean you are unable to function normally or almost as well as able person. Disability just states the fact of your general heatlh, being able. You are not able to hear... that's the fact.

Fuzzy
Oh come on; lighten up....

Originally Posted by Deaf Images
Heck! We are normal people and it is the hearing who are more disabled. If they do not know what to do with us, they are more handicapped. They are the ones who needed interpreters.

No doubt that. ;) Thats the huge problem Hearing people dont want to pay the interpreter 's expenses. Are we being punished by being deaf? I think not!

Thats the problem for us deafies that many deafies are very blind and dont realize what they are doing it to themselves after all they stick up for Cochlear Implant Corporation and allowed to rip us off for a very wrong reason. That s real greedy, oppressive, evil, and selfish..

I have seen parents were disappointed after all they get a false high hope because the company said cure and miracle that turns me off.

CI is not making you a hearing person. So be it! It will give you complication problem sooner or later. I know it so. It s the same old routine cycle of oral method rule that will not change a bit in today's.

For those people who support CI 100 percent that they have no remorse for d/Deaf children and Deaf muiltiplied disabily s true identity and Acceptance of being deaf.

I find this is odd strange that Cochlear Implant do call deafies as disability or handicap but deaf people with audist attitude said they are not disability. It s too mixed messages going on when I m seeing in few forums.. It s too complication in their heads that doesnt have the good condition of their state of mind iin themselves. I can see deafies with audist attitude dont know what they are getting into and are taking granted by these audist attitude people out there as I can see very clearly. It s absouletly sad to see like this happens in our Deaf community.

They actually laughed at them but not me. ;)

Sighs! ;)
Sweetmind

Sweetmind said:
I find this is odd strange that Cochlear Implant do call deafies as disability or handicap but deaf people with audist attitude said they are not disability. It s too mixed messages going on when I m seeing in few forums..
An interesting paradox. I noticed this too.

I agree that we can do anything but to a limit. We can't hold jobs that requires communication with new faces on a daily basis. These little things are what I want my children to be able to do.

Deafness is a handicap. Period. We're lacking one of five senses and whoever thinks it's not a handicap is out of their mind. But I don't see it as horrible as lacking any one of the other four senses.

We'd rather be deaf as opposed to being blind. We'd rather be deaf than losing the sense of smell, taste and touch. We'd rather be deaf than hearing... wait, why?!

Exactly, I have been whistling past the graveyard on this very point. When it stares at you in the face everyday, you can't avoid that conclusion about deafness being a handicap (at least if one is honest with one's self). Somehow all this gets tangled up with past and current grievances of hearing against deaf, intrinsic worth, and other stuff.

Denial is has a way of limiting one's horizon.... It was when I faced it that I achieved more than was thought possible.

Sweetmind said:
...............CI is not making you a hearing person. So be it! It will give you complication problem sooner or later. I know it so. It s the same old routine cycle of oral method rule that will not change a bit in today's.
My daughter was sitting on the slide today and I say to her, without sign, "Hi Lotte, Wave" and guess what... she waved.. To me that was because she heared. She had no visible clues to get the message, so she heared it and ubderstood. To me, that means she hears. What's your definition of a "hearing person"?
Another example: She sat in the car with my wife, straight behind her chair. Lotte was going through the numbers, one to nine. At eight she said "eigh", and my wife (in the car, motor on, no visual clues) said eigh-T pronouncing the T at the end. Lotte repeated that straight after it.... To me, that means she can hear. She's growing up hearing, she will be a hearing person.........

But give me your definition of when someone is hearing!..

Sweetmind said:
...For those people who support CI 100 percent that they have no remorse for d/Deaf children and Deaf muiltiplied disabily s true identity and Acceptance of being deaf.
.....I can't really foolow this sentence but something did struck me.
How is it we are suddely talking about multiple disabilities, I guess deafness and blindness? So deafness is a diability and when you're also blind your multiple disable? I thought that deafness was not a disability for the Deaf. Then being blind and deaf is just a single disability.....

