Crisis at Gallaudet University

now 61st made arrested with new link of live updated, click here live protest blogging | Scallion Stallion

Be sure watch news at 11 if u are in MD, DC, and VA for update more on arrested situation!!

Yep the arrests were shown on the local news here in MD. Saw video of students being carried away. Weird that it was a very short coverage and the media stated "Standoff at Gallaudet ends tonight." True or not? Just have to wait and see...

Can't understand why the former leader DPN Tim Rarus and the rest accepted IJK as a Deaf President at the first place .. now they wants him out and also he wants Jane F out. I don't know the whole story about the news. I find this a very disappointing news. I am neutral and move on with my life. It is so sad this world is messed up lately.

Gallaudet Students Arrested

Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, October 14, 2006; Page B01

The president of Gallaudet University told protesting students last night that they had to end the three-day demonstration that has shut down the elite college for the deaf or face arrest.

The ultimatum by longtime leader I. King Jordan was delivered to protesters at the school's main entrance on Florida Avenue NE about 7 p.m. It further raised tensions that have been building at the school for almost a week and smoldering since May, when students began protesting the appointment of incoming president Jane K. Fernandes.
By 9 p.m., campus police had begun arresting protesters.

Throngs of jeering students continued to block the school's Sixth Street entrance.

The demonstration, with students blocking several entrances and camping out on campus, has halted activity at the school and left the campus littered with trash and debris.

Jordan's announcement came as Fernandes met with students to negotiate yesterday, the first time since protesters shut down the school earlier this week.

For several days, students have been demanding that Fernandes come and talk with them.

When she did yesterday, she emerged from a black sport-utility vehicle and, flanked by two security officers, stepped out to a security gatepost at the top of the hill at the Florida Avenue entrance.

"For one week, deaf infants and children and youth up to grade 8 have not been able to go to school," she said, referring to the elementary and high schools for deaf students on the campus.

"For one week, our model high school has been closed. For one week, both undergraduate and graduate students have been denied their education. For one week, we have had no mail delivered. Deaf babies scheduled for hearing tests and audiology exams are not able to get on campus. Senior citizens who are hard of hearing and seek the services of our audiology clinic cannot get here.

"This has gone on long enough," she said. "I am asking a small group of students to join me now for a conversation about reopening Gallaudet University without delay. I hope you will meet with me."

They did that afternoon, but students left disappointed.

Here is a link

Gallaudet Students Arrested - washingtonpost.com

steady at 93 numbers arrested and 3rd wave of human chain is getting 2nd warning after police vans are arrived.... Now 3rd wave are waiting for 3rd warning, last warning before arrested for violated dc code #22-307... Students chating said what are u waiting for?? arrest us!!!

steady at 93 numbers arrested and 3rd wave of human chain is getting 2nd warning after police vans are arrived.... Now 3rd wave are waiting for 3rd warning, last warning before arrested for violated dc code #22-307... Students chating said what are u waiting for?? arrest us!!!

You may next arrest. ;)

Giving Gallaudet a Bad Name

Friday, October 13, 2006; Page A28

UNHAPPY WITH Gallaudet University's choice of a new president, students continued their blockade of the campus yesterday. Hundreds of students were being denied their college education. Elementary and high school students also were locked out of their Kendall Green schools, which share the campus. Every lost day of school for them is significant.

Gallaudet officials, to their credit, sought a peaceful end to the stalemate. But to every overture, students changed their demands, reneged on deals and, in the end, essentially dared the university to arrest them. This has been the pattern since demonstrations began in the spring. The ultimatums they threw down -- a new presidential search and the withdrawal of Jane K. Fernandes's appointment -- were the only two conditions that university officials said, with justification, were not negotiable. Officials were amenable to an outside review of the search process, real student involvement in the search for a new provost and a student role on the board of trustees, but students weren't interested. While it would have been nice if Ms. Fernandes's selection had been more popular, it really is not the students' place to name the president. That holds all the more true since they were unable to articulate reasonable grounds for their opposition. By any objective measure, Ms. Fernandes is well qualified to lead the world's only institution of higher learning for the deaf.

Equally distressing has been the behavior of some faculty members who have incited student dissent and abetted the shutdown of the school, when they should have been acting like grown-ups and telling students about the real world of consequences. The blockade confronted university administrators with a terrible dilemma. The protesters probably know the pain that would be caused by an image of students at the world's most famous school for the deaf being hauled off in handcuffs -- a particular affront to those who communicate with their hands. So official restraint was right and understandable. Opposition to the tactics of the protesters is emerging, and that could help in efforts to reclaim the campus.

But the unlawful protest has gone on for too long, and it's time for learning to resume.

It's so sad that so many students are having their educations interrupted this way. The poor students who pay good money and work hard for their schooling are stuck. :(

It's so sad that so many students are having their educations interrupted this way. The poor students who pay good money and work hard for their schooling are stuck. :(

Yeah, the parents are very upset and worried sick about their children in the dangerous environment.

