Deaf Children's Bill of Rights

In my state (Illinois) the DCBR did not pass :pissed:. I went to the link but couldn't see why it didn't pass or what is next.

Illinois DCBR bill which did not pass: Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for SB1522 Illinois Communication Options (Doc) Education Options Task Force

If it didn't pass, the next step would be to petition legislators and to become involved in any action that the state organizations for the deaf is initiating.

JMO, but if we, as parents of deaf children, don't start taking action regarding the inequities in the education of deaf chidlren, we will never see any productive change. It takes time and effort, but our deaf children are worth the time and effort.

In my state (Illinois) the DCBR did not pass :pissed:. I went to the link but couldn't see why it didn't pass or what is next.

Illinois DCBR bill which did not pass: Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for SB1522 Illinois Communication Options (Doc) Education Options Task Force

If it didn't pass, the next step would be to petition legislators and to become involved in any action that the state organizations for the deaf is initiating.

JMO, but if we, as parents of deaf children, don't start taking action regarding the inequities in the education of deaf chidlren, we will never see any productive change. It takes time and effort, but our deaf children are worth the time and effort. It didn't pass in my state,either, rd, but I have already begun contacting legislators and organizations. My son is past the age to have this apply, but I think this is an important issue to deaf children and education. I would love to see changes in place that quarantee that other parents of deaf children will not have to fight the long and time consuming battles with schools that I did. Then they will be free to be parents and to simply interact with their children the way a parent interacts with hearing children.

JMO, but if we, as parents of deaf children, don't start taking action regarding the inequities in the education of deaf chidlren, we will never see any productive change. It takes time and effort, but our deaf children are worth the time and effort.
Right but in many cases we don't know how much we don't know. I hope that makes sense. I do agree parental involvement is important but I also believe that the experts that have the knowledge and statistics including the scientific community and deaf associations should be pressing hard as well.

Also it looks like the last action on that bill was 11/05.

Right but in many cases we don't know how much we don't know. I hope that makes sense. I do agree parental involvement is important but I also believe that the experts that have the knowledge and statistics including the scientific community and deaf associations should be pressing hard as well.

Also it looks like the last action on that bill was 11/05.

Granted, but those organizations need the support of the people that are affected by such. If the deaf community and the hearing parents of deaf children press, it adds validity and impact.

I wonder why nobody has done anything in my state about this since 11/05? Perhaps it's time to send an email to our representitives.

Cheri. check with your state reps or perhaps Ohio deaf associations to see if it's something that is currently being pursued.

While there isnt a Bill of Rights in my state there is however a Task Force for Deaf Education. I have not heard of the group but hopefully there is some way I can get involved.

Dont have one in MD...I will email this link to everyone I know. Get this going...

Way to go.. That great for American..
I wish would same thing goes for Canada.. but Canada is very weak teeth!

yeah. plus canada is trying to ban the use of sign language for kids with CI's.

yeah. plus canada is trying to ban the use of sign language for kids with CI's.

Yes! That correct..
94% percent AT School CI-CHILDREN aren't allowed use sign languages in Ontario,Canada.
I have no idea information further about rest other provinces. I'll find it out soon w/my friend source rest other provinces.

I have since made a new post on my deaf blog relating to this and included a link to the NAD site. Please leave a comment and/or share the link with all your friends/family.

Back