Cloggy said:
My daughter was sitting on the slide today and I say to her, without sign, "Hi Lotte, Wave" and guess what... she waved.. To me that was because she heared. She had no visible clues to get the message, so she heared it and ubderstood. To me, that means she hears. What's your definition of a "hearing person"?
Another example: She sat in the car with my wife, straight behind her chair. Lotte was going through the numbers, one to nine. At eight she said "eigh", and my wife (in the car, motor on, no visual clues) said eigh-T pronouncing the T at the end. Lotte repeated that straight after it.... To me, that means she can hear. She's growing up hearing, she will be a hearing person.........

Okay Okay ....... sure your daughter is hearing as you make it out .. so leave us alone and why have to bother us deafies here !! ... whatever you telling us here that will not going change our minds ... Like I said while ago .. that Am happy to be deaf and always will be deaf ....
Also maybe you said that we deafies have missing out with the beautiful sounds etc .. yet again I do not bother and I am happy to be peace and quiet lol ... my sister often telling me that I am lucky because I can not hear .. it does make me feel to be good to know what my sister said to me ...
I sure tired of read all the same things over over over it will not to achive anything for you.. so you have said that your daughter is hearing and she will be hearing when she is older .. that is the end of story for you ok.. just leave us alone ...
But ! please remember when her CI turn off she is DEAF okay thank you... am outta here !! because I sure tired of your Bighead to telling us thinking your the better than us deafies .. again that where your wrong ... :roll: I does to have a great life .. what more I wanna ...
:bye: ...... :angel:

Thank you, CutiePommie for expressing the truth.. I m not the only one who saw it from the beginning. He thinks we are being stupid and fall for it after all he spoke for himself not his daughter. After all destroy my topic post he thinks he knows it all. It reminds me of what my parents think ooo you are so good lipread and orally speaking. They think I am better other deaf people s orally speaking. I dont give a hoot. It s more likely same rountine what I had learned from audism people that what she is dealing with when I was a little toddlers.

And also, I was a child poster and spread out the newspaper. I was having a big gold star on my hands for doing a good job with my orally speaking with a head phone. Scoffs! Look how people treat d/Deaf children like that all those years and years that have NOT change with the ATTITUDE toward deafies yet.

No wonder he hate my guts. I wont let him get away with it. Of course she is deaf no matter what. He love to poke my arses until I agree with him.. Scoffs! He didnt believe me that I did worked with Deaf children with HA and CI devices.. And I saw it the similiar old routine cycles and watched them all along. It s no difference from me as a Deaf child.

After all oral method failed us in many ways and still force Deaf kids to speak and listen those devices. It doesnt make any sense for us to worship audism attitude people who destroy our Deaf children s education and abilities of being deaf at first place. We are blamed for a failure while audism people said they tried to help us. Yea right after all they treats us, second class citizens, oppression, prejudice, and discrimination as usual.

Their attitude thinks of HEAR and SPEAK only.. Nothing is good about our Deaf languages, true identity, acceptance, our hands to communicate and many more.

OOoooOO The term of Deaf is horrible thing to be seen and not allowed to be use that term because it must say HEARING HEARING HEARING. What s that supposed to be for them to take over Deaf community and control over us deafies. *RME*

Thanks!
Sweetmind

You are missing the point. Hearing and speech skills are benefitical because it gives you the same opportunies the hearing people has.

Hearing music, ambient sounds and et cetera are just an added bonus.

I understand if you don't want to hear anything at all. To each their own, really.