The state of Voc Reb agencies are too unhappy either because waste alot of thousand dollars on their clients who entrolled Gallaudet. Now it turns into a bad reputation. :(

He is not making any point. We couldnt understand what the heck he talk abt.

Definition of SCOURGE :

scourge (skûrj) pronunciation
n.

1. A source of widespread dreadful affliction and devastation such as that caused by pestilence or war.
2. A means of inflicting severe suffering, vengeance, or punishment.
3. A whip used to inflict punishment.

tr.v., scourged, scourg·ing, scourg·es.

1. To afflict with severe or widespread suffering and devastation; ravage.
2. To chastise severely; excoriate.
3. To flog.

[Middle English, from Anglo-Norman escorge, from Old French escorgier, to whip, from Vulgar Latin *excorrigiāre : Latin ex-, intensive pref.; see ex– + Latin corrigia, thong (probably of Celtic origin).]

--------------------------------------

Excellent examples of the scourge from the old deaf guards can be found in one of Tom Bertling's published books.

AddALL.com - browse and compare book price: Tom Bertling

Looking at this particular book;

AddALL.com - American Sign Language: Shattering the Myth

You can see stories of scourge casted upon prominent deaf leaders and inspirational deaf people by the old deaf guards.

Through their actions, they have made the American Sign Language into some sort of a weapon than a communication method.

Let's all pay good homage to deaf leaders who lives have been catastrophically altered after becoming victims of cyber-bullying, rumor attacks either via email, newsgroups, blogs, postings, websites, falsified restraining orders, vandalism, and through many other undue intimidating actions.

And work together at eliminating these sources of scourge within the deaf communities.

Richard Roehm

No Thanks !! I would never want to purchase or read Tom Bertling's publish books. We had been heat debate for years at other Deaf forum.

You may next arrest. ;)

Me? All protestors are at 6th st gate while I updated all info on AD.com, tell me how?? Plus I am full time professional staff, if I got arrested and I would lost my job and I would become homeless, so forget it...

Finally arrest drama is over after Ryan Comerson told DPS to stop since already more than 130 arrested, final total of arrested numbers are 135... Now, Chris Corrigan made bailed out and back to campus who was first person arrested at 9 pm... Now Ryan Commerson told all one half group of 2nd wave and full 3rd wave to back all gates to block gates once again, so protest are still alive...

Go get your Golden Medals Of Honor to deaf society!

The 135 tickets are like golden medals of honor. A solid proof they did in fact the big fight for the deaf community. And it could be later a requirement in deaf leadership positions in the future. Go guys go there get your tickets , get your medals of honor to deaf society. And its $50 to get out of the city hotel. And that ticket is your lifetime medal of honor to deaf society! Go get them :)

And frame them!

Ricky Taylor should get one himself too and show it off on youtube!

Richard

Letter from Clerc Center Staff
Filed under: General, - Staff, FSSA — gufssa @ 5:12 pm

NOTE: The authors’ names are withheld due to fear of reprisals.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 13, 2006

ClercCenterProtest@yahoo.com

Teachers and Staff at the Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center Call for the Resignation of Dr. Jane K. Fernandes from Gallaudet University.

Washington, DC – October 13, 2006 – Following a meeting yesterday morning, a group of teachers and staff currently working at the colloquially-known Clerc Center resolved on a number of matters; the most pertinent is our call for Dr. Jane K. Fernandes to respectfully resign her post as president-select of Gallaudet University. We present as justification the following rationale and, finally, propose a series of mandates as steps toward healing the still-lingering damage from Dr. Fernandes’ tenure as Vice President of Pre-College National Mission Programs. As a result, we are opposed to allowing Dr. Fernandes the chance to impose similar damage on Gallaudet University as a whole.

We are representative of a larger Clerc Center community. We did not approve of Gallaudet University’s decision to close Clerc Center on October 11 and 12. The protesters were prepared to allow MSSD and Kendall staff on-campus so that education for pre-collegiate students could continue uninterrupted. University administrators shoulder the burden of responsibility for the two days of lost teaching time for those students.

While we do not condone negative tactics by either protesters or administration officials, we look forward to a peaceful resolution.

Rationale:
During her tenure as the vice president of Pre-College National Mission Programs (PCNMP) from 1995 to 2000, Dr. Jane K. Fernandes ignored, alienated, and disrespected teachers and staff. During a period of restructuring in 1996, the teachers and staff at PCNMP sought to offer additional advice and direction, only to be shunned and mocked. To continue our employment, we had to endure an atmosphere of distrust and fear. This statement of our oppression is long overdue.

