Deaf Children's Bill of Rights

so you were in a mainstream class? and you did fine? ok then why would you need more help and so called access if you did well?

I am surprise that you don't know anything about us being deaf. If you think that we should lipread the hearing teachers and hearing students 100%. That is not entirely true at all. We need to learn ASL to be able to understand ASL interpreters and have notetakers so that we can understand what we are suppose to do in the hearing classrooms and get straight A. Trying to make sense with lipreading what the teachers and students are saying get us lost big time. That is why we need all the accomodations to be able to understand what is going on in the classroom. Sure, we seem to make it okay but we rely on reading books but that is not the same when the teachers or students are discussing in the classrooms. That is the purpose why we need the Deaf Children's Bill of Rights to pass the bill so that the Deaf children have access to the accomodations that they need to understand what is going on in the mainstream school including the Deaf school. Most hearing people like the AGBell group never fully understand how we have suffer in the mainstream schools with low grades or for lack of not understanding in the hearing classrooms. Now don't you make me get upset if we can not have the accommodation at all. :roll:

Well, judging from your post, I'd say that is an untrue statement.

the two schools I went too the deaf kids only went to the deaf class thats what I saw, allthough now that I think of it we did have one dude who had a note taker and was provided a "manuscript" of what was said

ok I just read the bill of rights thinger on the first page hehe and I found most of it was allready in place at my school in 04, now according to that there would be no difference in the school I went too, but I beleive that maybe some other schools out there may not have this (low budget whatever) then those schools should have it if they dont.

I am surprise that you don't know anything about us being deaf. :

huh? seriously? I knew what it was like at my schools, the deaf hoh kids had there own classes services to a cafeterria (it said somewhere the deaf hoh children werent getting access to cafeteria or lunch, im guessing some schools arent giving that to them seems kinda wrong. and somewhat funny since I dont beleive a deaf kid cant get into lunch, the parents would be outraged haha

I am surprise that you don't know anything about us being deaf. If you think that we should lipread the hearing teachers and hearing students 100%. That is not entirely true at all. We need to learn ASL to be able to understand ASL interpreters and have notetakers so that we can understand what we are suppose to do in the hearing classrooms and get straight A. Trying to make sense with lipreading what the teachers and students are saying get us lost big time. That is why we need all the accomodations to be able to understand what is going on in the classroom. Sure, we seem to make it okay but we rely on reading books but that is not the same when the teachers or students are discussing in the classrooms. That is the purpose why we need the Deaf Children's Bill of Rights to pass the bill so that the Deaf children have access to the accomodations that they need to understand what is going on in the mainstream school including the Deaf school. Most hearing people like the AGBell group never fully understand how we have suffer in the mainstream schools with low grades or for lack of not understanding in the hearing classrooms. Now don't you make me get upset if we can not have the accommodation at all. :roll:

I have not forgotten my mainstream days. It's hard to lipread the back of a teacher's head when she talks while she's writing on the blackboard or if she walks all over the classroom. I had to read tons of stuff to catch up on what I missed out in class.

I have not forgotten my mainstream days. It's hard to lipread the back of a teacher's head when she talks while she's writing on the blackboard or if she walks all over the classroom. I had to read tons of stuff to catch up on what I missed out in class.

Me too! :wave:

hmmm thats kinda intersting, ok I dont beleive we need more programs for deaf kids, as long as they get the same amount of education as hearing kids and vice versa which I think they allready do, but I also know this I dont think all school districts may or may not be allowing eqaul education, however I know some do so what needs to happen is target the schools that dont allow same education, not the ones that give equal access allready, and the point im making is dont give more access to the deaf kid and none to the hearing kid thats discriminatory. but I think your making a valid point

I don't think it would be discriminatory for Deaf children to have better access than hearing children - this is not the point, hearing children/adult have widespread access to telephone, flatter flatter around for opportunity while Deaf children/adult can't. It not something special, it something "need" not "want" for better access such as ASL, bi-bi language and other most basic useful tool to meet the Deaf child/ren need such as future potential. You know what I'm saying?

The matter of fact, I have heard thousand stories around, most Deaf adults were very angry with infalliable education system because they get little benefit due lack of signing and half information in the classroom. The employment rate is increasing every year. This is the reason why I came here very much concern about Deaf children. I heard recently there more and more teachers coming to Deaf school that knew nothing of sign language especially here in Africa - that will going to be a big problem for Deaf children in nowadays. I felt like sitting typing here like a lame duck!

Hi, I realised this discussion is not what I am looking for, I would rather do some action instead of posting discussions. Wish me luck. :wave:

Back