CutePommie said:
.............whatever you telling us here that will not going change our minds ... Like I said while ago .. that Am happy to be deaf and always will be deaf ....
Cutie... I'm not trying to change you at all. I can't figure out why you think this. I know you are happy being deaf and the last thing I would want you to be is unhappy.
CutePommie said:
......Also maybe you said that we deafies have missing out with the beautiful sounds etc .. yet again I do not bother and I am happy to be peace and quiet lol ... my sister often telling me that I am lucky because I can not hear .. it does make me feel to be good to know what my sister said to me ...
... no, I said music is big. That hearing people (mostly) enjoy music. I never said you missed out. You never heared music. You might have felt it.... Anyway, I don't know.
By the way, do you think your sister actually means it. Sure, to be without sounds is great sometimes, but would she want to exchange places with you?
Looking forward to the answer...
CutePommie said:
I sure tired of read all the same things over over over it will not to achive anything for you........
This must be directed towards Sweetmind. I'll pass it on.
CutePommie said:
so you have said that your daughter is hearing and she will be hearing when she is older .. that is the end of story for you ok.. just leave us alone ...
Oh yeh, that what this was about.... Sweetmind's statement that deaf people can't hear, and I gave some examples of how some (just my daughter) can.
I asked her for her definition about when someone can hear.
But that doesn't mean that you are not allowed to answer.
Cutie, When do you consider someone hearing?
CutePommie said:
But ! please remember when her CI turn off she is DEAF okay thank you...
She is deaf, yes. She is deaf. Not Deaf, just deaf. And when she is not wearing CI she cannot hear. SO then she's deaf and... she cannot hear. So, when she is wearing the CI she is deaf and.... she can hear.

Come-on... Stop getting irritated and make some real contributions to the discussion.

Hello Sweetie,
You assume too much. I'll explain where...
Sweetmind said:
....He thinks we are being stupid and fall for it after all he spoke for himself not his daughter.
I don't think you're stupid.
Sweetmind said:
....No wonder he hate my guts.
I don't.
Sweetmind said:
....He didnt believe me that I did worked with Deaf children with HA and CI devices..
I do believe that. I do suspect it has been a while.

Otherwise, if it makes you feel better, you are welcome to assume it..

Lots of love,

Cloggy

Come-on... Stop getting irritated and make some real contributions to the discussion.

Look at yourself and your audism followers and disrespectful toward my topic post about Evidence of being deaf with HA that relates our deafness we do not hear everything with those devices. Mind you! You did it on purpose while we didnt.

Say it aloud in your own evil mirror that laughed so hard for you.

Sweetmind said:
Look at yourself and your audism followers and disrespectful toward my topic post about Evidence of being deaf with HA that relates our deafness we do not hear everything with those devices. Mind you! You did it on purpose while we didnt.

Say it aloud in your own evil mirror that laughed so hard for you.

"My audism followers".... getting better and better....

You're right. "Evidence of being deaf with HA"
Sweetmind... My daughter is deaf with an aid. She's deaf by birth. You consider her deaf. With an aid, will she allways be deaf and "therefore experience deaf with an aid".

Look at yourself and your audism followers and disrespectful toward my topic post about Evidence of being deaf with HA that relates our deafness we do not hear everything with those devices.

How many times can we repeat WE DON'T THINK DEVICES ENABLE TO HEAR EVERYTHING?

HEARING DEVICES, including COCHLEAR IMPLANTS, do not restore hearing 100%. they do not restore it at all! they just assist with hearing and the success of this assist varies from minimal to optimal!!

and I am no audist.

Got it now?

Fuzzy

Fragmenter said:
You are missing the point. Hearing and speech skills are benefitical because it gives you the same opportunies the hearing people has.
So, you're saying "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!" instead of "Fight for your rights!"???? If so, that's not a good idea.

Fragmenter said:
Hearing music, ambient sounds and et cetera are just an added bonus.
Loud people, loud music, nails scratching a chalkboard, shoes squeaking loudly on the floor, people throwing books on the table, lawn mowers, loud trucks with noisy loads--yeah, THOSE are good reasons to hear... :roll:

gnulinuxman said:
So, you're saying "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!" instead of "Fight for your rights!"???? If so, that's not a good idea.

Loud people, loud music, nails scratching a chalkboard, shoes squeaking loudly on the floor, people throwing books on the table, lawn mowers, loud trucks with noisy loads--yeah, THOSE are good reasons to hear... :roll:
And this is where we start summing up the nice sounds..... Somebody start a new topic about nice sounds...

gnulinuxman said:

No. It's a good idea to have these skills so you can live your life as efficiently as possible. Easy example: drive thru windows wouldn't feel like such a hassle if you could hear and talk. Less energy spent in struggling with the hearing people equals more energy available to spend in other areas of your life.

About those annoying sounds? I don't know about you but beautiful sounds happens too. Seems like ignorance is bliss from your comments.

Back