Deaf Children's Bill of Rights

Bottesini,

Good at counting! :thumb:

Which is better if I can change my talking back to common words or speaking something different? Is that the attitude? If I say something normal, people won't notice so I rather talk something different for a change as good advertisting. :laugh2:

:cool2:

No. Yelling at people and telling them to do exactly what you want when you just got here.

Were you raised in a barn?

Use some manners.

For anyone from Illinois that is interested. Illinois State Deaf and Hard of Hearing Commission. Welcome to Illinois Deaf and Hard of Hearing Commission

HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION 1

WHEREAS, The provision of a free appropriate public education (FAPE) for a student with hearing loss can only occur with full communication access to education; and

WHEREAS, Full communication access depends upon a language-rich environment that fosters age-appropriate communication and language development, utilizes language-proficient educational staff, and provides for direct communication with staff and peers; and

WHEREAS, Children and youth who are deaf or hard of hearing face unique and significant barriers related to language and communication that profoundly affect most aspects of the educational process; and

WHEREAS, Attending to a student's communication needs and language development is a vital prerequisite for access to educational opportunities that lead to literacy and academic achievement; therefore, be it

RESOLVED, BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE NINETY-FIFTH GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF ILLINOIS, THE SENATE CONCURRING HEREIN, that there is created the Joint Task Force on Deaf and Hard of Hearing Education Options, consisting of fifteen members appointed as follows: the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Minority Leader of the House of Representatives, President of the Senate, and Minority Leader of the Senate shall each appoint one member; the Illinois Deaf and Hard of Hearing Commission, the Illinois State Board of Education, the Illinois Department of Human Services-Early Intervention, the Illinois Department of Human Services-Illinois School for the Deaf, and the Illinois Department of Public Health-Newborn Hearing Screening Program shall each appoint one member; and additionally, the Illinois Deaf and Hard of Hearing Commission shall appoint an additional 6 members from various agencies serving the deaf and hard of
hearing population; and be it further

RESOLVED, That all members of the Task Force shall serve without compensation; and be it further

RESOLVED, That all members of the Communication Options Committee established by the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Commission with the collaboration of the State Board of Education shall continue in their representation on the Joint Task Force on Deaf and Hard of Hearing Education Options; and be it further

RESOLVED, That the Task Force can appoint members as it sees fit to serve as representatives of the deaf and hard of hearing population of Illinois or parents of children with hearing loss representing each of the following communication options: Oral/aural, Cued Speech, Total Communication, American Sign Language, and tactile sign language; and be it further

RESOLVED, That the duty of the Task Force is to undertake a comprehensive and thorough review of education and services available to the deaf or hard of hearing children in Illinois with the intent of making recommendations that would recognize communication as fundamental to a deaf or hard of hearing child's most basic of needs; ensure communication-driven service delivery of the early intervention system and the public education system with programs and services addressing the unique communication needs of each child through communication assessment, development, and access; establish uniform methods and procedures within the early intervention system and the public education system that shall be non-biased and well-informed when sharing information with children and their families on the available communication options and community resource awareness; and be it further

RESOLVED, That the Task Force, working with the Illinois Deaf and Hard of Hearing Commission, the Illinois State Board of Education, the Early Intervention System, the Illinois School for the Deaf, and the Newborn Hearing Screening Program, shall assist those entities in developing interagency agreements and programs and procedures regarding universal, early identification of hearing loss and effective interface between medical and educational services; and be it further

RESOLVED, That the Illinois State Board of Education, the Illinois Department of Human Services, and the Illinois Deaf and Hard of Hearing Commission shall collectively administer and prepare all reports deemed necessary in conjunction with the Task Force actively; and be it further

RESOLVED, That the Task Force may request assistance from any entity necessary or useful for the performance of its duties; and be it further

RESOLVED, That the Task Force shall issue a report with its recommendations to the General Assembly on or before December 31, 2007.

HJ0001 Engrossed LRB095 03798 KXB 23828 r

For those of you that are educators (or anyone else) I would be interested in your comments regarding this report. Are we on the right track? http://www.idhhc.state.il.us/pdfs/Ed_Report_206.pdf

I like Issue VII about teacher who work with deaf children getting a provision on their certification in the field of Deaf education rather than Special Education. Also, requiring teachers to become experienced in ASL.

However, I think they should eliminate the MCE systems from it. Too much different systems creates more confusion for those teachers who have little knowledge of deafness. Keep it simple...use two pure languages...ASL and English.

Issue VIII is also good..

Issue I is too broad..need to be more specific.

I like Issue VII about teacher who work with deaf children getting a provision on their certification in the field of Deaf education rather than Special Education. Also, requiring teachers to become experienced in ASL.

However, I think they should eliminate the MCE systems from it. Too much different systems creates more confusion for those teachers who have little knowledge of deafness. Keep it simple...use two pure languages...ASL and English.

Issue VIII is also good..

Issue I is too broad..need to be more specific.
Thanks. I did not see any reference to MCE's in there. Please tell me where you saw that.

