Crisis at Gallaudet University

Yes that is correct ! I am extremely angry with medical society for destroy our next generation Deaf children due to CI and more mainstream schools.

Jane grew up in hearing world. We prefer to select a Deaf person who grow up in Deaf school, family and culture. Our next Deaf generation look up at Gallaudent President who is profoundly Deaf. Show them that they can do successful with their career without using CI or reliable mainstream schools. Show the hearing world that we can do !

QUOTE]

I grew up in the hearing world not by choice so basically you are saying I am not qualified to run for president at Gallaudet just because I wasnt lucky enough to grow up knowing about the deaf culture, with deaf family or in a deaf school? Nobody showed nor taught me anything about deaf culture so of course I was clueless. Suppose I want to run for president for Gallaudet...I wont have any luck cuz my parents chose to put me in a hearing world? I am fluent in ASL thanks to my years as a grad student at Gally, I teach at a deaf school, and feel that I am culturally deaf now.

In my opinion, by choosing a president solely because he/she grew up in a deaf school, with deaf friends, and to a deaf family is wrong because that is just pure discrimination against a majority of the deaf population. Many of us wern born to hearing families who chose how we should grow up. We shouldnt be "punished" for that. I disagree with you on that one.

Shel90 -- I agree with you on this. I grew up in a hearing world until I came to Gallaudet and learned ASL in '84. Now I am into the Deaf community as a family.

Again I am neutral on Deaf president and protest. -

1,000 Protesters At The Front Gate

“Last night, about 1,000 protesters stood shoulder to shoulder from the front gates of the school in Northeast Washington up a hill to Chapel Hall.”

1000 protesters already! Way to go! Unity for Gallaudet is growing rapidly. With the homecoming weekend coming up, more protesters will come. Keep on with the momentum! We are doing incredibly well.

Kudos to Susan Kinzie! I’ve been in contact with this reporter since last May, passing along important letters from different people and updating her on events on campus. She was the only one who really tried hard to understand the real issues. I’m gratified to see that in the midst of massive reporting of erroneous information by various media sources this month, she is the only one who had it pegged right this time. Finally we have a reporter who is really good at her job and listens to both sides. Her work is to be commended. For anyone who wants to contact her and let her know the specifics regarding the protest, please contact her at kinzies@washpost.com

1,000 Protesters At The Front Gate « Mishka Zena

High percent hearing people are afraid to approach Deaf people because of our speak voice is properly sounds.

Personally speaking, even before I started learning sign language, I never actually was afraid of approaching a deaf person, it's just that I wouldn't be able to communicate with them and I'd be worried about appearing disrespectful or worse- condescending. Even now that I'm studying ASL, I'm a bit shy around deaf people only because I just know a few signs and there's but so many times you can say, "Hi, how are you"? "Fine, and you?" "Fine, thanks."

Got bored just reading that, didn't you? Now imagine that dialouge each time you see me. Heck, you'd probably be running from me instead of the other way around.

I could care less about how a deaf person sounds.

I could care less about how a deaf person sounds.

True..most hearing people that I have encountered...mind u, I grew up with only hearing people around me, havent minded about my "deaf" voice. Usually, they would ask me to repeat myself. I was the one who was embarrassed about it as a child but now, I realize that I am who I am and if the hearing person cant understand me, I would write it down. I have never encountered a hearing person running away from me cuz of my voice..LOL!

1,000 Protesters At The Front Gate

“Last night, about 1,000 protesters stood shoulder to shoulder from the front gates of the school in Northeast Washington up a hill to Chapel Hall.”

1000 protesters already! Way to go! Unity for Gallaudet is growing rapidly. With the homecoming weekend coming up, more protesters will come. Keep on with the momentum! We are doing incredibly well.

Kudos to Susan Kinzie! I’ve been in contact with this reporter since last May, passing along important letters from different people and updating her on events on campus. She was the only one who really tried hard to understand the real issues. I’m gratified to see that in the midst of massive reporting of erroneous information by various media sources this month, she is the only one who had it pegged right this time. Finally we have a reporter who is really good at her job and listens to both sides. Her work is to be commended. For anyone who wants to contact her and let her know the specifics regarding the protest, please contact her at kinzies@washpost.com

1,000 Protesters At The Front Gate « Mishka Zena

That's what we need to do clear the media's misinformation as why the protest went on. So were some people did the same out there other than media. It's her poor leadership, not the lesser issues like deaf and audism issues for the sake.

It's so sad that so many students are having their educations interrupted this way. The poor students who pay good money and work hard for their schooling are stuck. :(
Yep. And... it's not Jane's fault. It's the protesters'. :(

JUCK FANE!

Those people who are giving a pity on Jane needs to do a little research about her.

Jane knew that she do not deserve to become president, but the money talks.

JUCK FANE!

Those people who are giving a pity on Jane needs to do a little research about her.

Jane knew that she do not deserve to become president, but the money talks.

Wow, you sure said it straight! :eek3: :ty:

Protest getting stronger after many alumni heard students got arrested for nothing reasons and they came to Gallaudet right away...

Susan gets everything right when it comes to reporting on Deaf culture. I've been impressed with her articles and I read hers for all of the news regarding the protest. With other reporters, I get upset when they say, "James said through an interpreter." The story is about deaf people and they interviewed a deaf person. Of course he is going to speak through an interpreter unless the reporter knows ASL. I've emailed a few reporters about this and they say stuff like, "Oh I say that because he WAS using an interpreter and it's the right thing to say."

Susan, however, does not say that. She understands the culture and her readers and assumes that her readers are intelligent enough to understand the implications of a signer conversing with a hearing person.

Nice to see Jane using my words and theories in her latest article.

Richard

JANE! I cant stand her. I cant stand her lying. I cant stand her think everything's OK! If nobody want her then why cant she just resign!! Serious!!! She will always carry the black cloud over her head for a lng time if she remains the president as a Gally! She said she do cares about Galladute then RESIGN!!!! The MAIN reason why we want her OUT IS BECAUSE she DOESNT CARE about us! She didn't BOTHER to involve with us, She didn't bother to show up the forums mtgs, She didn't bother to discuss the future with us, She didn't bother to do this... And that.... So what S her point to continue her president job? What's she trying to do? TAKE OVER the culture? NO WAY!!! WE protest this to PROTECT our culture and history!! THATS IT! Simply really.. Some of you say oh pls grow up!! But Did you REALLY research this?? READ and RESEARCH to find what's the MAIN reason we protest... Think about it!! FOR THE LAST TIME! ITS NOT CUZ OF SHES NOT ENOUGH DEAF!!! ITS NOT THE REASON!!!!!!!

Back