As proof of Dr. Fernandes being an ineffectual leader and damaging the infrastructure of Clerc Center, we offer the following:

* A poll was conducted during the May protests. Fifty-eight percent of the teachers at the Clerc Center participated in this poll, where 82% stated they did not support the process that selected Dr. Fernandes as the 9th president.
* In addition to the first poll question, the second poll question asked teachers if they were ready to move on and accept Dr. Fernandes as the 9th president, 79% voted NO.
* Class sizes were drastically expanded with many levels of instructional needs in one class.
* Due to Dr. Fernandes’ changes in the educational programs at PCNMP, enrollment plummeted, only to increase dramatically after her departure from the Clerc Center.
* Many support staff members gave up their primary roles to intervene with a significant increase in student violence inside the school due to forced removal of the disciplinary system without implementation of alternative options.
* Dr. Fernandes saw no value in the faculty governance system and the grievance process, which were both eliminated during her tenure.
* Many jobs, departments, and programs were closed (i.e., Performing Arts Program, Special Opportunities Program, Woodshop, Driver’s Education, Communication Department, Career Development Program, International Student Exchange Program).
* The dissolution of Student Development program had a huge negative impact on the quality of student leadership (i.e. Peer Mediation, Judicial Board, Student Body Government, student-run enrichment days).
* After restructuring, department budgets were combined and teams had less control over their respective budgets. As a result, available monies for departments were reduced. This led to outdated materials and equipment available to teachers and staff.
* The dissolution of academic departments left teachers/staff no choice but to work/teach outside their content areas. Some competent and skilled people quit as a result of being asked to do things for which they weren’t qualified.
* The issue of accountability was not clearly defined. Under Dr. Fernandes, people didn’t know who to contact regarding policy and procedures.

As proof of Dr. Fernandes alienating and ignoring teachers and staff, we offer the following:

* The removal of tenure in a non-democratic way, without teacher input and involvement.
* Faculty status of teachers was stripped.
* Opportunities to apply for sabbatical leave were also denied. In the past, use of sabbatical leave made implementation of several successful programs possible (i.e., Structure of ASL and Deaf Studies courses, Minority/Multicultural Programs, Family Math program).
* In 1996, Lead Teachers asked for one full school year to plan, to set up and to implement a new system. They requested this time to find resources and to set aside time for training. Dr. Fernandes ignored the majority opinion, listening instead to selected advisors.
* Teachers’ requests to order certain books were ignored. Older resources were thrown out and new materials ordered without teacher input which caused problems for teachers using thematic instruction.
* When the Curriculum Enhancement program was implemented in place of the Elective Department, Dr. Fernandes allowed 40 plus students in many individual CE classes that lasted 90 minutes to allow grade team teachers and staff to meet and plan. CE Teachers at Kendall were helpless and unable to manage their classes and to discipline unruly students.
* When restructuring caused students and parents frustration, confusion, and sometimes, anger, teachers and staff members were left alone to bear the consequences of decisions they had no part in making.
* The Special Opportunity Program was disbanded without transition. The needs of deaf students with additional or unique needs were not being met. They often sat in “mainstream” classes and contributed little or nothing, which caused educational and emotional distractions for other students.

As proof of Dr. Fernandes creating an atmosphere of distrust and fear, we offer the following:

* Teachers and staff who have deaf children were threatened, personally and professionally, for not enrolling their children at Kendall or MSSD.
* Dr. Fernandes prevented teachers from meeting during work hours by encouraging the disbandment of the faculty organization.
* Termination of the Sunshine Fund that teachers and staff created for sending cards and/or gifts when appropriate for certain occasions (i.e., anniversaries, births, deaths, hospitalizations, weddings);
* Dr. Fernandes also allowed no support for personal milestones, losses and celebrations of any kind. She stated that “We are not here to have fun and play. We are here to work.”
* When people asked Dr. Fernandes for her input, she responded by telling us to make decisions ourselves, only to criticize us for our incompetence. We were constantly criticized for every little step we made and afraid to take risks.
* Forcing us to undergo radical change without any direction and often under harsh criticism resulted in such severe grieving that outside counselors and consultants were brought in to heal wounds. Dr. Fernandes was nowhere to be found.
* Dr. Fernandes put a stop to the Teacher Evaluation System that was used for many years. When problems escalated, she had the revised TES implemented. Dr. Fernandes did not bother with follow-up review to make sure the process was just and fair.
* The removal of the sabbatical leave during Dr. Fernandes’ administration occurred when she successfully manipulated a few personnel into supporting her decision and informed a certain member of the Gallaudet University Board of Trustees that the majority of faculty and staff agreed.

Mandates Proposed by Laurent Clerc Center Teachers/Staff:

* We deserve the opportunity to set up an organization where our voice will be heard.
* We desire shared governance.
* We support the FSSA’s demands.

(excerpt from Gally FSSA News)

:eek3: This is way out of control! I hope it is ended by now. GOD! I just paged my friend who is student at Gally and I know she is not that kind of do that. So wait and see when she page me.

I agreed with Reba.

Back