Thanks. I did not see any reference to MCE's in there. Please tell me where you saw that.

In Issue VII in the goal statement where it said "Each institution of higher education providing initial teacher certification in deaf/hard of hearing will incorporate introductory knowledge and experiences in languages (American Sign Language and English) and communication modes ( including, but not limited to, Spoken English, manually coded English & Cued Speech used by and with students with hearing loss.

*I had to type this out cuz the attachment wouldnt allow me to copy and paste it*

In Issue VII in the goal statement where it said "Each institution of higher education providing initial teacher certification in deaf/hard of hearing will incorporate introductory knowledge and experiences in languages (American Sign Language and English) and communication modes ( including, but not limited to, Spoken English, manually coded English & Cued Speech used by and with students with hearing loss.

*I had to type this out cuz the attachment wouldnt allow me to copy and paste it*
Sometimes in a PDF you have to go into "select mode" to be able to copy and past. Anyway, thanks. I do see it now. Do you believe that MCE's are totally useless? Even for simcom? And what about all the kids that have been exposed to and use them. Should we just cut them off?

I will confirm this but it looks like even though my state rejected the bill they did come to the house joint resolutions as posted above and also formed the Illinois State Deaf and Hard of Hearing Commission which does appear to be addressing the issues that the NAD has pointed out.

The point of a Bill of Right for deaf kids is that they would be getting communication in their mode of communication. It would not be just ASL. If the child is oral, it would guarantee professionals knowledgeable in spoken language acquisition for deaf kids.

Sometimes in a PDF you have to go into "select mode" to be able to copy and past. Anyway, thanks. I do see it now. Do you believe that MCE's are totally useless? Even for simcom? And what about all the kids that have been exposed to and use them. Should we just cut them off?

I don't believe in using MCEs when teaching and I refuse to Sim-Com because one language usually gets compromised.

If people want to use MCEs to communicate outside of school, that's their decision and not my place to tell them they can or can't.

I was referring to teaching and the goal in that particular issue was referring to the educational setting. IMO, it is best to keep things as simple regarding to language because the standards of the curriculm are complex enough. No need to make learning more difficult for deaf children.

Again, that's my opinion based on my personal beliefs and experience in the field of Deaf Ed.

I will confirm this but it looks like even though my state rejected the bill they did come to the house joint resolutions as posted above and also formed the Illinois State Deaf and Hard of Hearing Commission which does appear to be addressing the issues that the NAD has pointed out.

Rockdrummer, I was rather suprised to hear your state rejected the bill. Do you know any other state does pass the bill? I'm curiously asking.

Thanks for the info.

No. Yelling at people and telling them to do exactly what you want when you just got here.

Were you raised in a barn?

Use some manners.

Use my manners??? I have asked several people here and other forums and seem everybody is not answering some of my questions that got me frustrated. You have no idea what other country here in Africa has no Bill of rights for Deaf adult/children that why I post it here to bring it up the discussion and concern. I am very suprised that we are not behind here in Africa.

I came here to get the information and to make move fast. The Deaf children and HOH children are dying due to insufficient knowledge and more and more teachers coming to school knew nothing of sign language that got me extremely worried. I am here for a push for last time.

If my comments already offencing you, rather make a pass because we didn't have much time left. Won't you agree?

I am giving you a proper apology.

We need to get down to business. Keep on talking. If I would have not post my comment here in the first place, maybe this post will become a web!

Keep going. All the best.

Rockdrummer, I was rather suprised to hear your state rejected the bill. Do you know any other state does pass the bill? I'm curiously asking.

Thanks for the info.
Even though my state rejected the bill, after doing some research it looks like they have passed resolutions and also formed the Illinois State Deaf and Hard of Hearing Commission instead of passing the bill which from what I am reading seems to be addressing the issues.

To find out what is going on in other states, click on the link in post #1, I also provided it for you in post #33 and I put it below for you again. Click on the link below and you can see what the NAD has provided regarding the deaf childrens bill of rights on a per state basis. I hope this helps.

Bill of Rights for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children - National Association of the Deaf

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish all you guys luck getting this bill passed. It sounds really worth while.

Even though my state rejected the bill, after doing some research it looks like they have passed resolutions and also formed the Illinois State Deaf and Hard of Hearing Commission instead of passing the bill which from what I am reading seems to be addressing the issues.

To find out what is going on in other states, click on the link in post #1, I also provided it for you in post #33 and I put it below for you again. Click on the link below and you can see what the NAD has provided regarding the deaf childrens bill of rights on a per state basis. I hope this helps.

Bill of Rights for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children - National Association of the Deaf

Thank you rockdrummer, I found it.

Huh??? Everything seems off the track after all I asked you several questions. What kind of discussion here? Sigh! Please try focus on some primarily important questions in reality otherwise I would waste my time posting here and will definetely feel disappointing.

Get things back in track and get reality otherwise we are making Bill of Rights for Deaf people/children as toliet paper! Sorry for saying things straight, pull up your socks and get back to work as we are seeking to debate here.

Right, I am waiting...

What are you criticizing?

Back